IGNORED

Championship attendance %

Robbored

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

5? Rotherham, Brentford, Millwall, Swansea and QPR. I wouldn’t include Reading or Preston who are lower but not by that much. 

Yeah, my bad. I didn’t count the 24ishk ones either. 

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Nor do I !

Other than the 600 odd in the Atyeo.

The paste below is from the OS. So would expect this to be accurate.

THURSDAY, MAY 4TH 2017 The attendance for City’s Sky Bet Championship final day clash with Birmingham City will be the largest league crowd at Ashton Gate in 37 years. Not since the Division One days of 1979/80 has a league fixture in BS3 attracted so many supporters to City’s home. At present the crowd for Sunday’s season finale has eclipsed the 25,000-mark. That leaves just under 300 tickets left available before the club put up the sold out signs. The fully-redeveloped Ashton Gate has a seated capacity of just over 26,459, but a number of safety restrictions have been placed on Sunday’s fixture.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought Elland Road held about 40,000- I must be behind the times. :dunno:

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Highest crowd this season is 36,524 with Norwich having a maximum 2,465 tickets. It beat the 36,002 a couple of years ago v Newcastle.

We opened up, and sold, every corporate seat, table, cellar and dungeon to get to that figure. Sheffield United is also sold out to everyone so we can anticipate 36,500 for that game too.

The 37,900 or so figure is the number of seats, but there are a number not sold due to segregation etc. 

1 hour ago, Revike said:

It was reported that ManU brought 2641 for that game, which would mean 1500-1600 empty seats in Atyeo? That would leave 23,447 home tickets sold in the other three stands which would match closely to WestonRobin's chart.

There were, circa, 1,000 City fans in the Atyeo for the United game.

44 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

There were, circa, 1,000 City fans in the Atyeo for the United game.

Thanks, that makes sense combined with Homer's post about 26,459 being the real maximum. So it seems a home sellout now is ~22,200 plus whatever away allocation is sold in the Atyeo.

Some of those capacities are incorrect - Hillsborough holds nowhere close to that.

Good to see our crowds - I recall when we got promoted in 97/8 our average was 11k and we were the best supported team in the third tier at the time!

So a team like us that has made incremental improvements are gradually accruing more fans - contrast those with teams like Blackburn, Birmingham who have won major trophies and come crashing back to earth - their supports have dwindled pretty markedly.

Based on a 27,000 capacity - admittedly my source was Wikipedia but I have used wiki for the other grounds in the Championship so I'm remaining consistent.

Our average % full would be 74.30% (but I have our attendance average as 20,060 from BBC reports rather than the 20,660 stated above).

The average filling of an away ground when we play is 70.88% (capacities from wiki & attendances from BBC).

Basically, we're slightly more attractive as an away day than we are for home teams fans to turn up and watch.

This does include a bumper crowd at the City Ground for Martin O'Neill's return. Other highlights include Swansea and Norwich (over 95% full) but I think Norwich have a very respectable fan base who turn up in large numbers regardless of the division they are in.

I don't actually find the attendance figures that insightful - a lot of what is declared is based on season ticket sales (a point laboured in other threads), so it's only relevant when it's noticeably low or noticeably high. I collated the numbers because I was working on something with similar numbers and just carried on keeping tabs each week - even though I lost interest in the attendance figures after we announced the same attendance 2 games running.

As much as I don't have an ax to grind with Wigan, Blackburn or Preston, they definitely get the "your ground's too big for you award"; some of the lowest numbers & some of the lowest % full. Yet no one in the football world would dream of suggesting they merge with other local clubs in the same way they have done in the past, about us and our neighbours (Blackburn & Preston have a decorated history, Wigan could arguably have been taking [very few] fans off Bolton's gates even before their FA Cup win).

A final footnote; so ironic that Aston Villa have 82% of their ground full, that number gets mentioned an awful lot round these parts.

35 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Some of those capacities are incorrect - Hillsborough holds nowhere close to that.

Good to see our crowds - I recall when we got promoted in 97/8 our average was 11k and we were the best supported team in the third tier at the time!

So a team like us that has made incremental improvements are gradually accruing more fans - contrast those with teams like Blackburn, Birmingham who have won major trophies and come crashing back to earth - their supports have dwindled pretty markedly.

This is the great thing- even when we went up 20 years ago, under Ward and Benny I think we only averaged 13k was it- we've grown our fanbase incrementally and arguably exponentially in a generation.

