IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

Eff me! ?

Chester, Hause, already, now 3 more CBs.

In all seriousness, are Villa really gonna sign Hause, then sign Mings, Webster and Tuanzebe, and tell them all, they’re not all first choice.  5 doesn’t go into 2.  Okay Chester might leave, but 4 doesn’t go into 2 either.

If they were to sign all of them, one or two of them are gonna be pissed off that they may have signed under false pretentious.  You wouldn’t want to be a £15-20m signing and sat on the bench.

Of course Villa might be using a scattergun approach, and they see who they get over the line first.  In which case, we’ve no idea how genuine these stories are.  

Bottom line is - If Webster wants to go then he will.

He has been great - and that form really does translate to Prem quality.

He is near his prime with 8-9 earning years ahead of him barring a career ending injury.

Why would he stay here because we "might" get promoted - and at this stage Kelly,Kalas JDS and Palmer don't play for us - plus we lost Mo......  ?

When he could go to the Prem's worse team, earn 4x as much and if he keeps up this form will be signed by a better Prem team the following year?

If a Prem team comes in - he's gone. No if's or but's - he's gone.

The guy has one shot at a great career - and after last season, when he was real quality - this is his shot.

And no, I can't see Kalas or JDS coming back either - better  clubs will come in - probably European for Kalas, and Lower Prem for JDS.

There is some serious delusion on here. ?

Yes, we have a nice ground that makes the BUSINESS attractive, and the City itself is one of the better parts of the UK.

BUT....

BCFC have never been in the Prem and we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 2 yrs by blowing the Jan window  -  I suspect the owners aren't as ambitious as the fans tbh.?

There can be no other reason for the unbelievably bad transfer decisions made. ?

That's why the better players went last year, and that's why this lot won't come back next season.

Kelly went, Webster will follow, and don't be surprised to see Fammy, Brownhill and Pack out the door as well. Imagine - no Kelly, Webster, Kalas, JDS, Palmer, Fammy, Josh or Packy.......?

"WE GO AGAIN"

Really, unless the club amaze the crap out of me by signing all 3 Chelsea Players and spend £20,000,000 on a striker+ midfielder - we will be the Peterborough of the Championship.

Buy cheap,sell high, stay where we are.

Enjoy the Easter Eggs, Spice Girls and 'ones for the future' for the tenure of the Lansdowns if the club do not go all out this window.

Because it will 100% clarify their vision - to be a  business, selling houses, doing weddings and conferences to make profit, whilst Bristol Sport is just fun for SL, Junior and the Missus.

Oh, and if the above happens - LJ will be off as well - and I can't say I blame him. He'd easily get a job in another Top Champ side - maybe even fancy a European gig.

It really is shit or bust in the next couple of weeks.

Hope for the best but expect the usual mediocrity....

"

55 minutes ago, SX227 said:

He is near his prime with 8-9 earning years ahead of him barring a career ending injury.

Why would he stay here because we "might" get promoted - and at this stage Kelly,Kalas JDS and Palmer don't play for us - plus we lost Mo......  ?

When he could go to the Prem's worse team, earn 4x as much and if he keeps up this form will be signed by a better Prem team the following year?

The guy has one shot at a great career - and after last season, when he was real quality - this is his shot.

And no, I can't see Kalas or JDS coming back either - better  clubs will come in - probably European for Kalas, and Lower Prem for JDS.

Yes, we have a nice ground that makes the BUSINESS attractive, and the City itself is one of the better parts of the UK.

BUT....

BCFC have never been in the Prem and we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 2 yrs by blowing the Jan window  -  I suspect the owners aren't as ambitious as the fans tbh.?

There can be no other reason for the unbelievably bad transfer decisions made. ?

That's why the better players went last year, and that's why this lot won't come back next season.

Kelly went, Webster will follow, and don't be surprised to see Fammy, Brownhill and Pack out the door as well. Imagine - no Kelly, Webster, Kalas, JDS, Palmer, Fammy, Josh or Packy.......?

