IGNORED

Best ever boxing day at the gate.

Oh Louie louie

Bristol city 4 plymouth 3.

What a game, what a atmosphere.

Credit to plymouth they filled the away end and a block that day with no trains.

Im sure tommy tynan scored all 3 goals that day for them.

They had a goalie called geoff crudington and he looked about 70 years old and lived up to the 4 first letters of his surname.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Credit to plymouth they filled the away end and a block that day with no trains.

They had a goalie called geoff crudington and he looked about 70 years old and lived up to the 4 first letters of his surname.

It was a brill game! Keith Waugh’s debut too - and the East End started singing “Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw, Johnny Shaw” when Tynan started banging em in ....

We have played Plymouth on Boxing Day eight times in our history. That seems like a lot.

The most recent was a forgettable 0-0 at home in 2002.

Funnily enough, in 1955 we lost 5-0 at their place on Boxing Day, and then on the 27th of December played them at home and won 6-0!

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Funnily enough, in 1955 we lost 5-0 at their place on Boxing Day, and then on the 27th of December played them at home and won 6-0!

The fixtures always used to be arranged like that and scores such as those occurred throughout the land. The same at Easter.

Back on thread, Boxing Day 1954, my Dad put my Mum in the Maternity Ward, then got himself down the gate to watch City beat Reading. The following day City went to Reading and won 2-0 and I was born. It was the same Ref for both games as well.

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Blimey bs4 now you mention that about being keiths debut, that rings a bell.

Bet he wondered what the hell he joined eh!

Did read he was a cop in sheffield.

Bobby hutch mr bibs dont make them like that no more!

Spoke to Mr Waugh a couple of years back - we talked his debut and yes he was well miffed about the ‘Johnny Shaw’ chant! 

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What was the game that abandoned due to rain about 10yrs ago?

5 hours ago, archie andrews said:

No that was Easter 86 down there.... About 33 years ago...... 

It was definitely Watford at home on Boxing Day - about 2012 or 2013 I think .... crazy downpour that day! I had two mates who’d flown over from Germany just to see that game - so an afternoon in The Spanish Bar it was then! 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

it was. Weren't Watford flying high back then and we weren't going too well? I remember the huge efforts our groundstaff made though to get the game back on. 

Absolutely lashed it down before the game (possibly day/night before as well?), and remember a few around me saying that we were surprised it hadn't been called off before now.

Am I right in thinking the kickoff was delayed in the hope that the rain would ease and the grounds staff could do something with the pitch?

Just remember being glad it was postponed as I was absolutely soaked through, and that was standing half way up the Atyeo!

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The game I learned my first rude song.....Tommy Tynan, he is the meanest, he sucks a horses *****, Tommy Tynan is a horses arse.

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Cov in the old first division 5-0, Royle hat-trick (?)

My second ever City game.  Did Whitehead get a brace too?

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Absolutely lashed it down before the game (possibly day/night before as well?), and remember a few around me saying that we were surprised it hadn't been called off before now.

Am I right in thinking the kickoff was delayed in the hope that the rain would ease and the grounds staff could do something with the pitch?

Just remember being glad it was postponed as I was absolutely soaked through, and that was standing half way up the Atyeo!

Beat them 2-0 in the rearranged game IIRC and the rain was just as bad. They were accused of disrespecting us as they changed half their team from their previous game and it was being said that they thought they only had to turn up to win. I think one they dropped was Vydra who was banging them in every week at the time.

I think it was our first clean sheet of the season too.

Archived