IGNORED

We need more than just a forward in Jan

Top Robin

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think the defence lacks an assured quality also, especially at right back.

Also we've got some quality midfielders but for some reason we are not 'bossing' games.

Dont think one forward will chamge our fortunes...its deeper than that.

Quite right so. Closing in on the final third we are a lost sperm without idea, pace and determination

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

As he said, creative midfielder required... 

Eliasson assist speaks for themselves 

palmer  showed us in glimpses what he can do last season and start this year

paterson he shown what he can can’t judge him until we see what he comes back from Derby like 

Don’t know how creative you want us to be but I don’t think we lack in that department and happy with them 3 choices 

I don’t know what we need because LJ keeps chopping and changing. I imagine it makes it hard for him to identify what he needs. 

The defense is fine. I’d take them as individuals over most in the league. 

Midfield again I think is fine. I get the argument for a bigger enforcer type but I am on the fence with that. Depends on who it was because mobility is key. 

Creativity I also think we are decent. It is just finding a way to get them on the pitch and still be solid. Also, not sacrificing their talents just to stay solid. 

Up front I think we really need a pacy striker. This could bring things together. 

Still think more could be done with this squad and that will help hone in on what we need. The striker is obvious but other positions I am not sure we know as there is always a flaw elsewhere you can point to. Like Hunt giving the ball away because Brownhill is tucked inside or Eliasson isn’t showing as examples. 

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I think the defence lacks an assured quality also, especially at right back.

Also we've got some quality midfielders but for some reason we are not 'bossing' games.

Dont think one forward will chamge our fortunes...its deeper than that.

Really? So we have 3 right backs on high wages? How many more centre backs? 
Question of priorities and affordability. We may need a midfielder, but how many do we want on our books, especially as Walsh and Morrell doing well on loan. 
We either give up on development, or stop bringing in so many ordinary players who block the development strategy.

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

Eliasson assist speaks for themselves 

palmer  showed us in glimpses what he can do last season and start this year

paterson he shown what he can can’t judge him until we see what he comes back from Derby like 

Don’t know how creative you want us to be but I don’t think we lack in that department and happy with them 3 choices 

Nah i actually really rate Eliasson. Not really the other two tho

42 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Nah i actually really rate Eliasson. Not really the other two tho

I rate Palmer Your not at Chelsea from a young age if you ain’t got talent he still young and he not the finished article yet 

Paterson I’ve still undecided he hasn’t been same player since the illness he had 

2 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

In absentia.....there is always a void between the defence and the forward players......mainly because we have defensively minded midfielders.....creative, forward thinking play maker required.

Wouldn’t say either of the 3 I mentioned are defensive minded one bit

Just now, Highguy said:

Wouldn’t say either of the 3 I mentioned are defensive minded one bit

Ok, I concede that they, for the most part, attack.....which means their positional play is somewhat wanting as they are always deep defending (hence defensively minded comment)...meaning when it is cleared there is no midfield to collect it....just FD on his own.....

It's the lack of a positioned midfield that allows opposition teams to overwhelm us as they attack - we then sit deep and crisis defend (despite having some extremely adept and experienced defenders at this level). 

20 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Play out....get to midfield....play it backward (or lump it forward to an isolated FD).....but mainly backward.....sound familiar?

?

How many times a game have you seen Eliasson or Palmer pass backwords?

Their first instinct is to go forward and create chances

your moaning about our tactics? that’s falls to the guy who picks the line ups and tactics

5 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Ok, I concede that they, for the most part, attack.....which means their positional play is somewhat wanting as they are always deep defending (hence defensively minded comment)...meaning when it is cleared there is no midfield to collect it....just FD on his own.....

It's the lack of a positioned midfield that allows opposition teams to overwhelm us as they attack - we then sit deep and crisis defend (despite having some extremely adept and experienced defenders at this level). 