"WE GO AGAIN"

Really, unless the club amaze the crap out of me by signing all 3 Chelsea Players and spend £20,000,000 on a striker+ midfielder - we will be the Peterborough of the Championship.

Enjoy the Easter Eggs, Spice Girls and 'ones for the future' for the tenure of the Lansdowns if the club do not go all out this window.

Because it will 100% clarify their vision - to be a  business, selling houses, doing weddings and conferences to make profit, whilst Bristol Sport is just fun for SL, Junior and the Missus.

Oh, and if the above happens - LJ will be off as well - and I can't say I blame him. He'd easily get a job in another Top Champ side - maybe even fancy a European gig.

"

Well that has to be one of the most negative things I’ve ever read ?. You're the part of this fan base that I hate tbh, can’t ever see a positive.  Always looking to hate on the club, literally any excuse to have a go you get a thrill from. Honestly it’s strange ffs we’re in a great position, we’re improving year on year. Have great young manager who loves the club and just signed a new long term deal. We’re a club on the up for sure, it’s bloody 19th June ffs it’s no where near panic stations. transfer business wise just because we haven’t announced players yet (who most of them our on there holidays/int breaks etc), most business gets done after players return from holidays and just before pre-season etc. All in all I’m excited for next season a very open league and with additions on last seasons team we can drive for something. Last point would you rather support the other Bcfc ??‍♂️

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

BUT....

"WE GO AGAIN"

"

Blimey, I’m off to slit my wrists and before doing so get a refund on my ST for 2019/20.

3 hours ago, BcfcJayden said:

Well that has to be one of the most negative things I’ve ever read ?. You're the part of this fan base that I hate tbh, can’t ever see a positive.  Always looking to hate on the club, literally any excuse to have a go you get a thrill from. Honestly it’s strange ffs we’re in a great position, we’re improving year on year. Have great young manager who loves the club and just signed a new long term deal. We’re a club on the up for sure, it’s bloody 19th June ffs it’s no where near panic stations. transfer business wise just because we haven’t announced players yet (who most of them our on there holidays/int breaks etc), most business gets done after players return from holidays and just before pre-season etc. All in all I’m excited for next season a very open league and with additions on last seasons team we can drive for something. Last point would you rather support the other Bcfc ??‍♂️

No-one is panicking young man.

I suggest you re-read it when the Horlicks has worn off.

Are you honestly trying to say  nobody will be in for Webster?

And all the Chelsea players are going to sign at some point?

I'm merely pointing out that:

1) There are no guarantees any loanee wants to sign

2) There is a good chance Webster and maybe others will be off if a Prem club comes in

3) The last 2 Jan windows were very poor.

4) LJ has said he expects to be backed - if he only gets a small budget - do YOU think he will stay?

5) Where (NOT WHEN) will the replacements come from if LJ doesn't get a budget to buy his targets?

Nothing negative Son, just realistic - Bristol Sport is a business, and is now being run accordingly - and turning a profit.

So if the owners want a profit - talent is sold, and low fees paid for replacements. How many seasons can this last, and why would any player seeking to better his career (unless a developing player) want to come to BCFC if he has another offer on the table.

In other words, just so you understand them - why would players such as Webster,Kalas,JDS and Palmer want to stay at a club that MAY go up if they get an offer from the Prem or a top league in Europe.

That's being realistic, not negative.

Show me in my post where I'm 'panicking' Jayden - because the points I've made are quite reasonable

I've followed this club for 40+ years inc wet Tuesdays at bloody Wrexham, Carlise and other dumps around the leagues. So grow the **** up Jayden, read the post and reply appropriately

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The thing with AW that drives the acceptable fee here is the add ons due to Ipswich.

When we signed him, what was it, £3.5m possibly rising to £8m dependant on appearances/promotions etc. Be really unusual if there wasn’t a sell on as well in that structure, probably as much as 25% (I’m hypothesising), but conversely would also be unusual if there was a release clause in view of the likely sell on and doubts over fitness.

