IGNORED

No VAR please

Hampshire Red

Out with Spurs and Saints friends last night so the usual, boring topics arose-Corona and VAR. To liven the debate we watched the two Millwall incidents numerous times, so the question is, was Weimann cross a pen (100%) was Nagy's foul just after also a pen (40%)  but the ref had a good view. 

I know it's all in the past but do you want VAR next season-whichever division we're in?

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I hate var so no thanks. I go to games to celebrate goals not to see correct decisions. If you get a bad one just accept it 

I’m in your camp Dave.

Im sorry that money has clouded everyone’s judgement, but it’s just a game. It’s a game that should just flow and doesn’t need VAR. The human element is fine

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

I would want var for penalty decisions and red cards only on the proviso that an official not on the pitch can only recommend the on pitch ref goes to the screen to decide for themselves 

shouldn't even need VAR for that. If the ref is 100% sure, a penalty is given. If he's unsure , he looks at the monitor. 

23 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

shouldn't even need VAR for that. If the ref is 100% sure, a penalty is given. If he's unsure , he looks at the monitor. 

Why even go that far?  We’ve managed ok for 120 years without VAR.  The only reason it is being brought in is because tv analysis now identifies clearly when mistakes have been made, but so what?  Refereeing mistakes are part of the game. The answer is to adjust the rules, where necessary, to make it more difficult to make mistakes.  The handball rule is confused and inconsistent; the offside rule is ridiculous and almost meaningless in some contexts.  If two linesmen - sorry ‘assistant referees’ - are not enough, then introduce two more, and divide the pitch into quarters.

Surely it’s not rocket science to devise a way to let the game flow and retain the atmosphere and excitement that makes football a unique sport.  Other sports have done it - tennis, for example.  VAR will kill what makes football great.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Game would stop/start a lot more for every time a ref may want to stop to look at the screen rather than someone giving it a quick check first than advising 

Hate VAR. Mistakes happen obviously but part of going to football is moaning about the “wrong” decisions after the game. I want to celebrate a goal as soon as it goes in not five minutes later. Imagine if Korey Smith’s goal v Man United had gone to VAR. Would have really spoilt the celebration. They sometimes take so long to make a decision. Can see a 90 minute match finishing really late if there’s a lot of VAR decisions. 

Whilst I hate to see poor refereeing,  VAR is spoiling the game even more.  My feeling is that the poor decisions probably even themselves out over time, so I would ditch VAR.  I agree that goal line technology remains a benefit though.

Saturday was a case in point.  2 penalties but neither given, evened out in the end.

15 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It’s been brought in to protect refs. They don’t need protection, just respect. 

As already said, just accept whatever decision is given. 

Yep. Just need to start carding players for dissent. Would be a couple of weeks with 5 reds a game then players would stop moaning at the ref for every single decision.

37 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Yep. Just need to start carding players for dissent. Would be a couple of weeks with 5 reds a game then players would stop moaning at the ref for every single decision.

The Ancelotti one was interesting for me, players swore at the ref all game to no action taken, Ancelotti gets given a straight red (managers can be given yellows right?) doesn't seem overly consistent and hard to respect him in which case.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Whilst I hate to see poor refereeing,  VAR is spoiling the game even more.  My feeling is that the poor decisions probably even themselves out over time, so I would ditch VAR.  I agree that goal line technology remains a benefit though.

Saturday was a case in point.  2 penalties but neither given, evened out in the end.

Agree you got a ref an two linesman but linesman seem to be told not to make their own minds up on decisions leave it to the ref and it seems only the bigger clubs benifit on v.a.r.decisions . Eg Liverpool an Man unt.

Archived