IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Great to see they're carrying on their proud ******* tradition..... waste of space, the lot of 'em !

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, referring to them a 'waste of space' is uncalled for. I coached the women’s team in the late 1990s and there are, and were, many women who are passionate about their football. They represent the club, and we all have tough times as players and supporters. By all means don't follow the team  but women’s football is here to stay. 

Slartibartfast : [talking about the Earth] Best laid plans of mice.

Arthur : And men.

Slartibartfast : What?

Arthur : Best laid plans of mice and men.

Slartibartfast : Oh. No, I don't think men had much to do with it.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

I can't see it being different next season. I've said it before, there's such a gulf between the 2 leagues, just like the men's game. Without money you can't compete and we know the Lansdowns won't do that. Also Smith has been woeful tactically this season. I'd recruit a new coach and greater experience in the squad. They could struggle and be mid table.

I don't follow too closely day to day, but I think they said Smith was either extended or would be here next year anyway.

And that she also wants to keep as many of the squad as she can.

After what's happened this season, I agree with your thoughts on next, all things being equal.

If they ever do gain promotion again, they'll have to approach it differently. Budget, and someone who knows what they're doing at the top. It's no good Gavin Marshall saying 'we thought we could compete' when it was pretty obvious to anyone with a passing interest that all they set up to do was to limit their losses.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

On 14/05/2024 at 18:51, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/city-women-end-of-season-awards/

The women's end of season awards will be presented after the conclusion of the Everton match this Saturday.

This includes the Champagne Moment, which has been shortened down to two:
Rachel Furness' equalising header at home against Arsenal
Brooke Aspin's winner at West Ham away
Voting closes Friday 10am
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/vote-for-your-champagne-moment/

The champagne moment reduced to a shortlist of two. Gutted I missed the deadline for this. I would have been truly torn between those golden moments. My personal favourite however would have been the winning of a corner against Chelsea at home, or the unforgettable conversion of a drop-ball against the Villa. Thanks for the memories….

1 hour ago, Pippintogg said:

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, referring to them a 'waste of space' is uncalled for. I coached the women’s team in the late 1990s and there are, and were, many women who are passionate about their football. They represent the club, and we all have tough times as players and supporters. By all means don't follow the team  but women’s football is here to stay. 

Slartibartfast : [talking about the Earth] Best laid plans of mice.

Arthur : And men.

Slartibartfast : What?

Arthur : Best laid plans of mice and men.

Slartibartfast : Oh. No, I don't think men had much to do with it.

I was referring more to the backing (non existent). If that was the men's team with those type of results this place would go thermonuclear .They were obviously way out of their depth and I can't stand anything connected with the name BCFC to become a national laughing stock, which they are ! So SL & co put up or shut up , it will just happen again .

BTW liked the sketch from HHGTTG :clap:

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Last home game, last chance to shine. Last chance for some to stay on, perhaps. Last chance saloon for others. With 'nothing' to play for it would have made sense if there was a chance to play without any shackles. Sad to say it was business as usual - another defeat, another where there was little to cheer about.

All through this season back in the WSL we have had plenty of opportunities to make a mark; we knew from the outset that we were nowhere near the level of the top (Premiership) teams but could have a good go at staying. We have proved unworthy at most categories, and sink back down again to a Championship where the number of serious and well-backed teams has grown. Whoever rises above next season will have earned their place.

A slightly different formation greeted the start in a 3-4-2-1 (with some rotation of the front trio); several interesting starts for some, others spent time on the benches. Despite that, we still looked short of players in key positions and the Everton midfield had little worry for long periods. All too often we had a big gap between the back line and the midfield. That caused players in posession to stop momentarily and look for a teammate (a common problem with the men's side); that delay allowed the opponents to close down and usually forced us to back passes. Result: no attack, no threat, no outlet, and no win.

I thought some players today did try to engage and show something of the desire, but several looked out of form or even dejected from the beginning. On the few forays upfield we had one or two players getting in for the cross - the lack of bodies in the box showed that few of our players wanted to bust a gut.

