IGNORED

Lee had offers.

glen humphries

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wages:                   Amortised fees / contracts

15/16 - £15m           £2m

18/19 - £24m           £8m

Both seasons in Championship for fair comparison.

So is it fair to say that’s 17 vs 32?

plus that 32 is going to go up some for this season isn’t it?

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

So is it fair to say that’s 17 vs 32?

plus that 32 is going to go up some for this season isn’t it?

Not quite, but shows some other costs we’re committed to next season and beyond.  Just wanted to give a bit of context, beyond just wages.

Yes, very likely to go up.

Cotts did a very good job in getting us up. We had the budget to compete for automatics. He delivered. And played attacking football. All great stuff.

Championship? It was a disaster. He had to go imo.

It seems many clubs would take LJ at our level whenever in need of a new manager. None seem to want Cotts. That speaks volumes imo.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cotts did a very good job in getting us up. We had the budget to compete for automatics. He delivered. And played attacking football. All great stuff.

Championship? It was a disaster. He had to go imo.

It seems many clubs would take LJ at our level whenever in need of a new manager. None seem to want Cotts. That speaks volumes imo.

Names

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Names

Rumours are he has had other offers. Looking at what he has done I believe those rumours are likely true.

Not heard such rumours about Cotts.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Rumours are he has had other offers. Looking at what he has done I believe those rumours are likely true.

It appears (according to @JamesBCFC) that Villa might’ve been serious at the time they replaced Di Matteo with Bruce.  I’ve not heard anything since then....not to say there hasn’t been though.

If I were LJ I’d be disappointed I wasn’t touted for the Brighton job in the summer.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

...so no names then.

I just more or less said I don't know exactly what clubs have wanted LJ in the past. So I can't give you names. Sorry. I'd love to know which clubs. I think he hasn't taken any offers because he knows he has time with us to build. He won't get that elsewhere.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I just more or less said I don't know exactly what clubs have wanted LJ in the past. So I can't give you names. Sorry. I'd love to know which clubs. I think he hasn't taken any offers because he knows he has time with us to build. He won't get that elsewhere.

Prem clubs?

In the ultra corporate world of the Football board room you can imagine Johnson’s presentations would go down really well. Young, smart, gift of the gab. He can easily demonstrate year on year progression at city and turning a profit on players. This might be a bit smoke and mirrors but using Reid, Bryan, Kelly and Webster as examples he would prove his point. Showing year on year improvement despite losing key squad players (see above)

What more do you want really as an owner. As a fan we want decent football but as an owner ?

He won’t be short of offers. Maybe not PL but certainly top half champ clubs 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Prem clubs?

Not sure what clubs.

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

In the ultra corporate world of the Football board room you can imagine Johnson’s presentations would go down really well. Young, smart, gift of the gab. He can easily demonstrate year on year progression at city and turning a profit on players. This might be a bit smoke and mirrors but using Reid, Bryan, Kelly and Webster as examples he would prove his point. Showing year on year improvement despite losing key squad players (see above)

What more do you want really as an owner. As a fan we want decent football but as an owner ?

Absolutely spot on.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Where did these rumours emanate from? Johnson said he'd had offers. I'd be amazed if that could be kept secret. 

I think he's making it up and it's bizarre thing to come out with. 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rumours are just rumours - there is zero evidence that LJ has been offered the manager’s job at other clubs, same for Cotts ...

I think he has been offered jobs.

Cotts took an assistant managers job of a team in the relegation zone.

It does not seem like he is offered jobs at this level to me.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t imagine any decent team in their right mind would offer LJ a job, unless they’ve been really lazy and not watched us play.

Come on Fordy, this is a ridiculous statement clearly founded in your own dislike of Johnson rather than any actual reality. You make it sound as if he's barely managed to keep us in the league. Clearly if he were out of work there would be plenty of interest, considering his proven track record of improving our league placing as well as improving players. 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t imagine any decent team in their right mind would offer LJ a job, unless they’ve been really lazy and not watched us play.

This. 

Plenty of more attractive clubs than us in the league and would turn anyone's head if they wanted you. 

Zilch concrete evidence and whilst I'm sure LJ does a mean presentation, properly run clubs do a bit more due diligence than taking the word of an applicant. 

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So you don't actually know that he's had any offers at all. Fair enough.

Does anyone?

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Come on Fordy, this is a ridiculous statement clearly founded in your own dislike of Johnson rather than any actual reality. You make it sound as if he's barely managed to keep us in the league. Clearly if he were out of work there would be plenty of interest, considering his proven track record of improving our league placing as well as improving players. 

I genuinely think they’d have watched our back catelogue and observed that in a disproportionate amount of games that we’ve won, we’ve been lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I genuinely think they’d have watched our back catelogue and observed that in a disproportionate amount of games that we’ve won, we’ve been lucky. 