So, where does that get me on logic without knowing the contract ins and outs.

- We paid £3.5m. Let’s say we may have paid more due to appearances by now, so maybe £4m?

- Ipswich have a sell on, with a likely ceiling. Let’s say 25%, but the total fee can’t exceed the maximum it could have raised to with add ons

- In this (hypothetical, but realistic) scenario, a £12m fee realises (outside of wages) a £6m profit. Maybe just funds Kalas, but unlikely

- Current market - we need to clear £10m profit to replace properly. We sell for £18m, that just about does that 

So, I reckon £18m maybe. But as there is unlikely to be a release clause, and considering the players importance, I’d hold firm

I’m pretty sure that Ashton will not let any other club sign Webster with a fee that doesn’t suit the club.

We can’t keep players who have the chance to go to a Prem club and we shouldn’t block their careers but as the club have repeatedly said it has to be the right deal for Bristol City .

16 minutes ago, SX227 said:

No-one is panicking young man.

I suggest you re-read it when the Horlicks has worn off.

Are you honestly trying to say  nobody will be in for Webster?

And all the Chelsea players are going to sign at some point?

I'm merely pointing out that:

1) There are no guarantees any loanee wants to sign

2) There is a good chance Webster and maybe others will be off if a Prem club comes in

3) The last 2 Jan windows were very poor.

4) LJ has said he expects to be backed - if he only gets a small budget - do YOU think he will stay?

5) Where (NOT WHEN) will the replacements come from if LJ doesn't get a budget to buy his targets?

Nothing negative Son, just realistic - Bristol Sport is a business, and is now being run accordingly - and turning a profit.

So if the owners want a profit - talent is sold, and low fees paid for replacements. How many seasons can this last, and why would any player seeking to better his career (unless a developing player) want to come to BCFC if he has another offer on the table.

In other words, just so you understand them - why would players such as Webster,Kalas,JDS and Palmer want to stay at a club that MAY go up if they get an offer from the Prem or a top league in Europe.

That's being realistic, not negative.

Show me in my post where I'm 'panicking' Jayden - because the points I've made are quite reasonable

I've followed this club for 40+ years inc wet Tuesdays at bloody Wrexham, Carlise and other dumps around the leagues. So grow the **** up Jayden, read the post and reply appropriately

Some valid points here, however it is nonsense to suggest Bristol City / Bristol Sport makes a profit. The club is spending more on salaries alone than generates in turnover, so given FFP the only way the club can invest in new players is to sell when appropriate and get the right fee. 

If Webster wants go then in the end he will, the financial gulf to the bottom of the prem is so big then money will talk. The positive is that City could demand a massive fee given his contract situation, given the Kelly fee I would suggest at least £15m plus would be a starting point

Basically trying to buy our way up is way too risky, Derby, Sheffield Wed, Birmingham and Villa have all spent £100’s of millions over the last few years and only one has done it, whilst probably breaching FFP and getting away with it. 

The current strategy to me seems the most likely to work, no guarantees it will but is the best chance. Last summer do you think Norwich fans were happy selling Maddison for £25m? But it worked out for them, might work for us, just means we need to always be identifying the next Adam Webster or players like Pukki, Maupauy and bringing players through the academy.

Yes he will probably will want to go to the prem, but I am sure we when we tell players that we won’t stand in their way, it’s with the caveat that it has to be at our price.

If I was in Ashton's position I would be saying to him, "we have just sold Lloyd for £13m based on his potential, you have out performed him, played more games than him in your proper position,and have fulfilled some of you potential already. That's why we are asking for twice as much for you"

10 hours ago, Vil1 said:

So yet again villa going after our players. They always seem to be in for our players. Do your own research and sign your own players you scummy gits. Everyone we're intrested in they seem to jump on too. 

If you can find a Barnsley forum you'll probably find someone saying the same about us.

59 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Some valid points here, however it is nonsense to suggest Bristol City / Bristol Sport makes a profit.

I'm sorry - I should have been clearer.