So your saying because they have to defend a bit more then we would like or they come looking deep for the ball because they’re not getting it higher up the pitch its their players fault and not the manager?

would you be moaning if they didn’t defend and just strolled around like ozil does for arsenal atleast you seen them back defending and trying make something happen by coming deeper for the ball instead of hiding and not showing for it 

49 minutes ago, Highguy said:

So your saying because they have to defend a bit more then we would like or they come looking deep for the ball because they’re not getting it higher up the pitch its their players fault and not the manager?

would you be moaning if they didn’t defend and just strolled around like ozil does for arsenal atleast you seen them back defending and trying make something happen by coming deeper for the ball instead of hiding and not showing for it 

When you look at a back 5 (3 CBs and 2 WBs), as an opposition head-coach, what is the easiest way to stop them playing out?  Nuhiu and Rhodes split the 3 CBs, Reach on Rowe and Harris on Hunt.  That to me is very basic.  So where does the overload happen?  Our 3 in the middle of the park versus their 2!!!  Did we do that successfully?  Did we ‘eff’.  For LJ to turn around post game and say we were probably the best team to pass it out at Hillsborough this season is just not true!  He’s kidding himself imho.

There shouldn’t really be any need for Smith to come back into backline to receive the ball.  It’s what Pack did, and it served little purpose.  FWIW Smith was decent enough.

O’Dowda not showing enough.  Rowe to O’Dowda - 2 passes!  That should be a higher number, they should be a better partnership.  Whether Rowe’s form has dipped and it’s impacting Callum I don’t know, or is it Callum’s inclusion impacting Rowe?  I don’t know.

On the other side, Brownhill showing, but too far forward - becoming the target for Kalas and Hunt to chip balls forward.  He was past the ball too often - a failing of Josh.  He is so much better when he’s coming onto the ball.  As a result he takes Weimann’s space, and when he loses the ball, he’s out of position and Bannan gets it and plays.  Not defending Weimann, who was below par (fairly non-existent), but that one mitigating factor.  It means Kalas and Hunt have no easy inside pass.  Kalas plays 0 passes like to Brownhill, Hunt just 1 to him (just 1 pass between them after 20 minutes of play).  That is ill-discipline from Josh, and LJ could rightly feel miffed, but he’s done nothing to change it....it’s got worse as the game’s gone on.

These were my thoughts at the time, backed up by looking at various stats and video.

The change of formation made eff-all difference.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you look at a back 5 (3 CBs and 2 WBs), as an opposition head-coach, what is the easiest way to stop them playing out?  Nuhiu and Rhodes split the 3 CBs, Reach on Rowe and Harris on Hunt.  That to me is very basic.  So where does the overload happen?  Our 3 in the middle of the park versus their 2!!!  Did we do that successfully?  Did we ‘eff’.  For LJ to turn around post game and say we were probably the best team to pass it out at Hillsborough this season is just not true!  He’s kidding himself imho.

There shouldn’t really be any need for Smith to come back into backline to receive the ball.  It’s what Pack did, and it served little purpose.  FWIW Smith was decent enough.

O’Dowda not showing enough.  Rowe to O’Dowda - 2 passes!  That should be a higher number, they should be a better partnership.  Whether Rowe’s form has dipped and it’s impacting Callum I don’t know, or is it Callum’s inclusion impacting Rowe?  I don’t know.

On the other side, Brownhill showing, but too far forward - becoming the target for Kalas and Hunt to chip balls forward.  He was past the ball too often - a failing of Josh.  He is so much better when he’s coming onto the ball.  As a result he takes Weimann’s space, and when he loses the ball, he’s out of position and Bannan gets it and plays.  Not defending Weimann, who was below par (fairly non-existent), but that one mitigating factor.  It means Kalas and Hunt have no easy inside pass.  Kalas plays 0 passes like to Brownhill, Hunt just 1 to him (just 1 pass between them after 20 minutes of play).  That is ill-discipline from Josh, and LJ could rightly feel miffed, but he’s done nothing to change it....it’s got worse as the game’s gone on.

