IGNORED

How the hell did we fail to score yesterday?

reddogkev

Still can't get my head around this, I thought every single player was excellent, and we created numerous attacks.

Seems that we literally did everything but score.  Even after Semenyo was sent off, we still attacked with serious intent.

Based on what I saw, we should have won that at least 4-2.

How does this happen?  It's not as if Derby even defended that well.  Whatever happens in the summer, if we can sign the man to put away these chances, the top 6 places will be there for the taking.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Still can't get my head around this, I thought every single player was excellent, and we created numerous attacks.

Seems that we literally did everything but score.  Even after Semenyo was sent off, we still attacked with serious intent.

How does this happen?  It's not as if Derby even defended that well.  Whatever happens in the summer, if we can sign the man to put away these chances, the top 6 places will be there for the taking.

Big "If" though. Can we find a player like Pukki or Maupayy who won't cost too much? Or if not, is SL willing to let LJ splash the cash? Is Semenyo ready good enough for this level and ready to step up? Whatever happens, the addition or lack of a 20 goal per season striker is likely to define how we do next season, just as it probably has done this season.

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You have answered your own question - we do not have a clinical finisher and that has been a problem all season.

In addition, our delivery of crosses, corners and free kicks is , in the main, dreadful ( aside form Ellison).

That said, the quality can be fantastic but your forwards have to attack the ball - we don’t, we stand and wait for it to come to us and Fam is the biggest culprit for this.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

According to @REDOXO its because we never had a shot on target. ?

2 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

A lot of the chances were straight at the keeper so even though we had 11 on target we didn’t really test him out. 

He had at least one smart save to make in the first half, and was beaten twice in the second but saved by the woodwork and Martyn Waghorn - the latter marginally thicker than the former.

More to the point, we dominated possession in their final third.

As LJ said, the football Gods were not with us that day.

I superstitiously judge how we are going to do by what is playing on the car stereo when I arrive in Ashton.  Yesterday it was MGMT - Days That Got Away.  :crying:

We don't create enough good quality chances and we don't have enough players who can finish chances. It's a simple equation. Eliasson crosses are our only legitimate supply line for goals, everything else is give and go with Fam and runs into the box.

In many ways yesterday was not an archetypal City performance. We played with more urgency and pace and got bodies forward, but in the main before Eliasson, we were playing through the middle and in the channels and shooting early and from range.

The latter, probably prompted by Bannan's goal last week and by the weather, is a bit bizarre as we are a poor team shooting from outside the box AND we were doing so when playing INTO the wind first half. Brownhill actually tried twice from over 30 yards.

I said before KO given the wind was dropping as the afternoon went on, the advantage would be with whoever attacked the South Stand first while it was still strong. I wouldn't underestimate how important that was, especially as the first goal was important. 

Take out our attempts from outside the box and our best chances were from crosses second half, but there was nothing that was clear cut as we don't attack with enough pace and we simply don't have enough natural finishers to make the most of crosses. 

Scoring has been an issue all season, not just yesterday.Tbh despite us having decent possession and tidy approach play I couldn’t see us scoring yesterday. In the first half our shots were from distance and only required routine saves, although we got closer to scoring after the break it was generally through hustle and bustle rather than carving out really clear cut chances. I was anxious, more than once, that Derby would add to their tally as they created more clear cut chances and I’m not convinced that their second off -side ‘goal’ was actually off-side.

Key observations:

Tend to agree with Olé’s points in the previous post

We haven’t got an out and out proven goal scorer

We don’t usual create a real threat from set pieces

Although Fammy is a real team player he is too often isolated and often has the ball in wider positions meaning there is no one to aim at in the middle

Our midfield play is often slow and deliberate so rarely do we thread a killer ball forward 

To be more successful it will be critical to create a successful scoring partnership or partnerships. Which means  (1) spending lots on a quality proven striker or even two (2) finding another Kodja-type player from overseas a lower league (3) changing our playing style and midfield so we have more creative midfield options (4) a loanee from Premiership. Personally, think (hope) we will see a combination of 2 and 3 and 4 next season.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He had at least one smart save to make in the first half, and was beaten twice in the second but saved by the woodwork and Martyn Waghorn - the latter marginally thicker than the former.

I superstitiously judge how we are going to do by what is playing on the car stereo when I arrive in Ashton.  Yesterday it was MGMT - Days That Got Away.  :crying:

He made a out standing save in the 2nd half also. 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's your problem, should have Yazz, the only way is up on repeat .... schoolboy error :yes:

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He may be thicker but I would have liked him here...rated as "shit" by many on this forum...

If so I'm not sure what that makes fammy...

Archived