The Bristol Sports in conjunction with off-field activities are turning a profit. 100 Flats sold, new hotel, offices, concerts, conventions, weddings etc

Player sales are finally showing a profit - but yes, based on Sports Clubs alone - certainly City, Bears and Flyers aren't making money based on Match day income and salaries. It's when you add off-field stuff, the figures are much better.

Thanks for pointing that out.

2 minutes ago, SX227 said:

The Bristol Sports in conjunction with off-field activities are turning a profit. 100 Flats sold, new hotel, offices, concerts, conventions, weddings etc

Player sales are finally showing a profit - but yes, based on Sports Clubs alone - certainly City, Bears and Flyers aren't making money based on Match day income and salaries. It's when you add off-field stuff, the figures are much better.

Last time i checked, none of the companies in the group made a profit 

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes he will probably will want to go to the prem, but I am sure we when we tell players that we won’t stand in their way, it’s with the caveat that it has to be at our price.

If I was in Ashton's position I would be saying to him, "we have just sold Lloyd for £13m based on his potential, you have out performed him, played more games than him in your proper position,and have fulfilled some of you potential already. That's why we are asking for twice as much for you"

If you were Ashton what do you think you would be quoting for Webster ?

£26 million is a lot (as per your post) - I dunno, but if I was Adam Webster and a Prem Club offered £15,000,000 and the club refused to release him, I'd be pretty miffed.

Perhaps the better option might be £15m + 30% rather than have an unhappy player - thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Last time i checked, none of the companies in the group made a profit 

Do they include the money from the Flats, offices and concerts recently held?

And non-City events. The bar profits alone from England v Wales was £24,000.

I'd be pretty confident that the sale of 100 flats, a massive increase in off-field income, higher attendances and concerts would show a different story.

@Mr Popodopolous is usually the go to guy for this!

11 minutes ago, SX227 said:

£26 million is a lot (as per your post) - I dunno, but if I was Adam Webster and a Prem Club offered £15,000,000 and the club refused to release him, I'd be pretty miffed.

Perhaps the better option might be £15m + 30% rather than have an unhappy player - thoughts?

Ashton knows what he’s doing particularly  when it comes to negotiating deals. He’s handsomely paid to get the best possible deal for incoming and outgoing players and that’s exactly what he’ll do.

The bottom line is that all players are worth what the purchasing club are willing to pay. Remember how we all laughed when Villa paid £15m for Kodjia.............:rofl2br:

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

19 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I fully expect Webster, his agent and LJ / MA sat down at the end of the summer and talked sensibly about the upcoming window as well as next season.  They will have likely discussed what fee they’d accept too.  Who knows he might even be talking through a better contract to reward him for his first season, where he played a lot of games for a guy who had injury concerns.

It is likely there will be interest in him, but we won’t let him go on the cheap. He will know that.  

Just because a Prem club comes in doesn’t mean he will go either. It’s quite possible granted. Villa fans (yes fans) are quoting he’d be back up to Mings and Tuanzebe. Do you think Webster would go under those circumstances. 

One thing I’ve learned about City is that they don’t play out recruitment in the public domain. 

Kelly to Bournemouth was not in the media. They were all wrong, saying Liverpool. 

By all means discuss things, this is a forum, but it comes across as you stating being “realistic” as it’s fact. 

City fans have a right to be confused and concerned about the achievements of our club.

On the one hand, we are apparently doing very well. Attendance's are the best for many decades, we're seeing some real quality players in the red and purple shirts, players we have reared are being sold for amounts that are very large and to many older fans, incredibly big. Finishing position in the league has improved in each of the last four season's.

Yet on the other side, we have sat on our hands in the last two January windows, allowing others to grab the annual honeypot.

I want us to achieve, but our history nags away at me, saying that we would like to win things whereas those like Bournemouth, Sheff U, Norwich, Burnley and all those who've done it instead of us, saying WE WILL get there.

In other words, I cannot believe that we will change as a club from the decades of under achievement. That's why I'm so cynical about where we are going.

