IGNORED

How much does a Manager cost?

southvillekiddy

Whose more important one manager or all the players in our squad.

How much does a manager cost?  You would think that a wealthy business man would be able to see that it's a much sounder business idea to spend substantially on one new manager than yet another talented player or players who will get all the talent knocked out of them.

Eg How much is Chris Wilder on? He's done wonders without hardly signing any extra players to his Championship team.

He's a Sheffield United fan and grew up as one, so that surely helps big time but I certainly see what you're saying.

Talented manager big ticket, can raise the level of the team. Bielsa is clearly an upgrade on anyone Leeds have had since...anyone? Bilic likewise better and with greater experience than Moore. Probably don't come cheap!

Wouldn't have thought Frank isn't on a big wage at Brentford but stand to be corrected!

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's a Sheffield United fan and grew up as one, so that surely helps big time but I certainly see what you're saying.

Talented manager big ticket, can raise the level of the team. Bielsa is clearly an upgrade on anyone Leeds have had since...anyone? Bilic likewise better and with greater experience than Moore. Probably don't come cheap!

Wouldn't have thought Frank isn't on a big wage at Brentford but stand to be corrected!

I'd rather not have an ex-player mate. We all know what happens when we do that at our Club. Our beloved Fuehrer loves that comfy arrangement.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sheffield Utd signed 10 players last summer.

How much did he spend mate. Genuine question. Do you think it makes more sense to spend loads on a manager or on players?

6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

How much did he spend mate. Genuine question.

Now that I don't know for certain. I checked transfermarkt and they show the below. Granted he signed only a couple of players from the Prem, and that was Jagielka on a free plus Mousset. Quite true that they've done well without spunking Fulham/Villa type money on "superstars".

Edit, plus Besic - but that's a loan.

image.thumb.png.df5e45e292e0df328e79ed43b4d5c5d6.png

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'd rather not have an ex-player mate. We all know what happens when we do that at our Club. Our beloved Fuehrer loves that comfy arrangement.

How much did he spend mate. Genuine question.

My point I suppose is that the fact he's a lifelong fan- actual fan, supported them in the ground I mean, as opposed to a fan from playing days (not that LJ doesn't care of course), is that it may not cost so much or that they may have been able to get him or hold onto him against more attractive jobs...it'll soon be tested if he keeps doing that well though! Which is why Wilder isn't the best example IMO. 

Except when it comes to an actual fan, from the city of the club, doing great things with the club they supported and grew up supporting that is!

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Now that I don't know for certain. I checked transfermarkt and they show the below. Granted he signed only one player from the Prem, and that was Jagielka on a free. Quite true that they've done well without spunking Fulham/Villa type money on "superstars".

image.thumb.png.df5e45e292e0df328e79ed43b4d5c5d6.png

Thanks mate. I make that £42 mill. We've spent loads more than that under SL just getting to the Championship

Isn't a fairer comparison for Wilder what he spent in the Championship?

Notable that he still starts many and plays with many who where there last season...sure there are some from League One too!

Comparing what he spent with PL money vs what LJ spent doesn't seem the best. PLUS let's not forget that for 2 years at least, he's had owners basically squabbling over the club albeit making sure he's backed when necessary...one thing they did agree on was that keeping him was pivotal- what a manager tbh!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My point I suppose is that the fact he's a lifelong fan- actual fan, supported them in the ground I mean, as opposed to a fan from playing days (not that LJ doesn't care of course), is that it may not cost so much or that they may have been able to get him or hold onto him against more attractive jobs...it'll soon be tested if he keeps doing that well though! Which is why Wilder isn't the best example IMO. 

Except when it comes to an actual fan, from the city of the club, doing great things with the club they supported and grew up supporting that is!

Fair play to you mate. One difference is that Sheffield is a football city in a way that Bristol never has been. We are always going to have to pay more but to my idea that should start with a top notch coach such as Bielsa or Bilic.

13 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thanks mate. I make that £42 mill. We've spent loads more than that under SL just getting to the Championship

The guy's obviously a good manager. 

I was gobsmacked to be reminded that they signed Morrison in the summer. He's played 14 minutes.

Realised I rudely never answered your original question.

I used to think that the role of the manager was hugely overrated, that any group of professional footballers should have the talent, the ability, and the motivation to play well regardless of who was in the dug out. Real life then taught me that who your manager/boss is can make an enormous difference to how you perform at work, to how you feel about your employing company, and how you might react to success or failure. 

With that in mind I would say that at the lower levels of football money, say the low millions, it is likely that at certain times there is more value in spending 5million overhauling a struggling management/coaching team than in buying a player. When I say this I assume that the player in question is your bog-standard 26 year old, 7/10, perfect for the level of football you play bloke. Naturally if you could sign Ronaldo for 5million then it's madness to pay off a coach or three instead.

So, I guess my answer is that when the time is right, the money is better spent on a manager.

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The guy's obviously a good manager. 

I was gobsmacked to be reminded that they signed Morrison in the summer. He's played 14 minutes.

Excellent manager IMO. Brilliant? Well he's done brilliant work but perhaps still early to say.

According to TransferMarkt- doesn't include loan fees I'll grant you or obviously high loan wages but his Net Spend from inheriting a team mooching about in League One to promotion to the PL in a mere 3 seasons, with a brave, fairly unique brand of football- the overlapping CB's- was about a £3.8m profit in the market!!

Worth a read, though it doesn't necessarily mention his SU finances.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think a so called "middling" Premier league manager is earning around £50k per week now, and we must be paying some players maybe £20k ?

Dunno, but a coach of the right profile is very good for a club with ambition, provided he's backed so worth 2 players ?.

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sure I’ve read somewhere that Bielsa is on £3m a year at Leeds or £58k a week - after tax. I’d guess Bilic is on more than a £1m a year at West Brom. 

Closer to home, SL is said to be paying Pat Lam £800k a year to manage Bristol - more than England boss Eddie Jones! 

The bottom line is the manager/head coach is the most important position at any club, if the club has any ambition.

15 minutes ago, tin said:

Sure I’ve read somewhere that Bielsa is on £3m a year at Leeds - after tax. I’d guess Bilic is on more than a £1m a year at West Brom. 

Closer to home, SL is said to be paying Pat Lam £800k a year to manage Bristol - more than England boss Eddie Jones! 

The bottom line is the manager/head coach is the most important position at any club, if the club has any ambition.

Halleluiah. You should be running our football Club. You got a spare billion?

18 minutes ago, tin said:

Sure I’ve read somewhere that Bielsa is on £3m a year at Leeds or £58k a week - after tax. I’d guess Bilic is on more than a £1m a year at West Brom. 

Be interesting to know what LJ is on . Might be an important indicator of SL's attitude and intentions 

Archived