Defensively we were inconsistent. The goals we conceeded were poor, with Everton strikers given plenty of time and space; marking has been a black mark on our defence all season. If they had been a touch more composed the score would have been double. Their class showed - they looked like a WSL side, we looked a division lower. I don't have the statistics to hand but I can't recall seeing us have more than one shot on target; their keeper won't need to wash her kit tomorrow. Towards the end of the game with lots of subs and swapping of positions, we had the look of a team without leaders on the pitch; an end-of-season feel all right.

I have tried to be positive all season and highlight the better parts, but there is no evading the obvious fact that this season has been dismal. All twelve home games at Ashton Gate have ended in defeat. There are a number of factors - some in our own hands, others outside influences - but I have a nasty feeling that next season will be little different unless a major effort to correct the flaws is made, especially from the top down. As with the men's side, it is not a given.

However, I will commend a few things. I have seen Jamie Lee Napier improve with each match and her energetic running (forwards and tracking back) were good to see. When brought on (too late for anything meaningful) both Harrison and Furness put themselves about well. Both brought a desire and energy that highlighted the lack prior, as did Powell. Between them they showed far more understanding and awareness, raising the performance noticeably. Why did they not start?

So there we have it: season 2023-24 back at the top table. A one and done. So many hopes, so few realities. So many advances and greater achievements off the field yet all these gains have been threatened. Yes, that is the nature of the beautiful game but did we really do ourselves justice? The story that will be written about it will simply say: 'simply not good enough all round'. Time to put this season in the ground and throw dirt in its face.

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 1

Unfortunate performance yesterday, and no wins at home at all this season.

The award winners announced after the game:
Women's Player of the Year: Amalie Thestrup
Women's Young Player of the Year: Naomi Layzell
Women's Golden Boot: Amalie Thestrup
Women's Champagne Moment: Brooke Aspin scoring the winner at West Ham away
Women's Players' Player of the Year: Naomi Layzell

And nice to be involved in the presentations on behalf of the SC&T...

GN38cs7W4AA68Em?format=jpg&name=large

GN3899TXUAAD8mz?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Last home game, last chance to shine. Last chance for some to stay on, perhaps. Last chance saloon for others. With 'nothing' to play for it would have made sense if there was a chance to play without any shackles. Sad to say it was business as usual - another defeat, another where there was little to cheer about.

All through this season back in the WSL we have had plenty of opportunities to make a mark; we knew from the outset that we were nowhere near the level of the top (Premiership) teams but could have a good go at staying. We have proved unworthy at most categories, and sink back down again to a Championship where the number of serious and well-backed teams has grown. Whoever rises above next season will have earned their place.

A slightly different formation greeted the start in a 3-4-2-1 (with some rotation of the front trio); several interesting starts for some, others spent time on the benches. Despite that, we still looked short of players in key positions and the Everton midfield had little worry for long periods. All too often we had a big gap between the back line and the midfield. That caused players in posession to stop momentarily and look for a teammate (a common problem with the men's side); that delay allowed the opponents to close down and usually forced us to back passes. Result: no attack, no threat, no outlet, and no win.

I thought some players today did try to engage and show something of the desire, but several looked out of form or even dejected from the beginning. On the few forays upfield we had one or two players getting in for the cross - the lack of bodies in the box showed that few of our players wanted to bust a gut.

Defensively we were inconsistent. The goals we conceeded were poor, with Everton strikers given plenty of time and space; marking has been a black mark on our defence all season. If they had been a touch more composed the score would have been double. Their class showed - they looked like a WSL side, we looked a division lower. I don't have the statistics to hand but I can't recall seeing us have more than one shot on target; their keeper won't need to wash her kit tomorrow. Towards the end of the game with lots of subs and swapping of positions, we had the look of a team without leaders on the pitch; an end-of-season feel all right.

I have tried to be positive all season and highlight the better parts, but there is no evading the obvious fact that this season has been dismal. All twelve home games at Ashton Gate have ended in defeat. There are a number of factors - some in our own hands, others outside influences - but I have a nasty feeling that next season will be little different unless a major effort to correct the flaws is made, especially from the top down. As with the men's side, it is not a given.

