IGNORED

My Thoughts: F.g.r.

Ian M

• Admin

I'm going to reproduce my thoughts posted elsewhere below as several people have asked about them and they're currently hidden away on a 70+ reply thread :D

Barralon appeared to be nothing more than a sack of shi....to this observer, cue him being signed up on a 4 year deal, scoring 30 goals and joining Chelski for £40m

I was impressed with Smith though, played the vast majority of the game and was constantly coaching the younger players around him talking them through what they should do which was excellently highlighted for the opening goal where he first encouraged Joe to take the ball on then as Joe was faced with a defender, shouted out "hold it hold it hold it hold it" whilst getting up to overlap, Joe then released the ball to Smith who fed Miller the perfect cross to rise unchallenged and head it in the corner.

I'd like to see him up against better opposition on Friday but the inital signs were very good.

The player who most impressed me was Dave Cotterill though. Is this kid really just 16? He gave nothing away phsyically despite his tender years and everytime he got on the ball he looked dangerous beating opponents with a combination of pace, strength and trickery. Also took his goal very well. Only bad point, he looked more effective on the left hand side of the 3 up front than when he switched to the right hand side later on (though he was still beating men then).....

Still not convinced with Clint Davis but he's not exactly costing us anything and kept a clean sheet so no harm in extending his trial a little further.

Finally, Joe Anyinsah also proved to be a constant menace and I would say that on his friendly showings, he can expect to have jumped ahead of Lita (who was conspicuously absent tonight despite earlier being named in the side) in the pecking order up front.

Oh and SCOTT BROWN, yes SCOTT BROWN, got our 4th goal.....

Smith has quality as we know and its no suprise he had a good game and was supportive to the younger players,but lets not forget who City were up against.

What impresses me is the development of the academy players some of whom I admit I'd not heard of before.Its good to see BT giving them the chance to show what they can do in the public eye.I wonder if Wilson would have taken the same sort of team to FGR?.

It going to be an interesting season and we could well see the emergence of some new home nurtured talent after two seasons of no-one coming through'.

• Admin
Agree with everything you've said Madger. I'd also like to mention that I thought that Callum Hart and Cole Skuse played very well, left back and centre midfield respectively.

Yep they were very promising, neither ready to challenge the Tommy Docs or Craig Woodman's of our squad for their places yet but they're developing quite nicely.

Fortune showed how much closer to the first team he is than Sekani in the first half, exuding confidence in all he did. He was taken off at half time I think and I now believe he'll start on Friday as a result.

I'd honestly like to see Cotterill included amongst the subs on Friday to see how he gets on against a higher class of opposition. It can't really hurt his development.....

• Admin
Smith has quality as we know and its no suprise he had a good game and was supportive to the younger players,but lets not forget who City were up against.

What impresses me is the development of the academy players some of whom I admit I'd not heard of before.Its good to see BT giving them the chance to show what they can do in the public eye.I wonder if Wilson would have taken the same sort of team to FGR?.

It going to be an interesting season and we could well see the emergence of some new home nurtured talent after two seasons of no-one coming through'.

Well, this was the side that Wilson took to FGR last Summer:

City: Stowell, Carey (Amankwaah 60), Bell (Woodman 60), Doherty (Hulbert 55), Butler (D.Jones 60), Hill (Fortune 60), Burnell (Hawkins 60), Coles (Tinnion 60), Roberts (A.Brown 51), Matthews (Lita 60), Peacock (M.Brown 60).

On paper that looks a pretty strong side yet it "only" won by three goals....

It was certainly encouraging but as you say (and I said above) it's worth seeing those who impressed tonight up against sterner opposition in one of the remaining two friendlies....

Although we took weakoned teams to Clevedon and Forest Green, these have been our best results. The second half at Clevedon (which we won 6-0) apart from Murray was academy players and likewise tonight (which we won 3-0) were all academy players.

I'm looking forward to Friday now and like you said it wouldnt hurt to throw players like Cotterill in for twenty minutes at the end of the game.

I'm looking forward to Friday now and like you said it wouldnt hurt to throw players like Cotterill in for twenty minutes at the end of the game.

Definatley agree, these players should get a chance against better opposition.

Joe Anyinsah was very impressive IMO not scared to shoot either if he has a sight at goal

wont be suprised if he features for us this season as a sub on a number of occasions

The trialist smith looked good also, always talking to all the players.

The french bloke was rubbish, he lost the ball way to easy and couldnt take it past anyone.

Wilson would have still been on holiday!!

No its not! read the story on the main website titled city make it 5 from 5 it's a lad from Everton who was on trail at the same time as Gillespie

yes I know.. but we had Scott Brown as a keeper here last season and he was released with all the other players who didnt get new contracts...

The Scott Brown at Cheltenham was the one released.

This is another Scott Brown who now played a couple of trial games last year..My point was he is not a player who was released by us as we never signed him on.. But the Keeper Called Scott Brown who as signed on with us was released a month ago!! :P

Does this make any sense??!?! :D

Archived