IGNORED

Faroe Islands

Red-Robbo

After riding roughshod over family whinges that they wanted to go somewhere hot, I have booked us 10 days in the Faroe Islands this summer. It's somewhere I've always wanted to go.

Have any other Otibers visited there - and do they have any tips?

We are staying in Torshavn.

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

After riding roughshod over family whinges that they wanted to go somewhere hot, I have booked us 10 days in the Faroe Islands this summer. It's somewhere I've always wanted to go.

Don’t wear a ‘ save the whale ‘ badge .

I went there for a day as part of a cruise. Its a very picturesque place even the housing looks like its from a different world. From memory the main tour consisted of a boat trip to see some rock caverns, grottos (you get quite close to the cliffs on a decent sized boat) and bird spotting mainly puffins, sounds a bit dull but was actually a good day out. We even drove past the football stadium on the way there!

20 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

I went there for a day as part of a cruise. Its a very picturesque place even the housing looks like its from a different world. From memory the main tour consisted of a boat trip to see some rock caverns, grottos (you get quite close to the cliffs on a decent sized boat) and bird spotting mainly puffins, sounds a bit dull but was actually a good day out. We even drove past the football stadium on the way there!

It’s a Faroe way for a day cruise . 

On 04/06/2019 at 17:58, Red-Robbo said:

Never been to the Faroes, but always fancied the Azores.

Never liked Egypt...

All sand 'n flies.....

On 05/06/2019 at 14:44, TMWANG50 said:

Also called there for a day whilst on a cruise to Iceland and Greenland. Picturesque as you say, can remember from the coach trip querky houses, 1000 year old church, salmon steps on the river and a great view of the football stadium near to Torshavn harbour as we drove back in. Neat little stadium that would be the envy of that 'other' lot.

Well, I can report it's very nice and the Faroese have that typical Scandinavian openness and candour (and most speak English intelligibly).

The bjor (beer) is bloody great and the aquavit is pretty superb, but apart from one attempt at eating baked razorbill I've avoided the more extreme foodstuffs. They do this wind-dried lamb that smells exactly like you'd expect a purifying sheep to smell. Luckily, you can get cod and chips everywhere. :laughcont: 

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:46, Red-Robbo said:

Well, I can report it's very nice and the Faroese have that typical Scandinavian openness and candour (and most speak English intelligibly).

The bjor (beer) is bloody great and the aquavit is pretty superb, but apart from one attempt at eating baked razorbill I've avoided the more extreme foodstuffs. They do this wind-dried lamb that smells exactly like you'd expect a purifying sheep to smell. Luckily, you can get cod and chips everywhere. :laughcont: 

Do they have rotten shark, or is that only an Icelandic "delicacy"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B36_Tórshavn

Today B36 Tórshavn is among the most successful football clubs in the Faroe Islands, having won the Faroe Islands Premier League 11 times, the Faroese Cup 6 times and the Faroese Super Cup once. The club also has a women's section, which is in a rebuilding proces at the moment. Today, B36 Tórshavn is one of the biggest football clubs in the Faroe Islands, and is known for playing technical and positive football.

Their stadium is better than the Mem, (but isn't everywhere)?

ff9d33a1eff6d2cd69a1f59a32815f3b--torshavn-faroe-islands-football-stadiums.jpg

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Today B36 Tórshavn is among the most successful football clubs in the Faroe Islands, having won the Faroe Islands Premier League 11 times, the Faroese Cup 6 times and the Faroese Super Cup once. The club also has a women's section, which is in a rebuilding proces at the moment. Today, B36 Tórshavn is one of the biggest football clubs in the Faroe Islands, and is known for playing technical and positive football.

They probably get bigger crowds too.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Must be a bit of a walkover most seasons TBH. Like if we had a club just called London.

On 26/07/2019 at 22:49, Red-Robbo said:

They certainly do fermented fish. And pilot whale blubber.

Didn't fancy any of that at all.... ?

**Warning, this is a very graphic video**

Today, around 20 pilot whales were driven from the open sea onto a beach where one by one they were slaughtered. The meat, whilst sold, is toxic in mercury, the advice from the Faroe Islands medical profession is to not eat it, yet still they do.

Why do they do it t? Because they can, because it's their tradition. Just because it's legal and traditional doesn't make it right.

https://www.facebook.com/OpBloodyFjords/videos/499492453951766/

8 minutes ago, Masala said:

**Warning, this is a very graphic video**

Today, around 20 pilot whales were driven from the open sea onto a beach where one by one they were slaughtered. The meat, whilst sold, is toxic in mercury, the advice from the Faroe Islands medical profession is to not eat it, yet still they do.

Why do they do it t? Because they can, because it's their tradition. Just because it's legal and traditional doesn't make it right.

https://www.facebook.com/OpBloodyFjords/videos/499492453951766/

Agreed. I have to say, the Faroese owner of the B&B I stayed in wanted the cull to stop and told me it's a very divisive issue on the islands. He thought it will die out naturally in time as more young Faroese oppose it than defend it.

Like the Japanese with their whale and dolphin hunts though, it'll only come from a decision of the islanders themselves. Foreign pressure tends to make the traditionalists dig their heels in more.

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed. I have to say, the Faroese owner of the B&B I stayed in wanted the cull to stop and told me it's a very divisive issue on the islands. He thought it will die out naturally in time as more young Faroese oppose it than defend it.

Like the Japanese with their whale and dolphin hunts though, it'll only come from a decision of the islanders themselves. Foreign pressure tends to make the traditionalists dig their heels in more.

Ironically they would earn far more (and be more sustainable) by tourism and whale watching trips than the money they get from pilot whale (or in fact any other poor  unfortunate mammals) meat. Sea Shepherd recently made the Faroe Islands a financial offer if they stopped the grind, payable every year for 10 years. This offer was ignored, proving it's not about money, it's all about bloodlust.

7 minutes ago, Masala said:

Ironically they would earn far more (and be more sustainable) by tourism and whale watching trips than the money they get from pilot whale (or in fact any other poor  unfortunate mammals) meat. Sea Shepherd recently made the Faroe Islands a financial offer if they stopped the grind, payable every year for 10 years. This offer was ignored, proving it's not about money, it's all about bloodlust.

Dunderheaded attachment to "tradition". See also bull-fighting in Spain and "dancing" bears in India. 

You are right about the mercury risks: the Faroes only Michelin starred restaurant, the amusingly named Kok, won't serve whale blubber because of these concerns.

30 minutes ago, Midred said:

After all that, would you recommend going RR?

I've given up the thought of going everywhere on mainland Europe and am thinking more of lesser more interesting or unusual places.

I certainly do. The Faroese are a friendly bunch and the views are breathtaking. If you like windswept. Which I do.

Like the Danes, they are very well-disposed towards us Brits - and all but the very old seem to be able to speak English well. 

They love their English football over there BTW although you can expect to find a baffling number of Hull City fans*.

* It's because Faroese Julian Johnsson played there. 

On 06/12/2020 at 22:44, Red-Robbo said:

I certainly do. The Faroese are a friendly bunch and the views are breathtaking. If you like windswept. Which I do.

Like the Danes, they are very well-disposed towards us Brits - and all but the very old seem to be able to speak English well. 

They love their English football over there BTW although you can expect to find a baffling number of Hull City fans*.

* It's because Faroese Julian Johnsson played there. 

Thanks RR.

It could be that Hull has a similar windswept climate that the Faroese can empathise with!

Archived