However, I will commend a few things. I have seen Jamie Lee Napier improve with each match and her energetic running (forwards and tracking back) were good to see. When brought on (too late for anything meaningful) both Harrison and Furness put themselves about well. Both brought a desire and energy that highlighted the lack prior, as did Powell. Between them they showed far more understanding and awareness, raising the performance noticeably. Why did they not start?

So there we have it: season 2023-24 back at the top table. A one and done. So many hopes, so few realities. So many advances and greater achievements off the field yet all these gains have been threatened. Yes, that is the nature of the beautiful game but did we really do ourselves justice? The story that will be written about it will simply say: 'simply not good enough all round'. Time to put this season in the ground and throw dirt in its face.

Missed this match due to hols but sounds like most games this season. I was hoping for a goal at least, can't recall the last time we scored.

On 19/05/2024 at 20:30, Eco said:

Missed this match due to hols but sounds like most games this season. I was hoping for a goal at least, can't recall the last time we scored.

Sunday March 3rd, in the crazy but depressing 7-3 loss to Brighton

• The title was changed to Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship
  • Admin

Following the conclusion of the 2023/24 campaign, City can confirm the players who will be leaving the club at the end of their contracts.

Rachel Furness, Sarah Stratigakis, Maddi Wilde and Lisa Evans all depart, while Brooke Aspin returns to parent-club Chelsea following her loan.

Aspin, an academy graduate who signed for Chelsea last summer, returned to the South West on loan and played an important role over the course of the 2023/24 season, including heading home the winner away at West Ham United.

Wilde joined the Robins at the Under-11s stage and went on to make her first-team debut in November 2021 in a 3-0 win against Blackburn Rovers in the Barclays Women’s Championship.

Stratigakis and Evans both put pen to paper in January, and we thank them for their contributions this season.

TAKEN FROM: City Women announce released list - Bristol City FC (bcfc.co.uk)

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Stratigakis and Evans both put pen to paper in January, and we thank them for their contributions this season.

Both of them signed until the end of the 2024/25 season, so I'm guessing they had relegation clauses or were free to leave earlier. None of them made a real impact unfortunately 

Edited by shahanshahan

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm glad that Threstrup hasn't gone yet, presumably as she signed a two year deal last summer. No doubt she'll leave later in the summer?

I believe the transfer window will be open at some point this summer then we shall see...

• Admin
5 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Both of them signed until the end of the 2024/25 season, so I'm guessing they had relegation clauses or were free to leave earlier. None of them made a real impact unfortunately 

Lisa Evans was always an odd signing as she was rubbish at West Ham, and spent most of the time on the bench with us, Stratigakis managed just 189 minutes both were a complete waste of time signing

Letting Wilde go is odd as she played so well in the Championship this season on loan with London Lions

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Evans made no impact whatsoever, on the pitch anyway.

On 20/05/2024 at 21:45, shahanshahan said:

Sunday March 3rd, in the crazy but depressing 7-3 loss to Brighton

Thanks. That game was a rollercoaster, getting back to 3-4 we had a chance then we then drastically fell apart.

• Sad 1

On 22/05/2024 at 15:43, phantom said:

Lisa Evans was always an odd signing as she was rubbish at West Ham, and spent most of the time on the bench with us, Stratigakis managed just 189 minutes both were a complete waste of time signing

Letting Wilde go is odd as she played so well in the Championship this season on loan with London Lions

Another one here disappointed that Maddie is going, I had high hopes for her now she has had experience at that level. She's also worked really hard off the pitch too and now it looks like someone else will benefit from that. 

• Sad 1

• Admin

TAKEN FROM:  Rachel Furness: Mental health forced Northern Ireland break - BBC Sport

'I was lost' - Dancing with fans, hiding the pain

The sun was not only setting over Southampton, but also on Northern Ireland’s Euro 2022 adventure.

Not that you would think it by the scenes in St Mary’s.

After the final whistle of a 5-0 defeat by eventual winners England, Northern Ireland's players and staff gathered in the corner of the pitch, singing and dancing in front of the travelling support.

Northern Ireland’s success had been reaching their first major tournament and whatever happened after was a bonus.

