IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I don’t think there is as much interest in women’s football (yet) as the relative media attention it receives would suggest. 

The Bristol City attendance is very good though considering the competition.

I would say its equivalent to non league pace and skill, national league south. Although I'm biast I think Weston would beat Man City women

• Haha 1

• Admin
18 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

City women currently 4th highest on 6,849.

Arsenal the outlier on 31,132.

Surprised at how low some of the bigger clubs attendances are;

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/womens-super-league/attendances

Interesting how our home attendances fluctuate depending on the "name" of opposition and their connection with "Lionesses" 

18 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I don’t think there is as much interest in women’s football (yet) as the relative media attention it receives would suggest. 

The Bristol City attendance is very good though considering the competition.

Absolutely spot on PF. 

Compared to mens football the limited coverage women’s football gets reflects the fans interest. I only ever watch women’s football when the Lionesses are live on tv and I couldn’t name one Bristol City woman player.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that BCFC women gets decent attendances tho.

19 hours ago, MattWSM said:

I would say its equivalent to non league pace and skill, national league south. Although I'm biast I think Weston would beat Man City women

A national league team would easily. A Western league would likewise. Good standard male U18 again .. Its not a fair equivalence.

Females cannot possess the pace and power of males, no amount of training will bridge that gap. 

Female football should be judged by the game that it is. Female football. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 7

Haven't been on OTIB since Sunday so only getting round to posting now. Disappointed that the supporters coach didn't go ahead but I said to myself I wanted to do all the WSL away games this season; and a few others wanted to go to Everton too. Walton Hall Park has a real RHPC feel to it; just a shame the weather wasn't so great! Everton fans have their own singing section, and had good banter. No mention of any 10 point deduction in singing (despite being tempted), but I did sing after our first goal "Your city is red, your city is red, just like Bristol, your city is red"

Good to equalise twice; a well-deserved point. Everton have some real tall players in their squad...

DSC_4752.JPG

DSC_4754.JPG

DSC_4764~2.JPG

DSC_4759.JPG

DSC_4760.JPG

DSC_4761.JPG

DSC_4762.JPG

DSC_4763.JPG

DSC_4764.JPG

DSC_4765.JPG

DSC_4766.JPG

DSC_4767.JPG

DSC_4768.JPG

DSC_4769.JPG

DSC_4770.JPG

DSC_4771.JPG

DSC_4772.JPG

DSC_4773.JPG

DSC_4774.JPG

DSC_4775.JPG

DSC_4776.JPG

DSC_4777.JPG

DSC_4778.JPG

DSC_4779.JPG

DSC_4780.JPG

DSC_4781.JPG

DSC_4782.JPG

DSC_4783.JPG

DSC_4784.JPG

DSC_4785.JPG

DSC_4786.JPG

DSC_4787.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's also this video which was filmed by a father & son duo who asked me to appear in it during half time. They both have (respective) connections to Liverpool & Swindon Town so it was hard for them (or at least the boy) to pick a side to win! Contains some camera angles & shots that were much better than the rain-drenched camera used for the FA Player coverage

• Like 3

As expected, plenty of changes for tonight's Conti Cup game. Most first choice players are either on the bench or being rested ahead of Man Utd on Sunday.

Benedicte Haaland makes her first start in goal since returning to the club.

Aspin, Connolly, Jones the only starters from Sunday to retain their places.

Two academy players on the bench, including Manon Pearce.

KO 7.30pm. Game not being streamed live on FA Player, and is only available on SpursPlay; Spurs' streaming service which is subscription only.

I'm not at the game (one trip to Brisbane Road this season is enough for me), so will probably have to follow updates on Twitter like everyone else

F_jvf51XcAA1toq?format=jpg&name=medium

19 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

There's also this video which was filmed by a father & son duo who asked me to appear in it during half time. They both have (respective) connections to Liverpool & Swindon Town so it was hard for them (or at least the boy) to pick a side to win! Contains some camera angles & shots that were much better than the rain-drenched camera used for the FA Player coverage

Layzell has been great this season, the assist for the 2nd equaliser v Everton was amazing.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2023 at 08:17, Robbored said:

Absolutely spot on PF. 

Compared to mens football the limited coverage women’s football gets reflects the fans interest. I only ever watch women’s football when the Lionesses are live on tv and I couldn’t name one Bristol City woman player.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that BCFC women gets decent attendances tho.

Didn’t think you were interested. Was it the sex change that altered your view?

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

As expected, plenty of changes for tonight's Conti Cup game. Most first choice players are either on the bench or being rested ahead of Man Utd on Sunday.

Benedicte Haaland makes her first start in goal since returning to the club.

Aspin, Connolly, Jones the only starters from Sunday to retain their places.

Two academy players on the bench, including Manon Pearce.

KO 7.30pm. Game not being streamed live on FA Player, and is only available on SpursPlay; Spurs' streaming service which is subscription only.

I'm not at the game (one trip to Brisbane Road this season is enough for me), so will probably have to follow updates on Twitter like everyone else

F_jvf51XcAA1toq?format=jpg&name=medium

2-0 down after 30 mins

On 21/11/2023 at 23:32, shahanshahan said:

A great view of Amalie Thestrup nearly taking out teammate Naomi Layzell during her goal celebration 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

2-0 down after 30 mins

Finished 3-0 at full time. Out of the Conti Cup group with one game left to play (Reading at home in December). The other game in the group in this round is Southampton v Arsenal tonight, with a new record attendance to be set for a Saints Women game at St Mary's 

On 20/11/2023 at 13:17, Cowshed said:

A national league team would easily. A Western league would likewise. Good standard male U18 again .. Its not a fair equivalence.

