IGNORED

Klopp’s lessons in leadership.

Major Isewater

Clearly defines that, as I have always believed, any level of management is about your interaction with the others, rather than telling them what to do and/or bullying them.

It's a lot like current health and safety law which makes everyone responsible for their own safety AND to also be responsible for the safety of everyone else.

Translate that to a football team and while you are not responsible for other's errors, one is responsible for helping them the put it right.

I know it is difficult to get a complete all round view about people from short TV and press interviews, but Klopp seems to me to be the type of person that I would like next to me in any walk of life.

For me, no2 is the one LJ may need to improve upon, especially when we hear about 6-12 months to embed them (a new player) in the way he wants to play.  I very much doubt LJ gives a new player a huge dossier to revise on day 1, but I suspect from watching the odd training ground video that there might be a bit too much overload in the rigidity of his instruction.

2. SIMPLICITY

I have a lot more information than I give to the players. Not because I want to keep it, but because they have to play a football game and you have to play with freedom.

In the beginning, when a new player is coming in, I don’t give them any information. It’s like, ‘let them play’. You learn more about your players each day and how to treat them, how to deal with them.

A lot happens in the one-on-one talk, but that’s with the individual player. With the team, there are more things, and you try to help 11 players learn to do the right things in the right moment.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, no2 is the one LJ may need to improve upon, especially when we hear about 6-12 months to embed them (a new player) in the way he wants to play.  I very much doubt LJ gives a new player a huge dossier to revise on day 1, but I suspect from watching the odd training ground video that there might be a bit too much overload in the rigidity of his instruction.

2. SIMPLICITY

I have a lot more information than I give to the players. Not because I want to keep it, but because they have to play a football game and you have to play with freedom.

In the beginning, when a new player is coming in, I don’t give them any information. It’s like, ‘let them play’. You learn more about your players each day and how to treat them, how to deal with them.

LJ will only sign players who he considers capable playing in the way he wants. He’ll have seen them play and know what possibilities they have - the much maligned ‘DNA’ in other words. 

A full pre season obviously helps any new player to adapt to the ‘identity’ that we hear so much about although not many of us know what that ‘identity’ is.......

The Klopp way of doing things is essentially doing what all good bosses do in any profession. 

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2. SIMPLICITY

A lot happens in the one-on-one talk, but that’s with the individual player. With the team, there are more things, and you try to help 11 players learn to do the right things in the right moment.

I spotted this with LJ in the first couple of months of him being here after hearing his post match interviews and I still think its an issue he has. I could see it as being a reason why we can be so streaky.

When we're on a good run the players will have the confidence to play with freedom and integrate the detailed instructions fluidly. When confidence is low players might start over-thinking the instructions as they lose trust in themselves, resulting in errors, hesitation, lack of creativity/bravery (side to side passing) etc...

Archived