48 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Do they include the money from the Flats, offices and concerts recently held?

And non-City events. The bar profits alone from England v Wales was £24,000.

I'd be pretty confident that the sale of 100 flats, a massive increase in off-field income, higher attendances and concerts would show a different story.

@Mr Popodopolous is usually the go to guy for this!

We'll have to wait for the accounts to be published next year!

58 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I don't think £20m is unrealistic in this current ridiculous market, but we ask for more as a negotiating position surely? 

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

City fans have a right to be confused and concerned about the achievements of our club.

On the one hand, we are apparently doing very well. Attendance's are the best for many decades, we're seeing some real quality players in the red and purple shirts, players we have reared are being sold for amounts that are very large and to many older fans, incredibly big. Finishing position in the league has improved in each of the last four season's.

Yet on the other side, we have sat on our hands in the last two January windows, allowing others to grab the annual honeypot.

I want us to achieve, but our history nags away at me, saying that we would like to win things whereas those like Bournemouth, Sheff U, Norwich, Burnley and all those who've done it instead of us, saying WE WILL get there.

In other words, I cannot believe that we will change as a club from the decades of under achievement. That's why I'm so cynical about where we are going.

I understand completely where you’re coming from and I’ve shared that same cynicism as you do.......but.......over the last couple of years that cynicism has considerably faded largely due to the huge developments we’ve seen both on and off the pitch.

Very successful businessman SL has come up with a long term strategy for our club and employed people to implement said strategy in LJ and MA and both have done a very decent job all the while working within the ‘stability and sustainability’ restrictions of SLs strategy.

I posted previously that in all the years I’ve been supporting City the current state of the entire club is the best Ive ever known it.

Ive been very tempted to put a few quid on City to get promoted next season but my record  of betting on City over the years is very poor........so I won’t bother just in case I jinx it!

17 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Care to elaborate? 

Maenpaa

Hunt Wright Webster Pring

Eliasson Pack Brownhill COD

Paterson

Diedhiou

O’Leary, Weimann, Baker, Vyner, Semenyo, Adelakun and Walsh

Maybe I missed someone but that would be our strongest matchday squad at present. Look top half to you? Then take out our player of the season

Or you could have a team of 

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Hunt Smith Pack Brownhill O’Dowda

Weimann Diedhiou

O’Leary Vyner Moore Walsh Adelukan  Eliasson Semenyo

That doesn’t look like a relegation favourites XI to me...

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Weimann Diedhiou

I said midtable with Webster. Relegation contenders without him as it stands. 

Obviously we will sign players but my main point is we need to build on the squad not sell our best player. I know we haven’t sold him and it would be silly money if we do but I value players over money and potential targets. 

29 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Weimann Diedhiou

We might struggle to get 18 players on the pitch even Championship refs might notice .

5 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Blimey Dave, bad nights kip mate?  ?

No, ? but I do think too many people are taking the social media rumours as being true, yet none of us know. It wasn’t meant directly at you. Apologies.

Considering our defence was a key strength last year I don't know how anyone could not be worried by the possibility of losing Kalas, Webster, Kelly and DaSilva. 

Replacing those four is a huge challenge that could easily go wrong.

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

If Webster goes to Villa and they have yet another of ours, will they be rebranded as Bristol City's Aston Villa?

Worked out for Liverpool buying Southampton players. Always a pecking order I guess

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Considering our defence was a key strength last year I don't know how anyone could not be worried by the possibility of losing Kalas, Webster, Kelly and DaSilva. 

All I have been trying to say but you did it better. Of course we will recruit well and could even do better but that is a sure thing top 8 defence. 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Posters said pretty much the same when Flint and Bryan left last summer........No doubt at all that LJ will have every possible factor covered.

Have faith...........

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Posters said pretty much the same when Flint and Bryan left last summer........No doubt at all that LJ will have every possible factor covered.

Have faith...........