He’s statistically done a better job here than Smith at Brentford. It’s a results business and he’d be judged by other clubs on the results here.

Lunacy and pretty disrespectful to suggest we’re the only club who’d have him, there’s zero credibility in that argument whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Can we have a guess at what percentage of Cotts’s squad’s salary is now being earned by LJ’s?

Im saying 300%. 

Cotts players when we came up or when they left? Flint/Pack for example probably on massively bigger contracts upon leaving than when Cotts left, so Cotts had players on 6k a week (random figure no basis) but after contract extensions they could easily have been 15k a week players. So despite being the same player LJ is having to recruit a replacement for a 15k a week player rather than a 6k a week one Cotts had 

45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

What about the statement made it sound like the offer was in the last month? It just sounded like in his time here, its really not that hard to think 17/18 just after we'd had the semi final games that some big champ/lower prem clubs may have been willing to give him a job

43 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

No idea if you’re right or not, but quite damming if so, for a bright, young coach to only get offers from same division.  I know that sounds bitchy of me.  It probably is in fairness but bear with me.  I suspect LJ would only entertain Prem job offers, and I’m not sure there have been any.  Much as I admire his affinity with this club, I would expect him to jump at a Prem club offer, and I’d be pleased for him. As I said earlier, really surprised his name didn’t get a mention re Brighton (as far as I saw).

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he has been offered jobs.

Cotts took an assistant managers job of a team in the relegation zone.

It does not seem like he is offered jobs at this level to me.

Not too billy big balls To help out a friend in Harry Redknapp, who Harry praised massively for doing all the training ground stuff to get them into shape.  And he succeeded....beating our own / LJ’s team on the final day.  The irony.

Personally I think LJ could do with taking an assistant coaches job at somewhere like Everton, Southampton.  I think he’s missed doing that role.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Cotts players when we came up or when they left? Flint/Pack for example probably on massively bigger contracts upon leaving than when Cotts left, so Cotts had players on 6k a week (random figure no basis) but after contract extensions they could easily have been 15k a week players. So despite being the same player LJ is having to recruit a replacement for a 15k a week player rather than a 6k a week one Cotts had 

Why not find the next Aden Flint on £6k per week?  How much was Pinnock on at Barnsley?  Or under our noses at FGR?  Didn’t have to spend £x’000 on Webster and £20-25’000 on Kalas.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No idea if you’re right or not, but quite damming if so, for a bright, young coach to only get offers from same division.  I know that sounds bitchy of me.  It probably is in fairness but bear with me.  I suspect LJ would only entertain Prem job offers, and I’m not sure there have been any.  Much as I admire his affinity with this club, I would expect him to jump at a Prem club offer, and I’d be pleased for him. As I said earlier, really surprised his name didn’t get a mention re Brighton (as far as I saw).

Not too billy big balls To help out a friend in Harry Redknapp, who Harry praised massively for doing all the training ground stuff to get them into shape.  And he succeeded....beating our own / LJ’s team on the final day.  The irony.

Personally I think LJ could do with taking an assistant coaches job at somewhere like Everton, Southampton.  I think he’s missed doing that role.

I don't think LJ is an assistant manager type. He wants to be in charge. Let's hope he keeps improving our league position every season.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think LJ is an assistant manager type. He wants to be in charge. Let's hope he keeps improving our league position every season.

....and that’s his development gap.  Sod the NHS, Red Arrows, Commandos....perhaps spend the summer playing second fiddle to someone.  Put himself in Deano and Macca’s shoes.  Perhaps ask Gareth if he can help with the Euros?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

:laugh: is that the latest line?!

LJ's 40% win record across over 200 games in the Championship is down to luck?

You're coming across as very bitter.

FWIW (In response to others that have wondered) I reckon the two clubs that have shown interest in LJ since he has been at City are Villa and West Brom. That should melt a few brains...

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, we'll all be happy with 1-0.

But that doesn't mean that many of us expect that to happen. If the team, including Johnson, dish up the same crap, we will lose again. Inconsistency all the time and absolutely awful at home.

But - we are joint 6th. The ‘same old crap’ isn’t that bad if we are top 6 ( ok 7th on GD). 
Plenty of teams would want to be where we are - including Derby....

OK Perhaps the league DOES lie and we are really 20th........

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

FWIW (In response to others that have wondered) I reckon the two clubs that have shown interest in LJ since he has been at City are Villa and West Brom. That should melt a few brains...

Exactly - "shown interest" or in other words his name has been on a list as long as your arm of possible contenders. Just like every other club, in every other league, draws up a wishlist. Very different from him being Villa's or WBA's no.1 target who they were gutted not to get because he's so loyal to "his" club BCFC - which is what some on here want to imply. 

Archived