IGNORED

Upgrading back room staff

Unan

So I know this was commented on a few months ago, but most people believed that the backroom staff that have moved on did so of their own accord & there was a general feeling of disappointment that they'd left. Judging Rhys Carr's most recent post it seems like we've let them go & so must be 'upgrading' our back room staff, more good news!

Did I read that he has or is setting up his own business? I think the club demands full commitment with no distractions and maybe it’s just naturally the time to part? He certainly doesn’t seem bitter in any way, maybe new doors of opportunity have opened for him to persue that he just couldn’t consider when working for the club?

4 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Talking of background staff leaving I see that David Coles, the ex goalkeeping coach is now at Forest Green.

Yup, job swop almost. Funny how things work out. Glad he is fixed up though.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

So I know this was commented on a few months ago, but most people believed that the backroom staff that have moved on did so of their own accord & there was a general feeling of disappointment that they'd left. Judging Rhys Carr's most recent post it seems like we've let them go & so must be 'upgrading' our back room staff, more good news!

Mark Little replied to that tweet giving Carr so much credit for his time with us ...

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Did I read that he has or is setting up his own business? I think the club demands full commitment with no distractions and maybe it’s just naturally the time to part? He certainly doesn’t seem bitter in any way, maybe new doors of opportunity have opened for him to persue that he just couldn’t consider when working for the club?

Yes, something like Sporting Science or like that.  They ran a conference / convention at Celtic Manor last week.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

If i remember rightly wasn't Walshy our last 'Job for life' on the coaching staff?

I know there was great disappointment on here when he was let go but i think after he left all the coaching staff had been moved onto termed contracts just like the players and manager.

It not only helps the manager bring his own people in but also allows for upgrading etc at the end of their terms.

On a staff member level its obviously a bit crud with little long term security but its just the way the football world works.

Non coaching staff like Scotty are probably on ongoing contracts as they aren't employed in a role that effects success on the pitch in any way.

Not so sure on the “upgrading” part. 

Coles has been replaced with the Forest Green keeping coach, and basically swapped jobs. 

The new Carr was our under 23 head of fitness. So that’s just a promotion. 

Personally I find it weird as Coles & Carr were always highly rated. Think it’s more of a case of fresh ideas for keeping, & Carr setting up his new business. Nothing to be excited about in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One idea to upgrade- dunno if scouting would count as backroom but anyway, a foreign scout with a foreign footballing background wouldn't go amiss and should in time help us to better identify value in the market abroad. Good addition to have IMO.

Essential and long overdue.

One idea to upgrade- dunno if scouting would count as backroom but anyway, a foreign scout with a foreign footballing background wouldn't go amiss and should in time help us to better identify value in the market abroad. Good addition to have IMO.

I’m pretty sure we have these.

Benny Lennartsson for Scandinavian scout. Many times said.

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

I’m pretty sure we have these.

Do we?

I remember Matthieu Louis Jean- played in England and France plus is of course French, he helped with Kodjia- but if you could point to the scout with significant background of foreign football that would be good- haven't looked for a while granted! He left us in June 2016.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do we?

I remember Matthieu Louis Jean- played in England and France, he helped with Kodjia- but if you could point to the scout with significant background of foreign football that would be good- haven't looked for a while granted! He left us in June 2016.

You are right. We can compete with bigger clubs in this area if there is a wish. We now believe we can develop our young players but we have zero belief in our scouting. Most people employed by Bristol Sport are doing nothing. I don't wish them to look in to this area but I guess it's better than nothing. Slightly.  

9 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

You are right. We can compete with bigger clubs in this area if there is a wish. We now believe we can develop our young players but we have zero belief in our scouting. Most peole employed by Bristol Sport is doing nothing. I don't wish them to look in to the area but I guess it's better than nothing. Slightly.  

We can indeed.

I've a more positive take- the club has grown so much the last 4-5 years- in a sense we are still playing catch-up in a lot of areas- @spudski often posts about this, the growth on and off the pitch since promotion has been nuts- we are in a sense still playing catch-up in some ways, and possibly- well I recognise signs that are similar  happening in my dayjob where I work "(or should that be right now "work"), and  feel the growth of the club is outstripping the infrastructure growth if you like. The infrastructure is the best at this club since- well ever, but can still be improved and that should be the aim.

Continuous improvement because if you don't improve and feel you can, you need to improved then you can start going backwards and it can kick in surprisingly quickly! Think the foreign market is well worth tapping- our records in it have been mixed- but a foreign dedicated scout with ideally knowledge of both UK and European football would be desirable. MLJ is now chief Scout at Nice which is not bad!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always the first move on football manager ;)

Archived