IGNORED

KISS LJ

old_eastender

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid is an acronym first used by the US Navy and adopted by IBM in the 1980s... one which is most apt for LJ I feel.

Stick to the basics, the tried and trusted formula that bought us 7 league wins on the trot and I'm confident we can beat Brum and put good distance between ourselves and the chasing pack.

However, if LJ starts dicking around thinking he is a master tactician then we can forget 3 pts and with Preston to come Saturday, will be well into another costly LJ winless run. 

Come on LJ you have won over a lot of the doubters, don't screw it up now!

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Stick to the basics, the tried and trusted formula that bought us 7 league wins on the trot and I'm confident we can beat Brum and put good distance between ourselves and the chasing pack.

That formula you refer to - wasn’t it LJ that came up with that ? 

20 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid is an acronym first used by the US Navy and adopted by IBM in the 1980s... one which is most apt for LJ I feel.

However, if LJ starts dicking around thinking he is a master tactician then we can forget 3 pts and with Preston to come Saturday, will be well into another costly LJ winless run. 

...and that’s what he did Saturday.  It was only at 3-2 down with 19 minutes to go he changed it, and because we were getting bossed.

Dont get me wrong, I would’ve preferred he made a more subtle change at 2-2, before their winner to try to wrestle back possession, but it didn’t happen.

Despite my criticism of LJ in the past it’s a bit hypocritical to laud the Taylor / Palmer sub v Bolton, the Dasilva at h-t v QPR, but then be critical of what he did Saturday.

3 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The guy who has helped us win 7 in a row in league, get us to 6th and looked great at weekend against top of league? 

Only one goal in the last month, and that was from the spot. He does help but working alongside people, which is baffling as Johnson consistently plays him up front by his own. He is almost never part of Johnson's constant shuffling of players in and out of the side, and even when we weren't grinding the results out and looking great he was easy to mark and not fast enough at times. He's undroppable at a time we can't afford undroppables. We need to make the most of our two games in hand and if we can't get past Brum with him up front we need to switch - at least - the formation.

4 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Only one goal in the last month, and that was from the spot. He does help but working alongside people, which is baffling as Johnson consistently plays him up front by his own. He is almost never part of Johnson's constant shuffling of players in and out of the side, and even when we weren't grinding the results out and looking great he was easy to mark and not fast enough at times. He's undroppable at a time we can't afford undroppables. We need to make the most of our two games in hand and if we can't get past Brum with him up front we need to switch - at least - the formation.

Fam puts a shift in, as required and does a job for the team as is necessary for the team and style as structured. Don't think of his role as only a goal scorer, we don't have one.

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Fam puts a shift in, as required and does a job for the team as is necessary for the team and style as structured. Don't think of his role as only a goal scorer, we don't have one.

Be nice for him to start scoring more regularly, from here on in. One in three would be good.

12 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

But that's his nominal job as he's played up front by himself. His 'shifts' come in by having to drop back when he's marked out to feed others  Which is why he hasn't had a goal in open play in over a month.

42 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

He's been a key element of our terrific form, why would anybody want to drop him?  FFS.

7 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Old.. based on your provocatively negative use of words re Lj even his cup runs and transformation this season hasn't won you over. Perhaps you never will be which must be sad.

If you are there tonight and Saturday please post your views. 

I will, not that you won't attack me for having them considering that you, and others, can't be bothered to respond to what I say on its own merit.

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think it’s something like 1 in 2.75 games so he’s hoping it gets worse 

See above, and also see my post where - as he is played up front by himself - goal ratio is a huge part of what he's supposed to be doing. If you honestly think I want to be right about him then I'm not the one talking out of my arse. Stroke your ego somewhere else and pay attention to what he does tonight.

8 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

He's been a key element of our terrific form, why would anybody want to drop him?  FFS. 

Again, what parts have I got wrong?

9 hours ago, sephjnr said:

But that's his nominal job as he's played up front by himself. His 'shifts' come in by having to drop back when he's marked out to feed others  Which is why he hasn't had a goal in open play in over a month.

SO you would rather him play in a different system, maybe score 4 goals in the last month, BUT as a team only gain half the amount of points?

8 minutes ago, wood_red said:

SO you would rather him play in a different system, maybe score 4 goals in the last month, BUT as a team only gain half the amount of points?

Why can't we have both? You're speaking like the 3/4 people around him are dependent on him to enable / assist them, like he's deliberately there to draw players away from them. If that's the role that LJ has for him, and he's comfortable doing that then it's great as long as it works. All I'm saying is that he was hired as a direct replacement for Kodjia and the formation still represents that at face value.

18 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

considering that you, and others, can't be bothered to respond to what I say on its own merit

The conceneus seems to be against your view - why change a winning formula ?

Whilst we all recognise Fam is not exactly banging the goals in, the system seems to work for the good of the team 

Your two up front suggestion with Fam on the bench is unproven. Which two anyway ? Taylor and who ? 

19 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The conceneus seems to be against your view - why change a winning formula ?

Ask me that again tomorrow. If we can't beat Birmingham tonight then we'll be three without a win across all comps. I don't care about concensus, I care about our side getting back on winning terms.

Whilst we all recognise Fam is not exactly banging the goals in, the system seems to work for the good of the team 

See my last post. If Fam is comfortable with diverting attention from the rest of the squad then it's great as long as it still works.

Your two up front suggestion with Fam on the bench is unproven. Which two anyway ? Taylor and who ? 