These were my thoughts at the time, backed up by looking at various stats and video.

The change of formation made eff-all difference.

Im on the Johnson out side of the fence reading your post proves to me that he isn’t the right guy for the job

i think he got the selection wrong(easy to say now obvs) but I don’t like the idea of not going out to win and a 0-0 is the result we play for 

I just think we need 2 strikers. Very strong at centre back. Really rate Pereira at right back. Hunt is usually good, certainly ok as back up. Disilva top quality and can't wait for him to be back. Rowe lacks pace and think he has his limitations. Think he is keeping that place till Pring is ready.

The last few games, as with most during our bad runs , are littered with poorly played , easy , short passes. I've mentioned several times, Josh over hitting a 5 yard pass to Korey, we end up under pressure time after time. What to do, or why it happens, I have no idea. Too eager to get rid of the ball? Not brave enough in possession? Whatever it is, we should be better at holding the ball, specially now with players that are mobile and technically good with HNM, Nagy, Smith and Brownhill in MF, there should always be an option stepping out from the back.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

While I am a fan of O'Dowda, and I remember pre injury how good he looked for a short time, that said he has been the most frustrating of players recently. If he gets the ball in a wide area, I'd would say 99% of the time he turns back, plus he rarely gives Rowe a forward option. They don't overlap each other at all, there is no interplay between the two. 
Hunt was shocking at Wed's, but he makes those runs past the winger/wide man every time to give an option or pull the defender away. He'll do this however well or poorly he's playing, I can't remember the last time I saw that with COD and Rowe. This is a big miss from when JD plays.

It is weird that with the choice of CB's available , 2 decent RB's and really only missing quality at LB (I still think Rowe has done brilliantly in the circumstances ) yet we have a poor-ish defensive record. At the other end of the pitch we have limited options, are screaming out for 2 new forwards and yet we are amongst the top scorers. We are only really missing a big , athletic Toure type player to have a near perfect mic of MF'ers and yet we get walked through and leave gaps for players to run through. ...... Who'd be a manager or coach :cool2:

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Think he is keeping that place till Pring is ready.

I still wonder if he could be the Academy player on the bench after January window closes.

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The last few games, as with most during our bad runs , are littered with poorly played , easy , short passes. I've mentioned several times, Josh over hitting a 5 yard pass to Korey, we end up under pressure time after time. What to do, or why it happens, I have no idea. Too eager to get rid of the ball? Not brave enough in possession? Whatever it is, we should be better at holding the ball, specially now with players that are mobile and technically good with HNM, Nagy, Smith and Brownhill in MF, there should always be an option stepping out from the back.

While I am a fan of O'Dowda, and I remember pre injury how good he looked for a short time, that said he has been the most frustrating of players recently. If he gets the ball in a wide area, I'd would say 99% of the time he turns back, plus he rarely gives Rowe a forward option. They don't overlap each other at all, there is no interplay between the two. 
Hunt was shocking at Wed's, but he makes those runs past the winger/wide man every time to give an option or pull the defender away. He'll do this however well or poorly he's playing, I can't remember the last time I saw that with COD and Rowe. This is a big miss from when JD plays.

It is weird that with the choice of CB's available , 2 decent RB's and really only missing quality at LB (I still think Rowe has done brilliantly in the circumstances ) yet we have a poor-ish defensive record. At the other end of the pitch we have limited options, are screaming out for 2 new forwards and yet we are amongst the top scorers. We are only really missing a big , athletic Toure type player to have a near perfect mic of MF'ers and yet we get walked through and leave gaps for players to run through. ...... Who'd be a manager or coach :cool2:

I still wonder if he could be the Academy player on the bench after January window closes.

He'd offer a lot more going forward at wing back than Rowe with his pace and willingness to run with the ball. Just not sure on his defensive attributes. Needs games so I'd prefer him to stay at Walsall for now.

Archived