Even when we went back down, given the tiny away attendances I don't think it fell that much under Pulis and Fawthrop- the way it has grown in 20 years is go good to see.

I hadn’t appreciated that our capacity compares this favourably to others - better than 11 other teams including some who have been in the PL recently, i.e. West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Reading and Hull (on those figures).

9 hours ago, eardun said:

I hadn’t appreciated that our capacity compares this favourably to others - better than 11 other teams including some who have been in the PL recently, i.e. West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Reading and Hull (on those figures).

It's also higher than 6 of the 20 PL stadiums. 

4 minutes ago, Canary_Yellow said:

Just for context on Norwich cos I saw us mentioned a couple of times....

We had 19,671 season ticket holders when we were in league one.

I didn’t come on here just to mention that though, really I’m here to ask very politely that you beat Leeds, please!

?

You're up regardless, leaving the scraps to us and Sheffield United I fear. Unless Pukki gets an injury but the bloke just seems to go on and on. 

As for the ST holders thing you benefited greatly from FOMO. A limited capacity and a realistic fear that once you stopped buying an ST you wouldn't be able to get back on the ladder when things got better. Still a great figure but one born of scarcity as well as intrinsic demand.

4 minutes ago, SR1 said:

You're up regardless, leaving the scraps to us and Sheffield United I fear. Unless Pukki gets an injury but the bloke just seems to go on and on. 

As for the ST holders thing you benefited greatly from FOMO. A limited capacity and a realistic fear that once you stopped buying an ST you wouldn't be able to get back on the ladder when things got better. Still a great figure but one born of scarcity as well as intrinsic demand.

That’s true on the scarcity of demand point, but to have that level of demand in league one is still pretty good going. Plenty of other clubs have similar size stadiums and don’t get close. Geography is a factor too of course.

Funny how different fans look at things differently - you look at us and think we’re going to keep rattling off the wins, I look at it nervously and think that you and sheff united could go unbeaten to the end of the season leaving a record total needed for second.

I actually think an injury to Buendía would be at least as costly as losing pukki. But you’re right, that would be the thing that would jeopardise our progress the most. Nothing in football is guaranteed though. You’d expect us to beat Swansea no doubt, I’m far more nervous!

11 minutes ago, Canary_Yellow said:

That’s true on the scarcity of demand point, but to have that level of demand in league one is still pretty good going. Plenty of other clubs have similar size stadiums and don’t get close. Geography is a factor too of course.

Funny how different fans look at things differently - you look at us and think we’re going to keep rattling off the wins, I look at it nervously and think that you and sheff united could go unbeaten to the end of the season leaving a record total needed for second.

I actually think an injury to Buendía would be at least as costly as losing pukki. But you’re right, that would be the thing that would jeopardise our progress the most. Nothing in football is guaranteed though. You’d expect us to beat Swansea no doubt, I’m far more nervous!

I went to your place the other week, we were very good first 50 mins but you turned it up a gear after that and sliced through us at will. Didn't help that we had a cb at rb against your lightening quick lw, but you're definitely the best team I've seen this year. You will win the league by at least 5 points imo.

19 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I think SR1 and Canary_Yellow should get a room .?

Going to have to rename the forum. The football forum sounds like an idea. Oh. Wait.. 

13 minutes ago, Canary_Yellow said:

Norwich's catchment are is in fact enormous. Something like 800,000 in Norfolk. No professional club within 45 miles (and I suspect that you don't refer to Ipswich as a professional club!), with the next being 70 odd miles away (Peterborough). 

We're hoping that you stumble, but you've met every challenge head on. With Pukki and, as you say, Buendia, in the team you're scoring the goals that we're leaving on the pitch. That could change of course, but I think back to when we did you at Carrow Road (you did start that game well to be fair) compared to now great credit should go to Farke.

Anyway, a trip to Ashton Gate has to be seen as very difficult. City's record this season speaks for itself. Just hope that we can maintain a performance standard for two games in a row and that they dip slightly below their best.

33 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I went to your place the other week, we were very good first 50 mins but you turned it up a gear after that and sliced through us at will. Didn't help that we had a cb at rb against your lightening quick lw, but you're definitely the best team I've seen this year. You will win the league by at least 5 points imo.

That just makes me more nervous! So long as you start thinking you “should” do something, you start worrying you might not.

im just mentally weak?

19 minutes ago, SR1 said:

Steady on. Keep your fantasies to yourself ?

Just keep your replica shirts on,oh! And a pair of football boots.......must try it with the missus later.?

Archived