IGNORED

How much can we spend & will we spend it well?

Unan

Not at all- if it proves value excellent, but you can also find value on free transfers in the Championship, yet with more of the here and now.

All about balance overall- right signing over knee jerk costly signing any day. For example at this time, if at all possible I'd have gone with Nick Powell on a free over Smodzics. Nothing at all to do with snobbery but a combination of a good track record combined with age vs value.

21 minutes ago, Chappers said:

What’s the issue with Non League signings? Are we now up our own a**es so much now that we are beyond looking for value? 

We have always been a bit snobbish as a club about non league players and have missed out as a result. I was not alone in wanting Andre Gray when Luton were in the Conference for instance.

Some of our fans are still snobbish it seems. I put it down to a fixation with celebrity for its own sake. As @Mr Popodopoloussays above, the right player is not necessarily the most expensive.

On 19/05/2019 at 15:45, Major Isewater said:

We all took ‘ bold ‘ to be buying big , what if he meant ‘ bold ‘ as in buying players like Cundy and Szmodics , throwing in academy players in to the first team ? 

That’s pretty bold .

More or less what he said earlier on radio.

5 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

FFP is a joke as it allows clubs that have been successful historically to prosper because they have infrastructure in place that allows them to get huge match day revenues etc. and spend large amounts on players without being penalised. 

A counter argument here though, is that clubs can spend unlimited sums on infrastructure, academy- (as well as a few other unrelated areas e.g. community expenditure, depreciation of non footballing assets and women's football).

If an owner wants to spend on building a world beating academy like e.g. Ajax, a top class training ground, a new ground the likes of which the world has never seen- well that is good for the club, it has the infrastructure in place and can actually help with growth- it takes time though. More sustainable than pouring it down a money pit of player wages without medium-long term infrastructure to support it- see Portsmouth as an example. OTOH, if the infrastructure is too big for the club that can be a problem too- google Reynolds Arena Darlington.

38 minutes ago, norwichrobin said:

SL cashed shares in yesterday for 170 million

One trader said - this could be headed for Bristol City and a push to the prem - source evening standard

I have a mate who said the same and works in the city but it was for various projects that SL has his interests in but he and his colleagues had heard that a large portion is being invested into BCFC for refinancing the club!!

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I have a mate who said the same and works in the city but it was for various projects that SL has his interests in but he and his colleagues had heard that a large portion is being invested into BCFC for refinancing the club!!

I would think that monies are earmarked for the impending development of the arena etc rather than the football club ? 

Archived