IGNORED

Way too many players.

barneyrubble

With the talent available in numbers on City's books (collectively possibly bigger and better than ever before) its a shame we dont have a competitive reserves league as we did in years ago the Football Combination League which ran in parallel to first team squads with regular weekly matches home and away... 

If we were in that now I'm convinced we'd be in much better shape and manager, fans alike would have much clearer views on our 'best eleven' … match fitness from regular competitive games would be an advantage too, better that the training field, gym and games they get today... The Football Combination matches were played in the same stadiums as the seniors usual on alternate Saturdays as the first team and were included in season tickets to watch. Good times. 

(I've said similar on here before, and the reasons why reserve playing formats have changed has been explained, doesn't alter the fact that the old system gave lower league players and supporters the opportunity to play against 'elite' competition from the top division.. shit I hate the Prem!) 

1 minute ago, WhistleHappy said:

With the talent available in numbers on City's books (collectively possibly bigger and better than ever before) its a shame we dont have a competitive reserves league as we did in years ago the Football Combination League which ran in parallel to first team squads with regular weekly matches home and away... 

If we were in that now I'm convinced we'd be in much better shape and manager, fans alike would have much clearer views on our 'best eleven' … match fitness from regular competitive games would be an advantage too, better that the training field, gym and games they get today... The Football Combination matches were played in the same stadiums as the seniors usual on alternate Saturdays as the first team and were included in season tickets to watch. Good times. 

(I've said similar on here before, and the reasons why reserve playing formats have changed has been explained, doesn't alter the fact that the old system gave lower league players and supporters the opportunity to play against 'elite' competition from the top division.. shit I hate the Prem!) 

I actually agree.  The u23 world is no comparison.

However, all our opponents would benefit too!

The thing is the level of U23 football is set by clubs like us.  It's true that as it stands it doesn't compare anywhere near to first team games, but why not set out to up that standard ourselves?  Would our young players really develop any less? The best ones would be able to be near the first team and train with them on a regular basis.

If we had an U23 team that were well organised, consistent and full of young talent, it would benefit the club as a whole massively.  If they were good enough (as would be the hope), they could go out and win almost every game.

I think we've got the resources and structure to make it happen.  Sending out 20 young players on loan every year is a weird model for any club imo.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

There are first year pro’s such as Vince Harper at Weston Super Mare not included in anyone’s calculations . If you literally counted every single “pro” would we be that far off 60 players?

Yeah that’s why I thought I’d cut off at National League. It’s mostly full time and not regional so seems the sensible starting to to think about a player mss as king it as a pro. But yes must be 60 put on loan. All aiming for a pathway that currently sees only Semenyo in the squad... on the bench because someone from the academy has to be.... it’s a strange model to me. 

Archived