I think we have faith but it can still be a concern. Also there was a lot of silver lining around Flint and Bryan leaving even if many were gutted to see them go. They were never close to part of a top 10 champ defence. I am sure city have plans for everything and that provides some comfort but think anyone would prefer the proven route

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think we have faith but it can still be a concern. Also there was a lot of silver lining around Flint and Bryan leaving even if many were gutted to see them go. They were never close to part of a top 10 champ defence. I am sure city have plans for everything and that provides some comfort but think anyone would prefer the proven route

Flint finished above us with Boro and Bryan played in the Premier League

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have faith...........

What you’re saying is all very well and good, but if our model is going to be a rebuild every close season, if we get it wrong just once, things could go horribly wrong.

It would be nice to have one season start with a strong group of players from the previous season starting strongly, rather than a new group of players having to ‘gel’.  Of course, that could still happen this seaon, but the longer it goes without us securing our Chelsea targets, the more I feel we’ll be looking at the latter option again.

Here’s hoping !

I think we knew both would go too so we were focussed on replacements and emergence of Kelly.

This summer most probably expected Webster to be here for 19/20 and hoped it would be alongside Kalas. The social media stuff has changed the view and it’s become a bit panicky on here. From maybe not getting Kalas, it’s not having Webster too.

I’m still waiting for some more reputable rumours.  Maybe that’s denial on my part?

But LJ/MA will have plans.  If Webster did go and we raided Swansea for Van de Horn or Brum for Harlee Dean with £s left to burn the window changes context.

One thing - you can’t necessarily buy and sell in your order of priority.  Selling Kelly early has given us a better chance though.

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we sold Webster today  then the back for would be 

hunt. wright. baker pring.

worrying 

I bet you that wouldn’t be out back four at the start of the season even if we sold Webster which unless a 20 million plus bid came in won’t happen

we aren’t going to do a spurs and not sign anyone 

£12m would be appalling value for money- or lack of.

How much is the sell-on for Ipswich too? £20m as a starting point- if clubs don't wish to pay it, he stays- even £20m as a starting point not even the middle, let alone end point probably not enough.

We should be looking at keeping him and building on our core though- given the big sales and January restraint- not selling Webster. Throw Brownhill in for that too.

3 hours ago, SX227 said:

No they aren’t showing a profit, the club hasn’t made a profit since about 1997 

3 hours ago, SX227 said:

Bristol Sport have sold and made a profit on a hotel, some offices and 100 flats? When did that happen? Have I done a Rip van Winkle and missed a decade?

26 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Flint finished above us with Boro and Bryan played in the Premier League

Good individuals but we have improved on them which was the main point. Think most at the time accepted we could improve the back 4. Whereas now it would be hard to improve on last seasons defence

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Good individuals but we have improved on them which was the main point. Think most at the time accepted we could improve the back 4. Whereas now it would be hard to improve on last seasons defence

But when they left last season and we replaced them with dasilva (aleague one player at best at the time)

and webster (a injury prone liability from a poor Ipswich team at the time)

people were posting the same shit we are seeing now,

there is no point in being concerned until the transfer window shuts and 5 or so games have been played

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£12m would be appalling value for money- or lack of.

How much is the sell-on for Ipswich too? £20m as a starting point- if clubs don't wish to pay it, he stays- even £20m as a starting point not even the middle, let alone end point probably not enough.

Which is why I can't see Webster leaving this summer.

We've sold one promising centre back and the club doesn't have to sell another.  Webster is under contract for another 2 or 3 years and it all adds up to a price too rich for any club in terms of his worth to us and his worth to another club.

I agree with 20m and tell 'em to put up or shut up (or in the case of Villa put up or **** off).

Teamtalk have done the club and player no favours in publishing their own 12m valuation - lots of vultures circling at that price unsettling everyone.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

But when they left last season and we replaced them with dasilva (aleague one player at best at the time)

there is no point in being concerned until the transfer window shuts and 5 or so games have been played

Think you’re being slightly disingenuous there. I remember people being gutted and worried that we sold Flint (I was one of them) and JB (I wasn’t one of them) but I also recall a lot of people praising the signings of Webster and Da Silva and don’t recall them being slagged as signings as a whole.  People’s concerns were around AWs injury record as opposed to his actual ability and from memory people were excited about JDS although tempered that with the fact that he was unproven at this level. 