Their campaign was over after three matches, but it's very existence was a reason to celebrate.

Rachel Furness was front and centre of it all. A fan favourite, she had found a ‘Green and White Army’ flag and was using it to conduct Northern Ireland’s supporters in the stands.

Things looked like they had never been better as she, along with everyone in green, danced and sung long into the night.

A few months previously, Furness had become Northern Ireland's all-time leading goalscorer, been presented with BBC NI's Sports Personality Award by Jurgen Klopp and had helped club side Liverpool to promotion back into the Women's Super League.

From the outside, Furness was having the time of her life.

However, that could not have been further from the truth.

Just over a month after Northern Ireland's joyful exit from the competition, the 35-year-old released a statement making herself unavailable for selection for international duty for the foreseeable future for "personal reasons".

The messages of support from friends and team-mates were numerous and immediate, but they were accompanied with a palpable sense of shock.

For Furness though, it had been a long time coming. This is her story.

"I remember at a point before the Euros, I was thinking 'can I continue to do this?'. I had no escape," Furness tells BBC Sport NI as she opens up about her mental health journey.

"It was a really, really tough decision, but the little girl in me wanted to play at a major tournament, to go and experience that."

She boarded the plane to the Southampton, and, with her customary smile, made history stepping out against Norway in Northern Ireland women's first match at a major tournament.

But behind the outgoing persona, things were brewing.

Midway through the tournament she wanted to go home for the sake of her mental health.

"You might think it's crazy, but I just wasn't happy," says Furness.

"Everything just seemed so in place on the football side, it was going really well."

In the background, everything wasn't as rosy.

Off the pitch, she had been processing the end of a long-term relationship alongside her father's illness.

Coupled with the high-intensity environment of a major tournament, she had reached breaking point.

"Personally, I wasn't happy with myself in the environment," Furness adds.

“Then you start to question, why? Why am I doing this? Why do I feel like this?"

After shedding some tears, she composes herself to recall the conversations as team-mates attempted to persuade her to remain in camp, rather than walk out on a campaign that was the pinnacle of all their international careers.

Furness and her fellow players talked long and deep, looking out from their hotel overlooking Southampton’s sun-kissed harbour. In the end, she was convinced to stay.

"I'm glad I did stay because I go back to that moment with the fans at the end, and thinking that was all worth it," she says. "That's the special moment I take away."

But when the singing stopped, when the dancing was done, a decision remained.

Furness had managed to get through the tournament, but her mind was made up. She needed to take a step back from a team she loved so much.

After the tournament, she had conversations with staff about "how I was feeling, and how I was made to feel" and why she couldn't carry on.

"It was tough to get across how I felt, and how mentally I was feeling," she says.

"I did blame myself for a lot of that. Before I'd spoken to somebody and made sense of it, you do just blame yourself.

"I love representing Northern Ireland, and taking that risk of stepping back, never knowing if I'd step back in, was one of the biggest decisions of my life.

“Two years on you can tell it still touches and it still means a lot, but it's one I can comfortably speak about now. I'm in a much better place for that."

After making her debut in 2005, Furness established herself as one of the key members in NI’s squad.

Whether that be with her leadership, goal threat or even just the fact she played in England's top tier – Furness is one of the most recognisable faces in Northern Irish sport.

Now sitting on 95 caps, she had been through the times of when players had to pay their way for matches, kit and training camps.

Having scored the opening goal in the first leg of Northern Ireland's Euro 2022 qualification play-off against Ukraine, played on for 10 minutes with a broken leg and then celebrated victory in the return fixture by jigging about on crutches, Euro 2022 was to be a glorious climax to her career.

But things weren’t right.

"In the months before I did step back I know I wasn't in the best place," said Furness, who added she still works on her mental health daily.

"Football would have been a switch off in the past and would help deal with certain things, but when I was in an environment where I feel like it was then taking away, there is only so much you can take.”

After her decision to step away, Furness watched Northern Ireland's next two fixtures - September's World Cup qualifiers in Latvia and Luxembourg - from afar.

Knowing her body was fit and able to compete, she admits she briefly questioned her decision and wondered what would had happened had she continued.

