IGNORED

2 striker formations - behind the times?

AshtonRobin21

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I've often wondered why we dont let Weimann play the Bobby Reid role, he seems perfect for it.

He hasn't the touch and end product of Bobby imo. He likes it in space, but not in tight situations. Good player and works his socks off, but I'd be amazed if he began doing what Bobby did for us. Can anyone actually imagine him being capable of doing that?

As for playing one striker, we played with Diedhiou up top on his own last season and i think we won 11 and drew 4 over a 15 game unbeaten run.

Because we had a great defence? Yes but it also helped massively that we had 5 hard working players defending in front of them with Fam being strong enough to cope up top on his own.

Fam for me is a lone striker. That is his best role.

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I will take your word for it but you’d think with Palmer’s upbringing through Chelsea and England he’d have some form of understanding with a press. For me not enough desire in the side to win the ball back whether it be a lack of understanding, ability or tactics. We simply don’t defend with any energy. 

I would have also have thought he would have learned  to stay on his feet, understand foot patterns when closing players down, how to curve angles to screen .. He has also been through other teams and been in and out of their XI's. The reasons are evident at BCFC. 

I would say that is hyperbole (understandable due to today). The teams has more energy out of possession with players possessing more defensive tactical intensity in it. Expect less energy with those specific players in the XI … 

I don't think two strikers is a disaster- look at Sheffield United and their 3-5-2, OR if we want a more reactive yet strongly counterattacking- see Rowett at times in the past, or Sheffield Wednesday and before him Birmingham under Monk and Millwall two years ago under Harris- all played 4-4-2.

However, how we set up with it is a problem. Two strikers with our aspirations at this level vs good sides sooner or later leads to one thing...being outnumbered in midfield. When you're outnumbered vs good technical sides in these areas, you've got issues! Strongly counterattacking 4-4-2 though, that's different but looking to attack with one, problematic.

@Sixtyseconds Totally agree. Baffled as to his lack of faith at even giving this system a real go.

@JoeAman08 Agree we need to press more but some systems/formations/shapes are more conducive to this than others. I'd say 4-3-3 is an ideal one as it gives a natural balance- that bit more cover in central areas, bit more control of space than say a traditional 4-4-2, given how the game has evolved? Others- more variable.

26 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I would have also have thought he would have learned  to stay on his feet, understand foot patterns when closing players down, how to curve angles to screen .. He has also been through other teams and been in and out of their XI's. The reasons are evident at BCFC. 

I would say that is hyperbole (understandable due to today). The teams has more energy out of possession with players possessing more defensive tactical intensity in it. Expect less energy with those specific players in the XI … 

Even with more defensively tactical players I don’t feel like there is enough intensity in it. Some examples that I can think of(two different formations) were Brighton at AG a few years ago. 442 under Houghton and they were so intent in their half press(sometimes started just over halfway line). A more recent one was Millwall at home. Think that was a 541 or something like that. It also was pretty much started in their half and the intensity from those players is what I’d like to see. They soaked up pressure but didn’t make it easy for us to play. That is how I feel we should be defending. 

28 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Man City played with zero strikers last night and absolutely out classed United. Imagine the scenes here if LJ played that formation. 

It is starting to feel like a previous life now but Bristol City played Manchester Utd. It could be viewed that Bristol City were playing without recognised strikers. Reid (?) and Patterson. The two played as false nines and dropped into midfield to overload the opposition.

We can remember the scenes.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

It is starting to feel like a previous life now but Bristol City played Manchester Utd. It could be viewed that Bristol City were playing without recognised strikers. Reid (?) and Patterson. The two played as false nines and dropped into midfield to overload the opposition.

Yeah, neither of them were typical strikers for sure.

Was loosely described as a 4-4-1-1 or even a 4-4-2 but seen varied descriptions of it on here...4-4-2-0, 4-6-0 and 4-2-4-0. Possibly in phases 4-3-3-0 as well?

Agree though, it's what we did...not just vs Man Utd but during that run in which we were so great- as well as pressing we overloaded and outnumbered in key areas very well.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Can't imagine a top team going to Old Trafford and playing without recognised strikers and doing the same though!

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Can't imagine a top team going to Old Trafford and playing without recognised strikers and doing the same though!

What piqued my response was the comparison and how apt it was to BCFC. Mr Johnson did it here with his busy bees. The response was and still is for some was it is the best football they have seen from Mr Johnson, Bristol City .. It was exciting, it was so many of the things fans desire now from their teams football. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, neither of them were typical strikers for sure.

Was loosely described as a 4-4-1-1 or even a 4-4-2 but seen varied descriptions of it on here...4-4-2-0, 4-6-0 and 4-2-4-0. Possibly in phases 4-3-3-0 as well?

Agree though, it's what we did...not just vs Man Utd but duyring that run in which we were so great- as well as pressing we overloaded and outnumbered in key areas very well.

Which is a point about formations I have made about 4-4-2 etc. They are just numbers without describing the intent behind them. That was a clear strident approach in and out of possession. That 4-4-2 from a positive and bold minded Lee Johnson was not out dated. It was very modern.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

What piqued my response was the comparison and how apt it was to. Mr Johnson did it here with his busy bees. The response was and still is for some it was the best football they have seen from Mr Johnson, Bristol City .. It was exciting, it was so many of the things fans desire now from their teams football. 

Which is a point about formations I have made about 4-4-2 etc. They are just numbers almost with highlighting that intent behind them. That was a clear strident approach in and out of possession.

That 4-4-2 from a positive and bold minded Lee Johnson was not out dated. 

I'd argue it wasn't a 4-4-2 anyway, at least not a traditional one (two wingers, two strikers). Saw it as one of the other variants personally, 4-4-1-1 or something else. 4-4-2-0 maybe an interesting description.

4 CBs as well in effect and Brownhill on the right...all 3 of these could and did tuck in as and when, helping us to outnumber and gain ciontrol in other phases.

It was certainly positive and bold minded...earlier in the season with Reid and Diedhiou that was possibly more like a 4-4-2. With orthodox full backs, but not necessarily orthodox wingers.

Archived