IGNORED

Nine goals

miser

Poch has put a bloody good squad of players together. He has done a superb job imo. Problem is once something goes wrong in the dressing room, it needs sorting straight away. Fergie was the master of it and never lost the dressing room because of it.

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Tonight is the nail in the coffin for xG @Davefevs

The one I sometimes look at says 1.69 v 1.19 to spurs! I think you look at a different one. Would be interested to know what it says 

It will be scrutinised undoubtedly.  But xG is based over 1000s of games, this was just one game.  With all stats it can be used alongside what you see with your eyes.

Even for an xG of 0.1, one team in 10 is gonna be the one that concedes the chance that the other 9 don’t.

And then of course you get Pilkington’s goal for Wigan that Camp let through his hands last night!

Part of the problem is people either over-using it, or using it without understanding.

486ACB9D-0BA6-4E27-908A-1266504595D4.thumb.jpeg.1f6c8461d6e7f3fb1af305b59a241cdf.jpeg

What I liked about our own xG on Saturday was that we created chances pretty regularly.  If you were to add in Weimann and Diedhiou’s disallowed goals it would look even better.  If you take out the two PNE pens, and ad back in Johnson’s low value shot, and a cross that was hand-balled, PNE’s overall inferiority in the game can be understood....but you can’t do it just by looking at an xG chart.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It will be scrutinised undoubtedly.  But xG is based over 1000s of games, this was just one game.  With all stats it can be used alongside what you see with your eyes.

Even for an xG of 0.1, one team in 10 is gonna be the one that concedes the chance that the other 9 don’t.

And then of course you get Pilkington’s goal for Wigan that Camp let through his hands last night!

Part of the problem is people either over-using it, or using it without understanding.

486ACB9D-0BA6-4E27-908A-1266504595D4.thumb.jpeg.1f6c8461d6e7f3fb1af305b59a241cdf.jpeg

What I liked about our own xG on Saturday was that we created chances pretty regularly.  If you were to add in Weimann and Diedhiou’s disallowed goals it would look even better.  If you take out the two PNE pens, and ad back in Johnson’s low value shot, and a cross that was hand-balled, PNE’s overall inferiority in the game can be understood....but you can’t do it just by looking at an xG chart.

Dave, do you know if disallowed goals count into XG calculations? Not sure I've ever thought about it. Suppose it might depend on why the goal is disallowed. Foul in the build up prior to shot and it shouldn't be counted. Offside shouldn't be counted, so Weimann's should not feature. However, a foul as the shot is being taken - a la Fam's at the weekend - maybe should? It looks from this chart as though Fam's late disallowed goal isn't considered. Or is it the one large pip just after their third goal? 

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Dave, do you know if disallowed goals count into XG calculations? Not sure I've ever thought about it. It looks from this chart as though Fam's late disallowed goal isn't considered. Or is it the one large pip just after their third goal? 

Correct, only “legal” shots, so both not included.  Semenyo’s initial shot counted.

Archived