“They were some of the hardest months of my life,” Furness says.

"I was proud of the girls, but I needed help. I was in a very bad place. I was lost.

"If you take Northern Ireland away from me, and in this case I took it away as it was my decision, that's a massive part of me.”

During her hiatus from the national team, Furness made a choice that would change her outlook entirely.

She was still involved with Liverpool, although not playing the minutes that she would like.

An opportunity opened up to drop down a tier to Bristol City, who were vying for the Women's Championship title.

Furness did not know anyone at the club, but with the prospect of a new beginning, she took a risk and made the move.

"My Liverpool team-mates could see daily that I was struggling," she says.

"A lot of my friends and family wanted me to stay at Liverpool because they were scared I wasn't in a good place or not strong enough to move.

"But having spoken to my psychologist - we flipped it on its head a bit. Can I be a positive impact to this young squad?

"None of them knew what had went on in my personal life. They just see it from the outside and they only know how much I let them know.

"It came at a really dark time, a different time in my life. I'm really thankful that it came about."

Furness praises the "fantastic" environment at Bristol which has helped her "create a life off the pitch" as well, with increased coaching roles.

However she believes that while mental health support is now a common feature of women's football set-ups, there is still work to do normalising players making use of it.

"It's never been made a normal conversation," she says. "It's 'oh, the psychologist is in, book an appointment', or a case of 'what's wrong?'.

"You could be in a good place and still speak to somebody. I still speak to a psychologist now."

A Northern Ireland return was something that Furness never expected, but, as life improved on and off the pitch, the prospect became something she could consider, even welcome.

"If I’m honest I didn't think I'd play for Northern Ireland again," she says of her choice to step away in 2022.

"I had to be okay with that decision.

"But I found myself loving life at Bristol City. I was putting myself back together. I felt in a good place.

"When Northern Ireland got in touch, we had some conversations and I made myself available. Not knowing if I'd get selected, I just let them know that I'd feel comfortable coming back into the environment.

"If I felt stepping away was one of the hardest decisions, coming back was so difficult.”

For Furness, Thursday, 6 April 2023 is a day she'll never forget. It was a typical spring day in Cardiff, with the frequent rain showers occasionally punctured by rays of sunshine.

More than that, however, it is when she wore Northern Ireland's colours once more.

"I had never been so nervous," she says of reintegrating into the national team camp where the Irish Football Association had offered her psychological support.

"I didn't know how I was going to be received. I didn't know how I was going to feel. It was tough. I was a shell of myself that Wales camp.

"I remember trying to have a few conversations, not to make myself feel comfortable in the environment, but to make the environment understand why I stepped away.

“I wanted the girls to understand where I was coming from."

Furness had got the moment she had been waiting for with 25 minutes left to play at the Cardiff City Stadium. Interim manager Andy Waterworth, in charge after the departure of Kenny Shiels, summoned her from the bench and introduced her to the action.

In truth, Northern Ireland were outclassed that afternoon by Wales, losing 4-1, but it didn't matter to Furness. She was back.

"I wanted to do myself proud," she says. "It didn't matter how well I played.

"For me, the strength was stepping over that white line and putting the shirt on again, to show that I could come back into the environment, to not be scared. If you do step away, you can still come back.”

Furness, who says she now “feels more myself” when in camp, acknowledges her playing career may be coming to an end in the next couple of years, but her thirst for the game remains and she is already planning her next steps.

Being honest with herself and her team-mates is top of the list.

"I want to lead by example and how I needed to allow myself to be vulnerable," she says.

"If I had just carried on and acted as if everything was OK, continuing to play and putting on that brave face, even if my team-mates see me unhappy, then what example am I showing?

"I just hope that some of the young girls still look up to me and see that I was strong.

"Being vulnerable is not a weakness, it's the ultimate strength."

• Like 2

• Admin

TAKEN FROM: Olivia Clark column: Wales goalkeeper on club, country and golf - BBC Sport

In her first BBC Sport column, Bristol City goalkeeper Olivia Clark looks forward to Wales' Euro 2025 qualifying games against Ukraine in Llanelli on Friday, 31 May and in Poland on Tuesday, 4 June

It is great to be away with Wales, I love every second of being on international duty.

