IGNORED

40 years ago today.

ralphindevon

1 hour ago, Red Grovesy said:

I think it is a drawing of what was going to be their new stand. I can't remember how many City went.

Yes - I hope to go to the new Spurs stadium, to watch City, one day.

If you look at that, Tottenham are preparing themselves for the future - the 1980s! - kitting their ground out with executive boxes and "corporate entertainment" and all that, something Aston Villa had already gone into behind one goal in '76, and even Filbert Street had a bit of at one end. Many more clubs would follow Tottenham over the ensuing decade.

The "future" or the 1980s, didn't arrive at AG until 2015.

That new, modern stand at WHL though, was shite, and completely devoid of atmosphere, character and "soul," or interest (of the human variety, rather than the fiscal) when compared to the stand it replaced. It had "Irving Scholar" written all over it. Probably. 

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:13, Red Grovesy said:

1980.thumb.jpg.a67402a6337c0d80aa4e7f0d43d45421.jpg

Went to the Man City defeat at Maine Road on 19th April. That was a big relegation battle, IIRC we were 3-0 down after about half an hour, Dave Rodgers getting a consolation in the 2nd half.  That would have been my last away game in the top flight.  I remember the Boro home win gave us a strand of hope, but don't remember much at all about the Norwich game, although I was definitely there, as said before, probably tried to obliterate that particular memory.  I think we were something like 6th place in mid October 1979, and 3 years later we were rock bottom of the 4th Division.

On 26/04/2020 at 14:06, havanatopia said:

Another interesting fact about that season and coincidence with this current one was that we kicked off at home to Leeds, drawing 2-2. August 18th, 1979. This season was August 4th. 

And in eighth place in October 1979 but relegated in April.

Archived