IGNORED

The Tinkering Has To Stop

Xiled

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks for the comments which are appreciated.

The results are not as bad as the performances at home. We've now had poor home performances for approaching two years. By performance, I include entertainment, the ability to control games and the results.

We've now had two full seasons and the first three months of this one, where our home form and results have stopped us making a sustained push for automatic promotion or a third or fourth spot in a play off place.

If LJ is such a good coach, and bearing in mind the financial backing he's had from SL, why has he not worked out how to control home games in the way that he has in away matches?

Poor home performances have been happening for longer than two years - from 2015/2016 to the present day we’ve played 99 home league games and have won just 40 of those ...

4 minutes ago, BITW said:

Ok he’s created the most chances in championship this season despite only starting 3 games. But.......

Yeah I know. I said in another post I really rate him. But.....him not starting today was not the reason we played poorly. Now piss off and quote somebody else’s post in isolation??

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

How could LJ have made the midfield any less lightweight?

The lack of options due to injuries and loaning out Walsh and morrell meant that was all we could put in there today (apart from starting massengo, which would have been a major mistake). Therefore, going with a back five was basically all we could do

Liking him doesn’t make any difference. 

Calling him ‘the dwarf’ is just sad and says a lot about you more than anything

Get out his ass

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

How could LJ have made the midfield any less lightweight?

The lack of options due to injuries and loaning out Walsh and morrell meant that was all we could put in there today (apart from starting massengo, which would have been a major mistake). Therefore, going with a back five was basically all we could do

Liking him doesn’t make any difference. 

Calling him ‘the dwarf’ is just sad and says a lot about you more than anything

Get out his ass

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Pathetic.

Ok Tommy :laugh:.

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Every post you've made in this thread demonstrates that you know precisely nothing about football. 

People like you bemuse me, I'm presuming at some point you'll bang on about the 30 years you've been going to the gate entitling you to your verbal diarrhea... Sorry opinion, but how you e watched this game for any period of time and managed to learn absolutely nothing about it is incredible. Infact, every one of my under 15s team would be able to dissect the performance today in a way that would embarrass you (as if your postings on this thread didn't already)

Thank god the club makes a bit of money off you, because your "support" is worth **** all apart from that. 

Red mist 

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

I’ll tell you what has to stop. This constant whinging and sense of entitlement.

3 games in a week. Players injured. Players suspended. Clearly had to change tactics after that first half performance against Charlton.

Why is this so hard to grasp?

Three games in a week? Charlton had the same, they travelled to Ashton Gate to play us last Wednesday and then had one day less to recover than we did, and they got a 2-2 away at The Baggies yesterday ... multiple games in relatively short time periods are not an excuse ...

The Reaction and fall out from today is comical. Johnson rightly apologised to the fans for a much below par performance and we move on. Everybody knows we were crap today but the over analysis by pundits on here is comical. No excuses, blah blah it’s like your admonishing a ******* child for not saying Thank You........a football team played badly and drew 2-2 ffs!!

Deep down since Afobe injury I have had the feeling we would have to go back to 4141 with Fam up top.

If Rodri isn't much better than today, if Semenyo can't do more - I think he has the talent to be a great partner for Weimann, but has to obviously do more. And we know Fam and Weimann has never looked good as a pair, especially with Palmer in behind. 

Szmodics too lightweight at the moment and Watkins maybe not good enough either.

With Fam up top on his own, we can actually do it better this time than we did last season, and even then we got results. 

No Pato and no Pack. But instead having something like Brownhill, O'Dowda and Massengo centrally, 3 very energetic players who can support attacks.

Eliasson then plays and yes I know that means Weimann goes back to the wing. But I really do see LJ going back to this up to January.

It would mean Palmer would have to work on playing a slightly deeper role of a 3 if he is to get games. Obviously Nagy back soon too.

This is probably the most sensible option to go with because there is no perfect partner for Weimann. I don't believe Weimann is effective when playing on his own with someone in behind.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Deep down since Afobe injury I have had the feeling we would have to go back to 4141 with Fam up top.

If Rodri isn't much better than today, if Semenyo can't do more - I think he has the talent to be a great partner for Weimann, but has to obviously do more. And we know Fam and Weimann has never looked good as a pair, especially with Palmer in behind. 

Szmodics too lightweight at the moment and Watkins maybe not good enough either.

With Fam up top on his own, we can actually do it better this time than we did last season, and even then we got results. 

No Pato and no Pack. But instead having something like Brownhill, O'Dowda and Massengo centrally, 3 very energetic players who can support attacks.

Eliasson then plays and yes I know that means Weimann goes back to the wing. But I really do see LJ going back to this up to January.

It would mean Palmer would have to work on playing a slightly deeper role of a 3 if he is to get games. Obviously Nagy back soon too.

