IGNORED

Jordan. The Orange One hat Used To Own Palace

REDOXO

I always thought the bloke was a bit of a penis (an orange one at that) however today I was driving and listening to him on TalkSport. I was shocked, he really talked a lot of sense and had a lot of insight, particularly from a Chairman's view point of his manager/s. Certainly from the point of view of how long and how much you give a manager and the ability of some managers to not be particularly good motivators.

Put me in mind of our players and how motivated they look some games and how demotivated they look at others, that seems to mainly manifest itself as home and away

Also the idea that by 2022 The Premier League will have its own TV network which they maybe trialling in Singapore soon. He reckoned the revenue to the Prem could increase by many billions of dollars and talked about ways to use that money to sustain the pyramid through a trickledown as its no one's interests to see that fail.

Changed my view of the bloke, he's obviously sharp and is Palace to the core. 

He is excellent on talk sport and has been for some time.

Very open and honest about his bravado and personality and the success and equally the failures that has bought him, overall talks a hell of a lot of sense and manages to break down the some of the complicated financial aspects of football into more layman acceptable explanations

@REDOXO thought he was a bit of knob a number of years ago, but read his book, after I started to get more interested in the financial side of football, heard him on TS...and completely changed my opinion of him.  He still has the odd moment, but generally he’s very good.

Worth having a read of his book if you can.  The Steve Bruce gardening leave was very interesting.

I listened to it a couple of weeks ago and posted the following on here:

He is I suspect right about FFP being the future of football, it's a matter of opinion but I believe it is likely that it would need a big club to get really hammered it to be a big game-changer.

He made a variety of factual errors though plus a couple of omissions- bit unlike him on these matters! He rightly stated that selling a ground isn't like selling a player.

He said something about Mel Morris justifying it via roof and concerts- well I remember that Morris interview and he (Morris) said £180m would have been the outcome! Derby are I believe stating that their valuation was correct, regardless of future work- and tbh under certain methods of valuation, maybe it is in the right ballpark- problem is, different methods of valuation can throw up different results it appears!

He also stated that the EFL valuer had revalued it to £60m...nope, it was £49-50m.

He also neglected to mention, though this is an omission rather than an error that a) The EFL have a mechanism for fair value rules and b) That different methods of valuation can throw up different results- already covered on here, but I thought he might have mentioned it!

If there is a longer version though, that certainly would be worth a listen.

The bits in bold, I was surprised that he omitted to cover these. Someone of his knowledge and background in the industry.

I listened a couple of times and am definitely confident that he omitted these or otherwise got them wrong.

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Anyone would find it impossible on Talksport to out-dikhead (Is that an expression?)  Adrian Durham.......who has for sometime been the Smuggest phecker on the airwaves?

To be fair to him, there a appears to be two different versions of AD on Talksport. The WUM that hosts his Drive show, and the AD that does the live scores program on a Saturday. A knowledgeable football guy, who does a really decent job in that role. Can be VERY irritating when he has a bee in his bonnet about something, I agree there.

18 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I always thought the bloke was a bit of a penis (an orange one at that) however today I was driving and listening to him on TalkSport. I was shocked, he really talked a lot of sense and had a lot of insight, particularly from a Chairman's view point of his manager/s. Certainly from the point of view of how long and how much you give a manager and the ability of some managers to not be particularly good motivators.

Put me in mind of our players and how motivated they look some games and how demotivated they look at others, that seems to mainly manifest itself as home and away

Also the idea that by 2022 The Premier League will have its own TV network which they maybe trialling in Singapore soon. He reckoned the revenue to the Prem could increase by many billions of dollars and talked about ways to use that money to sustain the pyramid through a trickledown as its no one's interests to see that fail.

Changed my view of the bloke, he's obviously sharp and is Palace to the core. 

I was of the same opinion, totally won me over talks a lot sense 

He used to annoy me but he talks a lot of sense. I particularly like how he stands up for the lower leagues. I know he is a bit smug but having a forward thinking and business person like him in charge of the FA wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

That will never happen though because it’s the FA. 

6 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

He's about the only decent thing about Talk Sport.  He's very informative and tells it how it is. 

H&J still pretty decent in the afternoon although since Murdoch got his hands on TS It seems they have Scum and Times jornos on.

Archived