IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

I think it as simple as this;

1) Chelsea sacked their manager and everybody knew FF was coming in

2) Knowing Chelsea were under a transfer embargo, FF said he wanted to run the rule over everyone

3) KP thought he saw a chance to impress and make the Chelsea squad

4) It didn't work out and we said 'Come home"

And he said, sure if Swansea don’t want me enough!

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

2) Knowing Chelsea were under a transfer embargo, FF said he wanted to run the rule over everyone

Exactly, why people think the timing is odd given these circumstances is itself odd.

Given the pics of him training in City gear and his kid in the kit I think he would have joined earlier had it not been for Lampard taking over.

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Who’s FF?

6 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Maybe I missed something but it seemed pretty clear to me that we were in for him then Lampard/Chelsea wanted to take a look at him pre season. He obviously wasn't going to turn that opportunity down and move. 

Perhaps, I'm not ruling out that we took a look and were "in for him" early on in the year - but for whatever reason we clearly gave up at some point.

Perhaps it's just that this signing doesn't excite me much. We had him here last season and whilst he's clearly got quality he didn't fix the problems we had in January - the same problems we still have now. He's not the "proven number 9" that we need nor is he a box to box midfielder who can command and control the centre of the pitch where we so often lose possession.

I just cannot shake the feeling that this is a marriage of convenience that appeases fans by ticking the box of getting a player in, is safe for the club because everyone knows what they are dealing with and gives KP an income for at least 12 months.

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

To me it smells like we wanted to sign KP permanently at the end of the season but gave up on it when it looked as though he might be going to another club (presumably as we couldn't match their personal terms). I guess we moved on to other targets and decided to just keep tabs on how KP's summer progressed. 

We've been frustrated this summer and perhaps one or two of our preferred deals have fallen through. So, as deadline day approaches and KP becomes available...we swoop. Seems as though perhaps both the club and the player have "settled" for a move that might not have been either's number one choice. However, the familiarity means that we have a good foundation to build on.

I could be absolutely 100% wrong on all of this but he timing and style of the signing (assuming it is happening) seem odd as you say. 

LJ has said more than once that he would like 2 strikers or a striker plus somebody who can create chances.

Our play too often peters out around the box and I reckon LJ thinks Palmer can make a difference to that.

Of course if we get the Webster money we might still get that second striker.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

LJ has said more than once that he would like 2 strikers or a striker plus somebody who can create chances.

Our play too often peters out around the box and I reckon LJ thinks Palmer can make a difference to that.

Of course if we get the Webster money we might still get that second striker.

Thats what @Kid in the Riot is indicating

FWIW I don’t think KP was high in our list but something has triggered us to swoop 

Webster money?

KP becoming available and wanting  s perm ?

LJ thinking SS may need some time to adjust ?

???

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Perhaps, I'm not ruling out that we took a look and were "in for him" early on in the year - but for whatever reason we clearly gave up at some point.

Perhaps it's just that this signing doesn't excite me much. We had him here last season and whilst he's clearly got quality he didn't fix the problems we had in January - the same problems we still have now. He's not the "proven number 9" that we need nor is he a box to box midfielder who can command and control the centre of the pitch where we so often lose possession.

I just cannot shake the feeling that this is a marriage of convenience that appeases fans by ticking the box of getting a player in, is safe for the club because everyone knows what they are dealing with and gives KP an income for at least 12 months.

We didn't give up, LJ said they were staying in touch. We had to wait to see how things panned out for him at Chelsea.

He then had to decide between Swansea, where he would have less competition for a place but who wouldn't commit to a permanent deal, and us.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

FWIW I don’t think KP was high in our list but something has triggered us to swoop 

Webster money?

???

It’s a weird one because LJ said he very nearly didn’t get Szmodics in because he felt we had enough in that area.

So to get Palmer in aswell, makes it a little more interesting. I wonder if Pato is off?

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

We didn't give up, LJ said they were staying in touch. We had to wait to see how things panned out for him at Chelsea.

He then had to decide between Swansea, where he would have less competition for a place but who wouldn't commit to a permanent deal, and us.

This.

Why all the speculation about other nonsense

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Believe me, I am more than happy to be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Webster money?

???

I suspect all the things you list apply but especially that the Webster money meant we could afford Palmer as well.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a weird one because LJ said he very nearly didn’t get Szmodics in because he felt we had enough in that area.

So to get Palmer in aswell, makes it a little more interesting. I wonder if Pato is off?

He said Lew

That he did ‘everything he could not to sign Sammie’  , and chuckled realising how that sounded , then explained that he had a bigger budget pencilled in for that signing / role but SS kept hitting everything he wanted when he looked at him and when he spoke to others about him

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Exactly, why people think the timing is odd given these circumstances is itself odd.

Given the pics of him training in City gear and his kid in the kit I think he would have joined earlier had it not been for Lampard taking over.

Absolutely. I think that judging by the pics he posted & messages he sent to Jay Dasilva, he was intending coming here at the start of the transfer window but as you say, Lampard being appointed put that on hold. Due to Johnson wanting a full preseason with him, we then looked elsewhere. It suggests to me that our targets didn’t work out so we’ve gone back for him now. Think it’s a great signing. 

So we picked up kp from an unsuccessful loan at blackburn they had dack amongst others so he didnt really play alot , so we took him on loan , lj loves paterson so picked him regardless of form hiding behind the kp's not fit enough and needs a full pre season with city excuse .... lj signs szmodics to rival pato, semenyo in the free role number "10" , so a few days before the season starts lj is looking to sign a player he hardly played and has no time to get fit (his own words) for prob £3.5 mill , after already signing szmodics ? 

Maybe im losng the plot but i swear we need a STRIKER !!!!!

41 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Absolutely. I think that judging by the pics he posted & messages he sent to Jay Dasilva, he was intending coming here at the start of the transfer window but as you say, Lampard being appointed put that on hold. Due to Johnson wanting a full preseason with him, we then looked elsewhere. It suggests to me that our targets didn’t work out so we’ve gone back for him now. Think it’s a great signing. 

Yes i'm more than happy to have him back and lets see if LJ can work some magic and get this boy performing as he's obviously got it in his locker....but we got to a get a striker !

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

So we picked up kp from an unsuccessful loan at blackburn they had dack amongst others so he didnt really play alot , so we took him on loan , lj loves paterson so picked him regardless of form hiding behind the kp's not fit enough and needs a full pre season with city excuse .... lj signs szmodics to rival pato, semenyo in the free role number "10" , so a few days before the season starts lj is looking to sign a player he hardly played and has no time to get fit (his own words) for prob £3.5 mill , after already signing szmodics ? 

Szmodics 

Tbf, he has been playing pretty regularly at Chelsea so fitness not an issue you'd hope

6 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I'll let LJ and MA know we need a striker. I'm sure they will be grateful for the advice and start looking right away. Should be a doddle.

Szmodics is a signing like Brownhill or Adelakun. Young player available for a small fee that we can grow. He has probably overachieved this preseason but I don’t think he will be heavily relied on. 

Semenyo is a striker or wide forward. He is not a “10”

Paterson has been here years and of course LJ trusts him. That said if Palmer is coming in permanently he is true competition for Paterson. Paterson however can also play on the left and I prefer him there myself. He may need to play there if COD gets a move. 

All in all I don’t see why or how you can complain. Palmer is a serious talent who even in spurts here produced goals and assists. 

Also the club has said numerous times over the last few days we are in for strikers. So keep calm and let the next week happen. Bash the club if no striker then. Otherwise no rush to just get anyone in let us target who we want and get the right one. We have enough to get us through our first match

Archived