This is probably the most sensible option to go with because there is no perfect partner for Weimann. I don't believe Weimann is effective when playing on his own with someone in behind.

Give Rodri a few games and I think he’ll be ok.

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The Reaction and fall out from today is comical. Johnson rightly apologised to the fans for a much below par performance and we move on. Everybody knows we were crap today but the over analysis by pundits on here is comical. No excuses, blah blah it’s like your admonishing a ******* child for not saying Thank You........a football team played badly and drew 2-2 ffs!!

He should apologise for the shit we have watched for a while forget where we are the footballs been apalling.

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

In English?

I think you get what i mean.

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

He should apologise for the shit we have watched for a while forget where we are the footballs been apolling.

Genuine question, as you seem to hate LJ so much what did you think of every other manager (bar his dad) we’ve had in the last 30 odd years who have all taken us to lower positions in the football league?

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

He should apologise for the shit we have watched for a while forget where we are the footballs been apolling.

I think you get what i mean.

Nope, still don’t get what donkeys have to do with it

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Three games in a week? Charlton had the same, they travelled to Ashton Gate to play us last Wednesday and then had one day less to recover than we did, and they got a 2-2 away at The Baggies yesterday ... multiple games in relatively short time periods are not an excuse ...

Charlton also made several changes to (or “tinkered” with) their starting line up....or am I missing something? ?‍♂️

I was responding to a post about changes being made to the team, and I gave an opinion as to why LJ made the changes.

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Genuine question, as you seem to hate LJ so much what did you think of every other manager (bar his dad) we’ve had in the last 30 odd years who have all taken us to lower positions in the football league?

I think if cotterell would have been backed by lansdown money wise the players he wanted etc he had us playing great football untill he threw his toys out the pram and was the best football since Terry cooper or nefore Alan Diks but dont expect you remember those days

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I think if cotterell would have been backed by lansdown money wise the players he wanted etc he had us playing great football untill he threw his toys out the pram and was the best football sunce Terry cooper or nefore Alan Diks but dont expect you remember thise dayd

Never understood this idea of Cotts not being backed. He purposefully went for big targets that were well outside our wage structure. 

He was backed as much as LJ has been, it was his own fault he didn’t go for the right targets

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Never understood this idea of Cotts not being backed. He purposefully went for big targets that were well outside our wage structure. 

He was backed as much as LJ has been, it was his own fault he didn’t go for the right targets

What you on about he had Andre gray and Maguire tied up untill the puppet lansdown had renagotiated the wages keep up.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We played well 2nd half vs Charlton- a side who have drawn at WBA, Fulham 2-2, we did it with 10- complaints anyone?

We were building and building good pressure and were really quite unlucky to concede when we did.

@cidered abroad Oddly that was somewhat in reverse vs Reading, variable vs Charlton- your narrative doesn't necessarily fit the facts. Does it happen? Yes- but it's a more complex picture IMO.

We did it with 10 is a pardonable exaggeration if you meant we got the winner when down to 10 men, otherwise not.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought first half with 532 was mixed but an even overall as the score line suggested.  We played some ok stuff in patches, just not enough...although the referee cost us 2 or 3 breakaways.

Second, change at h-t....change of formation....we lost our shape, and Wigan by far the better team overall.  Did we need to change it?  Especially knowing Rodri would last til the hour at most?  Save by Bentley at 2-1 one-on-one crucial.

For me, if we are gonna go back 4, then Baker should’ve come off.  Lucky to not get 2 yellows too.  We miss Moore’s footballing ability, and defensively he’d pretty steady these days.

Weimann the pick of our players today.

Agree Taylor moore always the scapegoat 

43 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Poor home performances have been happening for longer than two years - from 2015/2016 to the present day we’ve played 99 home league games and have won just 40 of those ...

And what happened in 2014/15...

Big fish, small pond to a medium fish in a somewhat larger 

Poor is pretty subjective.

Arguably last and this season though.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

We did it with 10 is a pardonable exaggeration if you meant we got the winner when down to 10 men, otherwise not.

Not only those with a negative view who can exaggerate a bit. ;)

Let me rephrase it then. We went down 1-0 then at 1-1 to 10. We still won, despite Charlton having a strong threat on the break and a decent away record.

That's a notable success.

27 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

What you on about he had Andre gray and Maguire tied up untill the puppet lansdown had renagotiated the wages keep up.

I question the wage structure, FFP compliance at that time. Certainly had it been Gayle... Maguire and Gray less so.

Another interpretation might be that had Cotts bit his tongue for a year, focused on stability for 12-24 months then he would have inherited the benefits of the significant rises of revenue that LJ did.

It's all very well- and may well be pretty true to say that LJ had better backing. In pure cash terms, yes- probably.

However, SC's impatience may well have been his undoing.

Revenue from 2014/15 but also 2015/16...then check it for 2016/17. Especially Cotts season where LJ came in vs LJ first season.

Archived