This is the issue, and - as above - if we don't get a win this week from both games this will be an issue. If we're insistent with Fam and only Fam doing 90 minutes per week like clockwork then we need to give Taylor, Weimann, Pato or even Pack a glance at teasing the second-man role. Like above, if sides figure out that Fam is diversionary they're more likely to mark the others, so put someone else up with him in short bursts to mess with that, and give Fam some space.

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

I will, not that you won't attack me for having them considering that you, and others, can't be bothered to respond to what I say on its own merit.

See above, and also see my post where - as he is played up front by himself - goal ratio is a huge part of what he's supposed to be doing. If you honestly think I want to be right about him then I'm not the one talking out of my arse. Stroke your ego somewhere else and pay attention to what he does tonight.

Again, what parts have I got wrong?

The part where you think Diedhiou is being used such that his role is to score all our goals.

There's a bit more to football than simply "striker must score", which is why we were able to look so dangerous (and won) playing a system without a striker at Fulham last season.

Diedhiou's record is better than 1 in 3 which is a very decent record and is on course to reach 16-17 goals this season, which is close to what would normally be a top scorer in this division.

@sephjnr I’m not sure we are 100% saying the same thing, but on another thread I questioned whether in the current set up, is Fam the only one LJ trusts / thinks can play the system. 

I argued that when we switched to 4141 we were more direct and needed Fam as our focal point. However over time, as familiarity and confidence grew, I challenged whether we needed Fam as much as we did originally...and pondered whether someone else could play the role, albeit bringing different “things” to it. 

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

Why can't we have both? You're speaking like the 3/4 people around him are dependent on him to enable / assist them, like he's deliberately there to draw players away from them. If that's the role that LJ has for him, and he's comfortable doing that then it's great as long as it works. All I'm saying is that he was hired as a direct replacement for Kodjia and the formation still represents that at face value.

As a club, in our recent history we've always had strikers who we could rely on to score us 20 plus goals a season. 

The problem is, we've been so heavily reliant on them that when they didn't perform we didn't have anybody who could step up. What it also meant was that our defence suffered. We felt we could outscore teams and that rarely worked. Look at the sides that had maynard/baldock/jet (13/14)/kodjia/abraham in them, those teams had a goalscorer who we could rely on to get us 20 goals a season, but at the same time we never progressed. Then look at the 07/08 team, Darren Byfield was our top scorer with 9 that season, but we had goals from all over the pitch and a solid defence, hence why we got into the pay offs. 

Now we are very similar to that season, we have numerous players (Diedhiou, Paterson, O'dowda, Eliasson, taylor, Brownhill, palmer, weimann) who can chip in. Personally I think this method works so much better than having an out and out goal scorer

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

He wasn't hired as a direct replacement for Kodja. LJ said at the time he's not the same type of player as Kodja, which he clearly isn't and never looked like it.

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

As a club, in our recent history we've always had strikers who we could rely on to score us 20 plus goals a season. 

The problem is, we've been so heavily reliant on them that when they didn't perform we didn't have anybody who could step up. What it also meant was that our defence suffered. We felt we could outscore teams and that rarely worked. Look at the sides that had maynard/baldock/jet (13/14)/kodjia/abraham in them, those teams had a goalscorer who we could rely on to get us 20 goals a season, but at the same time we never progressed. Then look at the 07/08 team, Darren Byfield was our top scorer with 9 that season, but we had goals from all over the pitch and a solid defence, hence why we got into the pay offs.  

Now we are very similar to that season, we have numerous players (Diedhiou, Paterson, O'dowda, Eliasson, taylor, Brownhill, palmer, weimann) who can chip in. Personally I think this method works so much better than having an out and out goal scorer

CAN chip in, absolutely. But we're not in CAN. We're in NEED TO. We are heavily reliant in Fam to be the set-up man and teams are coming around to that. Fam being one-in-three is good. Fam, Weimann, Pato and Brownhill/Pack being one-in-three as in unit would scare the shit out of people.

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

He wasn't hired as a direct replacement for Kodja. LJ said at the time he's not the same type of player as Kodja, which he clearly isn't and never looked like it.

So if that's the case, why is he up on his own then almost every game? If we don't win the next two, why not take pressure off him by pairing him up or put him in the hole which is more natural for someone to attract attention from the defenders?

13 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

CAN chip in, absolutely. But we're not in CAN. We're in NEED TO. We are heavily reliant in Fam to be the set-up man and teams are coming around to that. Fam being one-in-three is good. Fam, Weimann, Pato and Brownhill/Pack being one-in-three as in unit would scare the shit out of people.

So if that's the case, why is he up on his own then almost every game? If we don't win the next two, why not take pressure off him by pairing him up or put him in the hole which is more natural for someone to attract attention from the defenders?

And they have been chipping in, I'm pretty certain we've scored in every league game since Leeds (maybe completely wrong...), that shows we have goals throughout the team, even if they aren't all from Fam

Aside from his attacking role, Famara also plays a vital role when defending set pieces. I suppose such statistics are captured by the club's analysts but I wouldn't mind betting that Famara makes more defensive headers from set pieces than any other player in the squad. It's not a role that could be reliably performed by Taylor, Watkins et al thus Famara's absence would leave us exposed.

Famara's role in the team is more than just scoring or setting up goals. It's been well proven this season how much our team is far more than the sum of its parts. Famara is an exemplar of the playing style which LJ has introduced.

18 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Congratulations, you have over taken Robbored as our number one Troll. No mean feat?

Archived