IGNORED

Tempo

steveybadger

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Charlton did well to shut us down first half, our change of formation second half created gaps in their formation for players to move, run and pass into 

I said after sat I couldn't figure out what Johnson was doing (and I usually can and support him) taking Fam off just after eliasson came on.

Tonight I did boo the change, I thought he had completely lost it, I apologise (sorry) I see what he did and we did look better. 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I said after sat I couldn't figure out what Johnson was doing (and I usually can and support him) taking Fam off just after eliasson came on.

Tonight I did boo the change, I thought he had completely lost it, I apologise (sorry) I see what he did and we did look better. 

LJ explanation post match made perfect sense but at the time of the Eliasson/Famara substitution I and those around me couldn’t see the logic in replacing Eliasson who had looked our most potent threat and to my shame I joined in the booing........:dunno:

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ explanation post match made perfect sense but at the time of the Eliasson/Famara substitution I and those around me couldn’t see the logic in replacing Eliasson who had looked our most potent threat and to my shame I joined in the booing........:dunno:

You know the saying "you turn into the things you hate". ?

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I didn’t boo, but I was disappointed, as I thought we were just getting going when the subs were made.  Worth listening to his post-match interview as it explains why.  It worked, but it was a gamble that had high risk.  Perhaps we’d have won 1-0 with no drama had he not made the changes?

Shape in the first half didn't help. First half a bit of a non event, Charlton did well to counteract our 4-4-2 by condensing the centre.

We caused them more issues 2nd half, shape was better- gave a better base,a platform to create a tempo, to build pressure- yet when we went 1 down I was a tad pessimistic as in these games, vs sides like Charlton on the break, the first goal can often be decisive. Their keeper made quite a few saves 2nd half though, couple of handball shouts.

Didn't boo but was surprised and a bit disappointed that Eliasson came off, he's often a threat. Thought LJ was taking a bit of a chance taking off Massengo for Palmer, I know that we were a goal down and chasing the game but just Brownhill as an orthodox CM made me wonder- but then I've always been a bit cautious- Palmer getting that late assist, paid off in style! Going to listen to LJ's post match press conference now. 

We kept a good 2nd half tempo though, playing our football- the Palmer for Massengo and the taking of Eliasson were brave- and we got just reward for our courage. Goal down, at home to a counterattacking side- got back to 1-1! Big marks. Diedhiou off, once we had a couple of quick chances after that I'd have settled for the draw but that was a great way to win it.

10 hours ago, steveybadger said:

It’s not rocket science - we look a good side when we play at pace at home. How can we do it more consistently?

By adopting the behaviours that create higher tempo as a collective behaviour. It is not something that can be turned on and off. It should be trained in and attuned to players that have the skills set to fit. It also has to be both attacking and defensive. Play faster, a secondary is that teams also have to respond quicker to their lost possession. This is not necessarily about athleticism, game speed is highly technical and tactical.

Archived