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I agree with that and personally not concerned but would prefer the club to add to what is already here as is proven. I support the decisions made whatever they are but am expressing what I’d do if it were up to me which is I assume how most opinions are formed

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Have faith...........

Did you have faith that we would strengthen our attack in January? I know that's a tough window to work in, but as much as I appreciate LJ, he's not a miracle worker.

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Teamtalk have done the club and player no favours in publishing their own 12m valuation - lots of vultures circling at that price unsettling everyone.

I don’t expect professional football clubs to take much if any notice of team talk. 

44 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we sold Webster today  then the back for would be 

hunt. wright. baker pring.

worrying 

If you are worried about that then I suggest you need to get out more.

Better still, forget about football for a few weeks and come back at the end of July to properly assess our transfer dealings. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t expect professional football clubs to take much if any notice of team talk. 

Agreed, but all the media hype went north when that rubbish was published as an exclusive.

Its academic anyway, 12m aint enough.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If you are worried about that then I suggest you need to get out more.

Better still, forget about football for a few weeks and come back at the end of July to properly assess our transfer dealings. 

Absolutely right, but I think a legitimate worry is whether we manage to pull together a back four that is as effective as the one we had. 

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Absolutely right, but I think a legitimate worry is whether we manage to pull together a back four that is as effective as the one we had. 

It was a decent defence. The key is recruiting Kalas and retaining Webster. We knew that at the season's end and nothing has changed in that regard. DaSilva would be a big bonus. Kelly was inconsistent for me and isn't a huge loss. Money from that sale will clearly be made available to replace him. We could end up with a better player than him i.e. DaSilva, who will cost considerably less than £13m.

It's also worth remembering though that the main area we need to strengthen in is upfront. We need a goal scorer or two before the start of the season. 

We've money in the bank and time on our side, so why anyone is worrying is beyond me. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was a decent defence. The key is recruiting Kalas and retaining Webster. We knew that at the season's end and nothing has changed in that regard. DaSilva would be a big bonus. Kelly was inconsistent for me and isn't a huge loss. Money from that sale will clearly be made available to replace him. We could end up with a better player than him i.e. DaSilva, who will cost considerably less than £13m.

It's also worth remembering though that the main area we need to strengthen in is upfront. We need a goal scorer or two before the start of the season. 

We've money in the bank and time on our side, so why anyone is worrying is beyond me. 

Absolutely spot on ?

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We have to do something in the close season.

?

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep totally agree, but youve explained the reason for worry yourself there... You point out that Webster and Kalas are key. Current status is that Kalas is a Chelsea player and wanted by other clubs, and Villa rumoured to want Webster, which is a very plausable transfer. 

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thursday 8th August 2019 5pm- permanent and loan signings alike. About 7 weeks basically or just a shade over.

That hourglass is starting to tick a little, though of course summer tournaments, holidays, complex deals with multiple suitors and in some cases clubs trying to hold off buying or selling before a certain accounting period begins or ends all are factors.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thursday 8th August 2019 5pm- permanent and loan signings alike. About 7 weeks basically or just a shade over.

That hourglass is starting to tick a little, though of course summer tournaments, holidays, complex deals with multiple suitors and in some cases clubs trying to hold off buying or selling before a certain accounting period begins or ends all are factors.

Yeah, and ideally you want new signings to have a pre-season in which to learn our fabled 'patterns'.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, indeed. So much ambiguity - are we doing blinking rather well, for us? Are we going round in circles, while "the likes of" Bournemouth and Huddersfield just grab their opportunity? - so many ways to interpret how we are doing. 

If you are prone to pessimism, and seeing what's wrong, or missing - a bit of a "bed-wetter" - you can find an interpretation to fit with that mindset. 