Wales has been a real constant in my football career and I have learned so much going from being third, second and currently first-choice goalkeeper.

I never take being number one for granted, it is something that can always change, but I am striving to keep that shirt and to just play as much as I can.

The Wales goalkeepers all push each other and whoever plays is supported by the others.

Laura O'Sullivan is an amazing example of that - no-one has been a bigger supporter of mine in the past year.

We learned a lot in the last two games and we are working hard, we all know what the end goal is, we are desperate for major tournament qualification.

It is obviously early days for us with our new manager Rhian Wilkinson, but I have really enjoyed having her here.

She has not made loads of changes, some of the changes we, as players, knew were things that needed tweaking. Rhian has put her own stamp on things but it is still a similar atmosphere. We are a family here and you can see her Canadian background with her coaching style.

It has been cool so far to work with her and something I've really enjoyed.

Next season I just want to play

It was really disappointing to be relegated from the Women's Super League with Bristol City. It is extremely hard to compete at that level against some of the clubs and the resources they have.

Bristol City are about homegrown players and we had the youngest squad in the league, but at times we lacked experience in the big games.

The season did not work out how we wanted it to. We knew it would be hard from day one but we were still hopeful we could have a good season.

It will be interesting to see how the Championship has progressed now. It is hard to explain it but for a number of reasons, going away to Durham can be harder than going and playing Arsenal at the Emirates.

For me, next season the goal is to play and to be happy and feel settled at a football club. My future at the moment is unclear.

I love Bristol City and I have enjoyed my time there so much. But wherever my future lies I want to end up at a good club with ambition that has a long-term goal to be in the WSL.

People overlook the fact your real life is a factor as well in considering where you want to play. I have lived in three different cities in five years and my home is up north and I have kept moving further down south and away from home.

You must make sacrifices for football, but I do want to be happy as well. It is a really important time in my career.

I love golf now!

I started playing golf about two months ago and I love it! I love golf now, the next Gareth Bale, that's me.

I hated it when I started playing, because golf is actually really hard. But once I start something, I cannot be bad at it. That is not my personality, I have to be good at it, with absolutely everything.

I started to absolutely love golf and I have tried to have a few lessons and I have joined a women’s golf group. It is a perfect activity for days off from football.

I have started a TikTok about learning to play golf, Ffion Morgan got me into it and my first golf video kind of went viral, so I've stuck with it. Ffion is the TikTok Queen. I cannot match her content!

But a lot of girls do play golf or want to, but they would be scared to go to a golf club. When you do go to one it is a very male-dominated environment so just playing with women and seeing other women play, it is kind of cool. I hope I can encourage a few more to give it a try.

It is so nice to have a social life that is not football. Football is my life and all my friends are footballers, everything in my life is football-based.

It is hard to meet people outside of football and joining the golf group has allowed me to meet other people from different walks of life and we just have a nice time having a round of golf.

It was my boyfriend who encouraged me to give it a try. I hated it and we had an argument, but I have stuck it out and now I really enjoy it.

In terms of my football, I think golf is good for hand-eye co-ordination, but it has definitely taken some getting used to.

I used to play cricket so when I started I swung the club like a cricket bat, I wouldn't recommend playing both sports, there is a real technique overlap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, phantom said:

For me, next season the goal is to play and to be happy and feel settled at a football club. My future at the moment is unclear.

I love Bristol City and I have enjoyed my time there so much. But wherever my future lies I want to end up at a good club with ambition that has a long-term goal to be in the WSL.

Open admission here that she doesn't know if she'll be at the club next season. The goalkeeper situation in the team was crazy this season.

She's the Wales #1 so I wouldn't be surprised if she has to go somewhere else to maintain that form...

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Open admission here that she doesn't know if she'll be at the club next season. The goalkeeper situation in the team was crazy this season.

She's the Wales #1 so I wouldn't be surprised if she has to go somewhere else to maintain that form...

It reads to me like she's looking for a move elsewhere 

• Sad 1