IGNORED

A real 6 pointer..!

Bar BS3

So, next up are Birmingham, on Tuesday night. A massive game. Arguably even moreso for them than it is for us..!

It is the epitome of a “6 pointer” with the difference in results having a massive bearing on where we find ourselves. 

IF we win, then it’s all but a 7 horse race for the top 6 spots, with the other teams having been cut adrift by a significant number of points, as games rapidly pass by. 

A draw would keep status quo, with another game gone. 

IF we lose, then Birmingham will feel it’s very much “game on” for a play off push.

So if either team win, it could be the difference between us pulling 9 points clear, or being pegged back to just 3 points, depending one who picks up the 3 points. 

MASSIVE game! Get yourselves there, if at all possible. Don’t forget that members can get tickets in the Dolman for just £15 for this one too. 

COYR!!

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Because winning not only gives us 3 points but also denies a key rival 3 points at the same time. The very definition of a “6 pointer”.

Not sure I understand because Derby can still pick up points so we won't get 6 points further ahead than them. 

So if we had won today it would have been a 6 pointer? Norwich didn't get 6 points today. 

Before today I had us competing against everyone as far down as 13th so any game against top half opposition would be a 6 pointer yeah? 

A six pointer is when you start 3 points ahead of the other team. if you win you are 6 points ahead of them thus the term 6 pointer. Lose and you are level.

In any case Birmingham are no threat to the play off places. Their football is way too negative. Gary (anti football) Monk will sit 2 lines of 4 just outside the box with the onus on us to break them down.

I expect a 0-0 or narrow 1-0 win.

Every match from here on is hugely important and what a positive position to be in. 

We are just where my pre season hopes wanted to be - in the top six with 14 games to go and the possibility  of slipping down if City get beaten or solidifying the top six position with a victory.

Nothing is decided by February and there’ll be plenty of twists and turns still to come.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

A six pointer is when you start 3 points ahead of the other team. if you win you are 6 points ahead of them thus the term 6 pointer. Lose and you are level.

In any case Birmingham are no threat to the play off places. Their football is way too negative. Gary (anti football) Monk will sit 2 lines of 4 just outside the box with the onus on us to break them down.

I expect a 0-0 or narrow 1-0 win.

That’s not the definition of a six pointer! You don’t have to start 3 points ahead.

A six-pointer is where you’re playing a team near you in the table where your victory not only gives yourselves 3 points but also denies a key rival 3 points - compared to the opposite scenario where you lose and your rival wins, that’s a 6 point swing either way.

7 hours ago, Pezo said:

Not sure I understand because Derby can still pick up points so we won't get 6 points further ahead than them. 

So if we had won today it would have been a 6 pointer? Norwich didn't get 6 points today. 

Before today I had us competing against everyone as far down as 13th so any game against top half opposition would be a 6 pointer yeah? 

It’s not to do with how many points you end up ahead of someone. It’s about how your points tally compared to the close rival you are playing can swing by six points depending on the outcome. If you consider anyone down to 13th to be a key rival for a playoff place then yes you could apply the “six pointer” definition, though really it tends to apply to teams closer in the table than that.

With a quarter of the season still remaining 12-14 games then all teams within 10 points of 6th will still have an eye on the play offs. That takes it down to Brentford in 16th and if they continue their run they won't be far off. Top of the form table. From 8th to 16th all within 6 to 9 pts so not out of it quite yet, if still those points adrift in 4 games time then it will be a long shot and play off places will be clearer. Think the order of top 7 won't be clear until the last couple of games though.

Archived