If you are generally a cheerful, see the good in most things, what's-the-opportunity-here - a bit of a "happy-clapper" - you can find an interpretation to fit that mindset.

Put the two mindsets together on here in a football vacuum with the transfer market yet to get going, and you have a lively football forum! With both mindsets convinced of their own rationality, their ability to "know the game," "see things as they are," "tell it like it is," their being right about things, whilst also being very certain about the "delusion" of the posters of the opposite mindset.

We really could do with getting promoted to the bloody Prem, soon, so that we can all, finally, be happy, positive, and of one mind; together, united - and enjoy watching and following this club we love and, er, support; bringing the soft balm of positive energy and encouragement, and raucous vocal backing, to this team and every player within it. To put to bed, for once, and for all, any remaining ambiguity about the intentions and ambitions of this club's owner and board, and the efficacy of the players assembled by the chief executive and his recruitment staff, and the coaching experience and ability of the head coach and his trusted mates, sorry, assistants....

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, indeed. So much ambiguity - are we doing blinking rather well, for us? Are we going round in circles, while "the likes of" Bournemouth and Huddersfield just grab their opportunity? - so many ways to interpret how we are doing. 

If you are prone to pessimism, and seeing what's wrong, or missing - a bit of a "bed-wetter" - you can find an interpretation to fit with that mindset. 

If you are generally a cheerful, see the good in most things, what's-the-opportunity-here - a bit of a "happy-clapper" - you can find an interpretation to fit that mindset.

Put the two mindsets together on here in a football vacuum with the transfer market yet to get going, and you have a lively football forum! With both mindsets convinced of their own rationality, their ability to "know the game," "see things as they are," "tell it like it is," their being right about things, whilst also being very certain about the "delusion" of the posters of the opposite mindset.

We really could do with getting promoted to the bloody Prem, soon, so that we can all, finally, be happy, positive, and of one mind; together, united - and enjoy watching and following this club we love and, er, support; bringing the soft balm of positive energy and encouragement, and raucous vocal backing, to this team and every player within it. To put to bed, for once, and for all, any remaining ambiguity about the intentions and ambitions of this club's owner and board, and the efficacy of the players assembled by the chief executive and his recruitment staff, and the coaching experience and ability of the head coach and his trusted mates, sorry, assistants....

Getting to the prem great, then our ambitions will be lower mid-table for the next however many years also know as Crystal Palace 

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Getting to the prem great, then our ambitions will be lower mid-table for the next however many years also know as Crystal Palace 

If we got promoted we’d be happy for about half an hour before we started worrying about coming straight back down.

The way we have handled outgoing transfer business over the course of the last few seasons suggests to me that if we were to sell Webster, we would be doing everything in our power to maximize the fee in every way possible.

I have no worries about Webster leaving for £12m - because it simply will not happen. Mark Ashton and whoever else deals with such negotiations will know that sum is derisory and, in my opinion, will be asking for double that. Even in the scenario where if someone does offer that kind of money for him, we STILL do not have to sell and i don't think we would.

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

Villa have bid for Kongolo from Huddersfield, another CB.

Chester, Hause, Tuanzebe, Mings, Webster, now Kongolo. 

The more names mentioned the more I smell BS re Webster, and I’ve just walked through what I thought was a muddy field!

Basically social media is scatter gunning names with little substance. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Did you have faith that we would strengthen our attack in January? I know that's a tough window to work in, but as much as I appreciate LJ, he's not a miracle worker.

No one is claiming that LJ is a miracle worker Mozo but he certainly knows his stuff. The reason City didn’t strengthen in January was due to  The winter window is not the preferred time to sign players as pretty much every available player is overpriced, particularly strikers.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No one is claiming that LJ is a miracle worker Mozo but he certainly knows his stuff. The reason City didn’t strengthen in January was due to  The winter windowis not the preferred time to sign players as pretty much every available player is overpriced, particularly strikers.

Especially Assombolonga at £3.5m for 20 week loan!!!

Archived