IGNORED

The BBC

joe jordans teeth

Money for nothing   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Is that really your major problem,are you saying we should continue funding eastenders and the constant repeats they put on for a bit of news

Not really. There is a lot of shite on admittedly but a lot of quality too - I watch BBC Four mostly but understand why the masses watch crap like EastEnders and Strictly and they have to be catered for too. Also there`s radio - do you really want there to be only the likes of TalkSport available? I don`t.

31 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not really. There is a lot of shite on admittedly but a lot of quality too - I watch BBC Four mostly but understand why the masses watch crap like EastEnders and Strictly and they have to be catered for too. Also there`s radio - do you really want there to be only the likes of TalkSport available? I don`t.

Eastenders and strictly will be picked up by other tv channels in a heartbeat so nobody will miss out if that’s their cup of tea,as for radio there are plenty more than talksport   

Whilst I think the BBC is far from perfect in every apsect of its realms, there is just criticism of other broadcasters. Swings and roundabouts, really. When you consider what your fee pays for, it's as much about not having to put up with stupid adverts. However, I suspect the recent move to extract money from the elderly will upset more than a few and lead to more calls over transparency.

What many fail to realise that yes the TV licence fee you pay goes towards funding the BBC, you still need a TV licence to watch any other TV channel as it airs to its scheduled programming, even if you have a DVR and wish to 'record' a programme for watching later.

If you can prove that you wont watch the BBC iPlayer or watch/record TV as it airs, only then it is the case where you don't need a TV licence.

You're allowed to watch catch up TV on any of the catch up TV services (barring the iPlayer) without a TV licence, but you cannot watch those channels live as it airs to its scheduled TV programming.

Personally I say (as I dont watch much TV as it is) scrap the TV licence and allow adverts on the BBC. It'll save me £155pa for what maybe 1/2 BBC shows per Month. I watch the rest of the channels on catch up anyway.

Aunty Beeb has become a little too overtly pc in recent times … (I feel the news for instance has become a bit too sanitised reflecting a pc agenda)

That said, it still produces quality drama of the highest calibre, wildlife documentaries which are the envy of the World -ie Blue Planet etc etc...  

I actually think uninterrupted programmes with just one of two adverts in between broadcasts would be perfectly acceptable if the revenue was used to keep the licence fee down at a reasonable level.

Also the BBC provide a huge number of regular and diverse radio programming, I feel some of the cost of this provision could /should be offset by limited advertising too, specially local bbc radio stations and foreign world services .

The BBC (for all its faults) is still a class act, nobody does it better! 

11 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Aunty Beeb has become a little too overtly pc in recent times … (I feel the news for instance has become a bit too sanitised reflecting a pc agenda)

That said, it still produces quality drama of the highest calibre, wildlife documentaries which are the envy of the World -ie Blue Planet etc etc...  

I actually think uninterrupted programmes with just one of two adverts in between broadcasts would be perfectly acceptable if the revenue was used to keep the licence fee down at a reasonable level.

Also the BBC provide a huge number of regular and diverse radio programming, I feel some of the cost of this provision could /should be offset by limited advertising too, specially local bbc radio stations and foreign world services .

The BBC (for all its faults) is still a class act, nobody does it better! 

It`s weird when you are serious.

On 19/06/2019 at 18:17, Slippin cider said:

I find that program completely pointless....crap prize money...much prefer The Chase! ......:yawn:

Thats just where you can see the difference between adverts funding a channel and the BBC needing TV Licence money. The BBC seems to have a prize budget of £1000 per show, (judging by their many quiz formats having this as an initial prize pot) hence why they do roll overs. It is crap, it is pathetic and it means that its also unfair as it means that its luck to whether you split that £1000 5 ways or £20,000 5 ways as it is on Eggheads. (Why should one team that beat the eggheads get a grand where another if there has been a series of losses meant that they get £30 grand or whatnot?) The same goes for couples on Pointless... Why should this couple get £10,000 just cos the previous 9 couples failed to win the prize? Then the next couple wins and they only get a grand?????

At least on the Chase or Tenable its the players who set the prize money, and if they can achieve such prize.

There is one saving grace I suppose for the BBC, and thats Impossible. Prize is £10,000... but like the name... It can seem "Impossible" to win the money, but people have. (Although to be non biased, I'd also say that Tenable can seem just as impossible at times)

Also saying that, there was 15 to 1 on Ch4. Players didnt seem to win anything. Only in 2014 the grand final winner got £40,000.

Edit: Can I mention that the BBC also gets money from "selling" their shows to Netflix/Amazon and to other TV broadcasters around the world. The TV Licence isnt their sole funding. Can I also mention that the reason that channels like UKTV Gold and Dave (and other channels like Really etc if anyone can remember the old channel list of UKTV this and UKTV that) has so many old BBC programmes is because they're in fact jointly owned by the BBC, thus a percentage from adverts on these channels also goes towards the BBC.

Archived