IGNORED

Over here son on my ????

Red Army 75

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Jay Dasilva's head or Aden Flints? And as others have said, free kicks, corners, goal kicks and clearances all become almost impossible. 

Yeah would be a bit crap wouldn't it!

On 07/02/2020 at 09:25, underhanded said:

I appreciate it seems strong but just because you're fine doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue. Just down the road at the Uni of Bath they've conducted world leading research into the dangers of concussion injuries in rugby, and the research into heading the ball in football has followed suit. Unfortunately the research is fairly compelling - and the links to brain damage are strong.

I don't think a ban is the way forward. When research uncovers something like this, the best response tends to be the follow up research into counter-measures that can mitigate the dangers associated with the activity. So whether its new ball technology or advancements in head-wear, the game should be pushing for this, rather than an outright ban

whoosh

On 07/02/2020 at 09:25, underhanded said:

I appreciate it seems strong but just because you're fine doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue. Just down the road at the Uni of Bath they've conducted world leading research into the dangers of concussion injuries in rugby, and the research into heading the ball in football has followed suit. Unfortunately the research is fairly compelling - and the links to brain damage are strong.

I don't think a ban is the way forward. When research uncovers something like this, the best response tends to be the follow up research into counter-measures that can mitigate the dangers associated with the activity. So whether its new ball technology or advancements in head-wear, the game should be pushing for this, rather than an outright ban

I wasn't for a moment suggesting this "hasn't been an issue".  I did boxing whilst I was at Uni.  I did a fair bit of investigation into brain damage within boxing and NFL as part of my course, so I am somewhat familiar with the subject.  The findings were frightening, especially when you look at the NFL data.

Seems the research you point to shows the same conclusions.

But the art of boxing is to hit and not get hit.  And I went into the sport fully aware of the dangers.  I was a fully informed adult and accepted it was dangerous.  I never got any serious injuries with it, except for a sprained thumb and black eye, both of which were my own fault.  But probably what you expect when sparring top end guys.

More recently I ran a boxing gym and have looked at the dangers within the sport again.  Since I boxed there are now more reports/studies etc on boxing and the related injuries.  I spent some time with the Irish Olympic squad and their sports science guys.  Turns out the sports are difficult to compare in terms of which is most dangerous, when you factor in time spent training versus time competing.  If memory serves the most dangerous sport was rugby, then horse jumping (or whatever it is), football was surprisingly high up and boxing was below that.  They have in recent times come out with a hand held piece of tech which can be used to scan for concussion.  However, the amateur boxing circle is an odd lot (I believe Mr Conlan made mention of this in the last Olympics)? and so it is not yet common place at all amateur bouts.

So yes I agree with your point.  However in practical terms the sport has to be able and willing to embrace any such change.  And this is often more of a sticking point (or the politics) than anything else.

Archived