Females cannot possess the pace and power of males, no amount of training will bridge that gap. 

Female football should be judged by the game that it is. Female football. 

This isn't actually true. Barcelona U19s played a few games years ago in pre season but and they lost, but now they beat them every season. Often by a few, I can't find some of these results but in 2020 they beat the U19s 7-0, and the women were missing a few key players. These games really help both teams, the women are much technically better, but the boys are faster and stronger so they both have to learn from their opponents in this regard. This has really helped Barca improve.

Arsenal have started doing this, as do Manchester City. The problem is the bad publicity just allows men to tell us that it's not 'real football' (I'm aware this isn't what you're doing here)

I don't know what level of mens football these teams would beat, but to say they have no chance of beating them is incorrect. It's a different skill and one that more womens teams are relishing in order to improve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SinéadB said:

This isn't actually true. Barcelona U19s played a few games years ago in pre season but and they lost, but now they beat them every season. Often by a few, I can't find some of these results but in 2020 they beat the U19s 7-0, and the women were missing a few key players. These games really help both teams, the women are much technically better, but the boys are faster and stronger so they both have to learn from their opponents in this regard. This has really helped Barca improve.

Arsenal have started doing this, as do Manchester City. The problem is the bad publicity just allows men to tell us that it's not 'real football' (I'm aware this isn't what you're doing here)

I don't know what level of mens football these teams would beat, but to say they have no chance of beating them is incorrect. It's a different skill and one that more womens teams are relishing in order to improve. 

I didn't state there's no chance, there is always a chance. I could post a list of games where adult female teams have done very badly versus U teams. My Sons former U15 development centre side beat a female WNL team, U15 males bullied adult females while holding back physically for fear of injuring their opponents. 

I coach primarily males, and I have coached females the differences in physical capability from strength, speed and abc's are stark. I would support and have been involved in females playing with males till U14. Past that age there is a safety and safeguarding issue. It maybe be ok for adult females to play non competitive football, to participate in light training with adult males, it is not safe and it  is utterly foolhardy for adult females to play in competitive games and intense training involving contact against adults of the opposite sex. Females simply cannot physically complete. Males physically destroy females in football, if they desire. I in my advancing years can dominate high level adult (I have coached them) females physically, I would not even take part in SSG's because the risk of injuring a player is so high. 

A Lucy Bronze is a wonderful female player. In the male game she would be slow, lacking power, and small in stature. That is the Lucy Bronze that scores headers at corners for England Ladies at the elite of the elite level .. She would be physically bullied in the male game. 

Hence I state female football should be judged and admired as the female game it is. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I didn't state there's no chance, there is always a chance. I could post a list of games where adult female teams have done very badly versus U teams. My Sons former U15 development centre side beat a female WNL team, U15 males bullied adult females while holding back physically for fear of injuring their opponents. 

I coach primarily males, and I have coached females the differences in physical capability from strength, speed and abc's are stark. I would support and have been involved in females playing with males till U14. Past that age there is a safety and safeguarding issue. It maybe be ok for adult females to play non competitive football, to participate in light training with adult males, it is not safe and it  is utterly foolhardy for adult females to play in competitive games and intense training involving contact against adults of the opposite sex. Females simply cannot physically complete. Males physically destroy females in football, if they desire. I in my advancing years can dominate high level adult (I have coached them) females physically, I would not even take part in SSG's because the risk of injuring a player is so high. 

A Lucy Bronze is a wonderful female player. In the male game she would be slow, lacking power, and small in stature. That is the Lucy Bronze that scores headers at corners for England Ladies at the elite of the elite level .. She would be physically bullied in the male game. 

Hence I state female football should be judged and admired as the female game it is. 

Lucy Bronze plays for a team that plays against Barcelona U19 boys frequently and they always win now (after losing when they started playing against them). And Chelsea beat the U18s in the summer, without some of Chelseas best players as they were coming back from the WWC). 

I'm not denying there is a physical advantage for men vs women, but I'm just stating that womens teams play against elite academies and start to win after they play them a few times.

"My Sons former U15 development centre side beat a female WNL team, U15 males bullied adult females while holding back physically for fear of injuring their opponents." - I don't doubt this, but as women play more against men, they actually improve and then start to help the boys. This has been proven at clubs like Barcelona, Chelsea.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SinéadB said:

Lucy Bronze plays for a team that plays against Barcelona U19 boys frequently and they always win now (after losing when they started playing against them). And Chelsea beat the U18s in the summer, without some of Chelseas best players as they were coming back from the WWC). 

Its thread about Bristol City WSL. I do not think Mickey Bell would allow it here. It is dangerous. 

55 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its thread about Bristol City WSL. I do not think Mickey Bell would allow it here. It is dangerous. 

You highlight what the thread should be about then mention someone that has nothing to do with the subject. Either there's a joke in there somewhere or you're trying to prove some some sort of point that hasn't translated well. @SinéadB was just trying to reply to your original comment

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Press conference took place today (club haven't released the audio yet), but other journalists have already posted about it. One was BBC's Emma Sanders, who posted about Rachel Furness' injury...

Now available. At over 20 mins long, this is probably the longest out of the lot that's been released so far...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smiths-manchester-united-presser/