IGNORED

Laptops

Dollymarie

So, my laptop is now 10 years old, it weighs a ton and is a bit crap now. 

I’d like to get me a new one, something with a decent battery, don’t need it for anything particularly complicated, but one I can do my fostering related admin stuff on, back up my Phone/iPad stuff to iTunes and maybe let the step kids do the odd bit of gaming on it maybe. 

I don’t want a little mini laptop, want a proper sized one, and I don’t think I can stretch to a Mac. Maybe in the region of about £500ish. 

What sort of spec should I be looking for etc? 

44 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

This is not a football related item. The police are dealing with it. Based on that, I am going to lock the thread now.

It shouldn’t be too hard for you to do a search on social media to find out what was actually behind the video yesterday, and then you might understand why the topic got locked. Not sure there was a need for the sarcastic reply. Besides I posted in the NON FOOTY forum, so your attempt at humour was a bit pointless. 

Something like:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/10642736017701199538

or

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-aspire-5-laptop-a515-43-silver

might do you.

They won't run the latest call of duty that well but older games or online ones will be fine.

They will be good for general internet browsing, office, media stuff for another 5-10 years.

Edit: You could also look at chromebooks.  If you're prepared to put all your data - photos /docs etc - in google drive they're probably better value, save money on the windows license.

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

@Nibor chromebook wont let me use iTunes though from what I’ve read? 

Nope if you're stuck with itunes you will need windows machine or a mac sadly.

I'd highly recommend not buying music in itunes as you can never get it out.

Better off ripping cds or using paid subscriptions IMO.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Nope if you're stuck with itunes you will need windows machine or a mac sadly.

I'd highly recommend not buying music in itunes as you can never get it out.

Better off ripping cds or using paid subscriptions IMO.

I have a bit of everything. Some of which I no longer have a physical copy of, hence the need to keep iTunes. Those two you linked to will let me run Microsoft word and stuff I take it? 

Just now, Dollymarie said:

I have a bit of everything. Some of which I no longer have a physical copy of, hence the need to keep iTunes. Those two you linked to will let me run Microsoft word and stuff I take it? 

Yeah, they will probably come with Windows 10 Home and a trial of office, if you already have an office license you should be able to login and transfer it. 

5 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

So, my laptop is now 10 years old, it weighs a ton and is a bit crap now. 

I’d like to get me a new one, something with a decent battery, don’t need it for anything particularly complicated, but one I can do my fostering related admin stuff on, back up my Phone/iPad stuff to iTunes and maybe let the step kids do the odd bit of gaming on it maybe. 

I don’t want a little mini laptop, want a proper sized one, and I don’t think I can stretch to a Mac. Maybe in the region of about £500ish. 

What sort of spec should I be looking for etc? 

Send me the £500 and let me see what I can track down my beloved xx

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Yeah, they will probably come with Windows 10 Home and a trial of office, if you already have an office license you should be able to login and transfer it. 

I don’t think I do, so will have to have a think about that. 

Also need to work out how to get files/iTunes library from old laptop to new one. 

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I don’t think I do, so will have to have a think about that. 

Also need to work out how to get files/iTunes library from old laptop to new one. 

Whenever I`ve needed to do techy stuff like that I`ve taken both to a back street computer shop and asked them to do it - usually costs about £20 cash and saves me cocking it up!

Money well spent IMO!

20 hours ago, Nibor said:

Something like:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/10642736017701199538

or

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-aspire-5-laptop-a515-43-silver

might do you.

They won't run the latest call of duty that well but older games or online ones will be fine.

They will be good for general internet browsing, office, media stuff for another 5-10 years.

Edit: You could also look at chromebooks.  If you're prepared to put all your data - photos /docs etc - in google drive they're probably better value, save money on the windows license.

Probably a good thing

16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Whenever I`ve needed to do techy stuff like that I`ve taken both to a back street computer shop and asked them to do it - usually costs about £20 cash and saves me cocking it up!

Money well spent IMO!

Just don't take it to that shop in Henbury. 

Have ended up with a Dell via curry’s, paid just under £400 for it. Set it all up and that’s fine. 

I’ve just realised it doesn’t have a CD drive though. If I want to put the music Father Christmas bought me into my iTunes library, I just need something like this yeah?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JGWBLVH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_f6pdEbDS7J6J7

16 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Have ended up with a Dell via curry’s, paid just under £400 for it. Set it all up and that’s fine. 

I’ve just realised it doesn’t have a CD drive though. If I want to put the music Father Christmas bought me into my iTunes library, I just need something like this yeah?

yes I've got something similar for my netbook, which also does not have a CD drive.

On a similar note,  my trusty old desktop PC finally called it a day a few months ago (a Packard Bell from 2002, more of a 'Triggers Broom' though, the only original part left was the case! I must have upgraded the innards about three times over the years) - bought a second-hand office clearance Dell Optiplex on eBay for 35 quid, and for an additional outlay of about £80 upgraded the graphics card and processor to a decent spec for what I need.

17 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

You need this Dolls

th.jpeg-4.jpg

Archived