IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not trolling - my point is, why would the opportunity not come again if he's that good? 

Others have already answered that but you’re seemingly not capable of reading or understanding their responses.

if you’re not trolling, you’re an extremely skilled impersonator. 

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Mate, you have got to be kidding. It would take me 60 years to earn £1.8million. The only way it's going to 'change his life' is by making a stinking rich man even richer. And he's 24.

I don't disagree AG. However, everytime the issue of footballers wages is raised there are many that say we have to accept that is the way it is, that they earn these huge ( obscene) wages and we have to accept it. My life works for an orthopaedic surgeon, who is on good money by our standards, but I find it very hard to justify that ordinary premier league footballers earn in a week what he earns in a year. Good lord we have players earning in a month what the surgeon earns in a year.

Given that we can't change any of this, the  the minute we accept that these are the levels of income young players earn, the the harsh reality is that when you look at earning £1.6m over the next years by staying put, but can earn £6m+ over the same period it is hard to resist the temptation.

Footballers ( and their agents!) live in a different financial world, and sadly we just have to accept that the more City wants, and is able , to compete for better players, we will find the finances being mentioned ever more "disgusting". 

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Others have already answered that but you’re seemingly not capable of reading or understanding their responses.

if you’re not trolling, you’re an extremely skilled impersonator. 

What, because he might get injured? There seems to be a conflict of opinions here - one is that Webster will go on to play for England (and Brighton seem to adhere to that one, seeing as they've just broken their transfer record to get him). The other is that he's injury prone and might well only last one more season. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Salaries are always quoted in gross, are they not? 

Correct.

Although some of the more exotic players playing abroad seem to secure deals where their wages are quoted net.

I think Bale's proposed move to Chine was £1m per week net!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Salaries are always quoted in gross, are they not? 

Let's imagine he got injured...

300k (net) probably wouldn't pay off a mortgage. 

Let's assume that he has 3 years left on his contract, a net total of 900k?

Absolutely no way would you be made for life with that income. Not without careful investment and a job. Retire at 60, maybe but far from 'made'.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

What, because he might get injured? There seems to be a conflict of opinions here - one is that Webster will go on to play for England (and Brighton seem to adhere to that one, seeing as they've just broken their transfer record to get him). The other is that he's injury prone and might well only last one more season. 

You don’t need to be injury prone to suffer injury. 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I don't disagree AG. However, everytime the issue of footballers wages is raised there are many that say we have to accept that is the way it is, that they earn these huge ( obscene) wages and we have to accept it. My life works for an orthopaedic surgeon, who is on good money by our standards, but I find it very hard to justify that ordinary premier league footballers earn in a week what he earns in a year. Good lord we have players earning in a month what the surgeon earns in a year.

Given that we can't change any of this, the  the minute we accept that these are the levels of income young players earn, the the harsh reality is that when you look at earning £1.6m over the next years by staying put, but can earn £6m+ over the same period it is hard to resist the temptation.

Footballers ( and their agents!) live in a different financial world, and sadly we just have to accept that the more City wants, and is able , to compete for better players, we will find the finances being mentioned ever more "disgusting". 

With the NHS being centrally funded, all salaries are a cost to that funding. Footballers are (hoped/expected) to make their clubs money. Shirt sales, prize money, European qualification etc..

So you can't really compare the two industries.

By the way, I agree that loss making football clubs are bonkers paying what they do, and that a lot of NHS staff are underpaid.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

I'm not quite sure why you are singling Webster out about the issue of footballers wages. Why not pick those out that earn like 600k a week? 

Unfortunately, you and I are the reason for footballers being paid so much.

Unlike most modern footballers Webster is really down to earth and a nice guy and imo I'll be delighted for him that he will be set up for life financially.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Yeah I know. In a way, I don't blame Webster. It's just that the greed (and it is greed) of modern footballers/agents goes against my beliefs. I recall a story where a couple of senior Man United pros, for a laugh, told a young and impressionable Ryan Giggs to go into Alex Ferguson and ask for a pay rise (or it may have been an expensive car, I forget). As you'd expect, Fergie told him in no uncertain terms to get the **** out of his office, as the two senior players fell about laughing. Being taught some humility certainly did Giggs no harm in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

With the NHS being centrally funded, all salaries are a cost to that funding. Footballers are (hoped/expected) to make their clubs money. Shirt sales, prize money, European qualification etc..

So you can't really compare the two industries.

By the way, I agree that loss making football clubs are bonkers paying what they do, and that a lot of NHS staff are underpaid.

We can morally - for all the good it will do. 

Realistically it is pointless so to do.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah I know. In a way, I don't blame Webster. It's just that the greed (and it is greed) of modern footballers/agents goes against my beliefs. I recall a story where a couple of senior Man United pros, for a laugh, told a young and impressionable Ryan Giggs to go into Alex Ferguson and ask for a pay rise (or it may have been an expensive car, I forget). As you'd expect, Fergie told him in no uncertain terms to get the **** out of his office, as the two senior players fell about laughing. Being taught some humility certainly did Giggs no harm in the long run. 

Not quite sure Ryan Giggs Brother would agree with you there...

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Sign any more from then and we will be signing "Blue is the colour" at AG and renaming The Lansdown "The Shed"! :shocking: 

We had the 7” single of that for some reason. We could just change it to red instead...but don’t want to piss them off just yet! ?

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

Moore would be targeted mercilessly by Leeds and they'd win, it's not the time to throw him in.

Kalas and Baker for me.  At least both are hard as nails and won't take any of the Leeds shite.

Don't forget Leeds are probably in a worst position than us re CH's. They also have a new pairing at the back and have less cover than us. 

Archived