IGNORED

Our defence

hoxton casual

Norwich were  very good going  forward and at times tied our defence in knots. Wright will be having nightmares about Hernandez. Frankie tried his hardest to keep us in it. I didn't think we would lose with our defence if we scored twice. Bad day at the office. Well played Notwich. They played really attractive football. Farke really knows his onions.

20 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Norwich were  very good going  forward and at times tied our defence in knots. Wright will be having nightmares about Hernandez. Frankie tried his hardest to keep us in it. I didn't think we would lose with our defence if we scored twice. Bad day at the office. Well played Notwich. They played really attractive football. Farke really knows his onions.

Bad day at the office?  Do you realise who we were playing today. 

I thought our defence was decent today but our problems stemmed from giving the ball away cheaply and a lot of misplaced passes. All in all we competed well with a side that were top of the league but thought Bailey had a bit of chasing on our right side and would like to have seen Eros on at the break.

I wish we would stop playing BW at right back.  Great centre back cover but struggles at right back defensively and going forward.  It’s not like last season as we now have better in that position.  Pisano was playing really well at both ends of the pitch and should be back in the team.

49 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wright and Dasilva struggled. Pack was too slow in protecting the defence a number of times. I thought Kalas was fine and Webster was as good as ever.

I thînk this is spot on today. Pack was pushing forward, more than he often does, which gave us number going forward for sure, but he wasn't always able to get back when we lost possession. And after the subs he was as good as playing an extra defender anyway.

10 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

And now his O’Dowdas !

Just watched the highlights on Quest.

Their winner came from a lost ball in their final third.  Weimann is berating someone for losing the ball and just laying there.  Think it was Pato.  

What were we like getting back yesterday - from someone who was there?  The tv stream might’ve give a false impression that we left our back 4 more exposed than normal?

We have a solid defence....sadly undone by two goals pulled back to near the penalty spot.....the first Norwich goal and the wolves goal almost identical...

The second goal was just persistent pushing and over running the box.....the defence were in all directions......nowt to be done there.....the third was a piece of individual brilliance and he curled it around Frankie.....you can easily see why Norwich are top......Wolves in he upper half of the Prem.....we shouldn't be too hasty in being all doom and gloom....we need to support strongly and will the team to start another Run...Brum, Leeds etc Will be difficult....but then they were always going to be.....the most difficult thing for us as fans is to be objective if we lose the next couple......

(O'Dowda scored the best Bristol City goal I have ever seen......better than Bryan/Smith In the Man Ure game on the basis of he run and the skill to.get past the defender before planting it in the bottom LH corner)

21 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

We have a solid defence....sadly undone by two goals pulled back to near the penalty spot.....the first Norwich goal and the wolves goal almost identical...

The second goal was just persistent pushing and over running the box.....the defence were in all directions......nowt to be done there.....the third was a piece of individual brilliance and he curled it around Frankie.....you can easily see why Norwich are top......Wolves in he upper half of the Prem.....we shouldn't be too hasty in being all doom and gloom....we need to support strongly and will the team to start another Run...Brum, Leeds etc Will be difficult....but then they were always going to be.....the most difficult thing for us as fans is to be objective if we lose the next couple......

(O'Dowda scored the best Bristol City goal I have ever seen......better than Bryan/Smith In the Man Ure game on the basis of he run and the skill to.get past the defender before planting it in the bottom LH corner)

JET Vs Gas has to be up there too

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched the highlights on Quest.

Their winner came from a lost ball in their final third.  Weimann is berating someone for losing the ball and just laying there.  Think it was Pato.  

What were we like getting back yesterday - from someone who was there?  The tv stream might’ve give a false impression that we left our back 4 more exposed than normal?

Thought their opening goal and winning goal excellent- the one I was most disappointed with watching it on Quest was their 2nd equalizer, we just seemed to stand watching- nobody busted a gut as the ball was still alive in the box. Each to their own though.

@General Zod

Bailey Wright at RB is an interesting one IMO. As an RB with a more standard full back on each side, no not if we can help it. If it's 4 CB's- or more accurately 4 players who can come inside to create a 4 CB type situation or a back 3 as and when- remember Wright, Flint, Baker and Magnússon. That along with Brownhill and Bryan in the wide midfield areas gave us so much versatility. In other words if Da Silva LB then play Hunt or Pisano if we can help it. If Kelly LB though then maybe Wright tactically could help replicate last season- Paterson behind Weimann 4-4-1-1 now he is starting to find some form and suddenly there are possibilities to replicate...

In short, fitness issues notwithstanding IMO the only way we play Wright at RB should be if we play Kelly at LB and he can come inside more readily than. i.e. Wright, Kalas, Webster and Kelly. Having a mix of the 2? Doesn't quite do it for me, not in a game like this but it does give an easy option to switch to a back 3 in-game and quite quickly/comfortably.

Oh and O'Dowda's goal was truly brilliant...if Messi scored that...

17 hours ago, MelksRed said:

For individual brilliance, Maynard's vs QPR is not just the best City goal I've seen, it is up with the best, full stop - had it been scored by Messi or Ronaldo?

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought their opening goal and winning goal excellent- the one I was most disappointed with watching it on Quest was their 2nd equalizer, we just seemed to stand watching- nobody busted a gut as the ball was still alive in the box. Each to their own though.

@General Zod

Bailey Wright at RB is an interesting one IMO. As an RB with a more standard full back on each side, no not if we can help it. If it's 4 CB's- or more accurately 4 players who can come inside to create a 4 CB type situation or a back 3 as and when- remember Wright, Flint, Baker and Magnússon. That along with Brownhill and Bryan in the wide midfield areas gave us so much versatility. In other words if Da Silva LB then play Hunt or Pisano if we can help it. If Kelly LB though then maybe Wright tactically could help replicate last season- Paterson behind Weimann 4-4-1-1 now he is starting to find some form and suddenly there are possibilities to replicate...

In short, fitness issues notwithstanding IMO the only way we play Wright at RB should be if we play Kelly at LB and he can come inside more readily than. i.e. Wright, Kalas, Webster and Kelly. Having a mix of the 2? Doesn't quite do it for me, not in a game like this but it does give an easy option to switch to a back 3 in-game and quite quickly/comfortably.

Oh and O'Dowda's goal was truly brilliant...if Messi scored that...

If we are picking full-backs, especially RBs based on ability to switch to a 3, then I see no disadvantage of picking Pisano, he can play all across the back line inc LB. 

Wright has a very good game v Wolves and suspect he got the nod based on that. 

We are defending quite narrow this season as crosses from wide statistically less likely to lead to goals. However both Wolves and Norwich don’t cross it when they get it wide in our last third. They do the Man City thing and get it to the 18 yard box width before crossing and in most cases it was a low cross / pull-back. 

You could possibly argue that Wright should’ve stayed narrow and let Hernández have it, and then double up as he approached the box?  Easy thought in hindsight. 

It perhaps exposes a weakness against teams that don’t cross from traditional touch line positions, but those that work it 20 yards infield. 

One for LJ and his assistants to look at. 

I can see why he went back 3 in both games. It worked v Wolves where we probably went more 3-1 (Pack) 4 (2 WBs) 2.

However v Norwich it was more 3412 Taylor joining Weimann because Diedhiou was taken off. 

Personally I think much of the issue in Saturday was failure to get behind the ball as a team in transition. That was before the subs were made...I really don’t understand how Watkins becomes a scapegoat when he comes on at 3-2 down!

Archived