IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Looks like they need to win their 3 remaining games. London City Women play the bottom 2 teams in their final 2 games.....although, one of them Blackburn may need to get a result.

Could be, as you say two easy looking games for their last two, although they probably thought that of our game today!

Southampton will test London City at least.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why so much additional time?

More than 11 minutes according to the BBC.

Brooke Aspin clashed heads with Molly Graham (SUFC) when she headed over the crossbar late on. Probably 4-5 minutes there + the subs + the timewasting from SUFC particularly the keeper. 7 minutes was announced but then there was another double injury right at the end of ET.

• Thanks 1

Dissapointing is the word today. Have to commend Sheffield Utd for their solid and workwomanlike performance. Clearly they came to pack the midfield and stifle our normal expansive play. I also wondered about the team selection that left Hayles and Syme on the bench - which is due to slight knocks, I assume. Good to see Aimee Palmer start but she was frequently closed down and was reduced to picking the ball up in deeper positions as the game went on. Probing became difficult and we suffered from a lack of efforts on goal.

Sweetman-Kirk was a constant worry and she was at the sharp end of United's thrusts when they came forwards. It was a neat ball down the flank and across the six yard box that was the difference. Defending was a little shaky at times and Layzell was turned too often.

Bruce's red card was a poor response after the half time break and it reduced the variety we could create. Even with a big reshuffle we found pressing forward heavy going. Changing the distribution was more in desperation than logical thinking in the late stages, but we did look a lot more like we would produce something, even with ten. United began to sit back and close ranks, but were secure in the main. Hayles' bundle over the line was already flagged offside and their keeper was not really tested in the final summing up. Some close efforts but they were off target.

So, we were cheered when London City stumbled at Durham, now they're happier we too have dropped against lower opposition. Still those three points ahead but now we have to win - dropping any more points could be disastrous. Steel hearts and cold blood needed from now on.

Could it be that the last Women's game at the HPC is going to be a disappointing defeat? I note Season ticket renewals are yet to be announced - is the club awaiting on the final table before offering them?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I note Season ticket renewals are yet to be announced - is the club awaiting on the final table before offering them?

I believe so, yes. Same reason why no news has been announced yet regarding new contracts/extensions

21 hours ago, phantom said:

What position does Anita Asante have at the club? 

Just noticed that she was one of presenters for the BBC2 coverage of Arsenal vs Manchester City 

She's a first team coach but is on a part-time contract. She does coaching in the week then media duties on some Sundays. I have seen her at a few matchdays, to be fair

19 hours ago, old_eastender said:

down to 10 women now, Bruce red carded for professional foul.

Didn't see the foul at the time as it was at the other end of the pitch from where I was standing. Seeing as it was a straight red, I'm not sure if the club would appeal (I haven't seen any footage back yet). Don't know if she'd serve just a one match ban or even more - especially as there's only three games left this season

Yesterday was a tense one! Looks like the international break has come at a good time on this occasion.

And with Sheffield United winning & Coventry United drawing, it seems that Coventry United have now been relegated...

On 03/04/2023 at 11:47, shahanshahan said:

Didn't see the foul at the time as it was at the other end of the pitch from where I was standing. Seeing as it was a straight red, I'm not sure if the club would appeal (I haven't seen any footage back yet). Don't know if she'd serve just a one match ban or even more - especially as there's only three games left this season

Yesterday was a tense one! Looks like the international break has come at a good time on this occasion.

And with Sheffield United winning & Coventry United drawing, it seems that Coventry United have now been relegated...

Presumably the red was for DOGSO which is a one game suspension. Three games are for serious foul play & violent conduct which wasn't so in this case.

I think the footage will help if they decide to appeal as the camera would have been at a better angle to see if the attacker was going towards goal or away from it. Not sure there were any covering defenders so only mitigation would be attacker's angle of approach. 

On 03/04/2023 at 11:47, shahanshahan said:

And rumours from a reasonable source on Twitter that the non-football staff at Coventry United have been made redundant....

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Presumably the red was for DOGSO which is a one game suspension. Three games are for serious foul play & violent conduct which wasn't so in this case.

I think the footage will help if they decide to appeal as the camera would have been at a better angle to see if the attacker was going towards goal or away from it. Not sure there were any covering defenders so only mitigation would be attacker's angle of approach. 

I was not aware that "Denying a goal or an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity" had that abbreviation. Thank you!

• Like 1

Fair few decent results in the international break lately.

Tianna Teisar scored twice as Wales beat Kazakhstan 5-2 on Tuesday.
Then today, Elysia Boddy scored a 93rd equaliser for England against Slovenia. She played the full 90 as did Naomi Layzell
Both games in under-19 Euro qualification.

Tomorrow night sees Wales v Northern Ireland (KO 7:15pm) in a friendly in Cardiff.
Rachel Furness could potentially face off against (some of) her teammates Liv Clark, Ella Powell and/or Ffion Morgan!

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

And rumours from a reasonable source on Twitter that the non-football staff at Coventry United have been made redundant....

Sad to hear after they literally were the Phoenix rising from the flames a year ago 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Presumably they are going to keep the playing staff to complete their last three games, and then....? Is there a thought that the club's backers will take a drop down the system and keep going? A pity if so, but another stark warning that the women's game is often on tenuous footings.

I note they are a limited company, incorporated 25th January, 2018, based on the old Coventry Spartans club of old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Naomi Layzell starts for the U19s this morning against Belarus 

England were 5-2 winners against Belarus.

Also on Thursday night (which I didn't comment at the time as I was at Wembley), Wales beat Northern Ireland 4-1.
For Wales, Liv Clark started in goal but Ffion Morgan & Ella Powell came on as subs.
Rachel Furness came on as a sub for NI.

It was the 50th Wales game for former City player Gemma Evans, and former Bristol City/Academy players Jess Fishlock & Angharad James scored

• Like 1

Interesting development for the former London City Lionesses head coach Melissa Phillips. Having left to go back to the USA to become assistant at Angel City in the NWSL, she's back in England as the new head coach at Brighton - who are currently bottom of the WSL (but have two games in hand). Will be interesting to see if she can keep them up - or get them promoted back if they do get relegated...