IGNORED

Were you at the Bristol Derby in May 1990?

I recall it was a very warm evening, and I read a report in The Bath Chronicle about the aftermath of the game that my Dad (who lived in Bath and was a dyed in the wool Red) showed me the following Sunday when I popped round to visit. Imagine the scene..... a family living in the Twerton area were sat round the TV watching Miami Vice (or whatever), The front door was open as well as the french windows at the back to let some air through. Suddenly (apparently) a Gas Head was running up the street... with a couple of City fans in hot pursuit. Young Gas sought sanctuary and ran in through the front door....with a  couple of City fans still pursuing him. The three ran straight through the living room, out the French windows and up the back garden before hurdling the fences of the neighbours....I really shouldn't have found it funny....but I did. I was thinking it had the makings of an episode for a  (then) popular series of ads for Carling Black Label

17 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was friendly with a few of our players and whatever any City fan thinks of the Rovers squad at that time , it was full of the kind of players you wanted 'on your side'. To a man, they couldn't wait for the game and were convinced that they would out battle City on the night. I had to meet one of them outside the ground about an hour and a half before kick off, I was eating fish and chips and he grabbed a handful of chips and had a big bit of the fish,  when I questioned whether he should be eating that just before the biggest game of the season, he said he could wash it down with a couple of pints and he would still have a certain player in his pocket.

That may well seem a daft thing to say now, but I think he just showed that the players were absolutely brimming with confidence and were convinced City 'didn't like it up em'

Over half a lifetime ago for me, how times have changed.

You’re spot on there, I used to knock about with Boris ( Dave Mehew) and a couple of other Gas players. We were in town a few weeks before the game and Mark Gavin came over chatting. He was boasting about what we were going to do to them and how much money he was on. I had a bad feeling about the game straight away!

37 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

You’re spot on there, I used to knock about with Boris ( Dave Mehew) and a couple of other Gas players. We were in town a few weeks before the game and Mark Gavin came over chatting. He was boasting about what we were going to do to them and how much money he was on. I had a bad feeling about the game straight away!

My favourite part of the game was when Gavin tried to take out Vaughan and failed dismally :)

A few have already said how they'd like that game to be erased from their memory Banks. 

I must have. The highlights have revealed how much of that game I had forgotten- everything except the score. I had forgotten about the advertising hoarding incident, Joe Jordan becoming an ambassador for the UN, their penalty.

Bizarrely, I can remember what I did before and after. I renember the car journey to the game, where we parked but not what happened on the pitch!  

8 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

A few have already said how they'd like that game to be erased from their memory Banks. 

I must have. The highlights have revealed how much of that game I had forgotten- everything except the score. I had forgotten about the advertising hoarding incident, Joe Jordan becoming an ambassador for the UN, their penalty.

Bizarrely, I can remember what I did before and after. I renember the car journey to the game, where we parked but not what happened on the pitch!  

Same here, I can remember what a gorgeous day it was and a balmy evening for early May, I couldn't have told you the half time score though 

There was no way on Earth my parents would allow me over there (I was 15 then) - listened to it on the radio instead with a mate but switched off at 2-0 there was no comeback from there.  The result caused many a scuffle in school the next day (there suddenly appeared to be far more Rovers fans in Hengrove school than was previously thought, funny that)

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

My favourite part of the game was when Gavin tried to take out Vaughan and failed dismally :)

Gavin didn’t want to know it as soon as he walked out there, he just strutted about. That was my worst feeling as a City fan, thankfully we’ve had a lot better memories than your lot since?

2 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

I thought ( and found) Mark Gavin was an obnoxious c.....

15 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Agreed, never took to him at all. Quite happy when he left and surprised and a bit disappointed when he returned from Watford for his 2nd spell at AG.

I think it was just his on pitch demeanour, no idea what he was like off it.

30 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

He had a rollercoaster stay(s) at City. I can remember him being quite aloof, sulky and inconsistent when he arrived

That day at Birmingham January everything changed. He was playing like Messi, engaging with the crowd for the first time and was brilliant then up until Taylor got injured and certainly went missing in the derby.........but was good again against Walsall.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before; but the game had been postponed from a date earlier in the season.

Can't remember how 2015 had managed to get it postponed, but it did seem somewhat cynical. We were pretty much unbeatable when it was due to be played, and of course the free scoring Sir Bob Taylor was NOT injured at the time !

That awful pitch would not have been rock hard either had the game gone ahead when it should have.

21 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before; but the game had been postponed from a date earlier in the season.

Can't remember how 2015 had managed to get it postponed

They probably did what they usually do, notice an opposition team is playing brilliantly then tell the Groundsman to take a week off.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, never took to him at all. Quite happy when he left and surprised and a bit disappointed when he returned from Watford for his 2nd spell at AG.

I went to one of the supporters clubs Christmas do’s when he was a the club, ( don’t know how or why!!) he was a total ****, right up his own arse.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

He had a rollercoaster stay(s) at City. I can remember him being quite aloof, sulky and inconsistent when he arrived

That day at Birmingham January everything changed. He was playing like Messi, engaging with the crowd for the first time and was brilliant then up until Taylor got injured and certainly went missing in the derby.........but was good again against Walsall.

He was a good footballer, just a **** off the pitch!!

6 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

There was no way on Earth my parents would allow me over there (I was 15 then) - listened to it on the radio instead with a mate but switched off at 2-0 there was no comeback from there.  The result caused many a scuffle in school the next day (there suddenly appeared to be far more Rovers fans in Hengrove school than was previously thought, funny that)

Same here! I listened to it on the radio and switched off as soon as the second goal went in. But it was very apparent early on, even from just the radio commentary, that we weren’t up for it that day. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

You certainly did switch off at 2-0. Going by the highlights, you should definitely have caught that cross for the third goal

My mate twisted his ankle trying to hurry down the terrace to assist in the changing of the advertising hoarding for them...a job some of our fans were doing quite well on their own...

He couldn't walk and was in great pain so had to see the paramedics who sent him to the Royal for xrays ...the twot ?

But at least he didn't have to feel the pain we all felt at the final whistle..

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Among the Rovers players I knew, it's fair to say they didn't like Gavin off the pitch and were looking forward to teaching him a lesson on it.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Among the Rovers players I knew, it's fair to say they didn't like Gavin off the pitch and were looking forward to teaching him a lesson on it.

I think our two wingers, Gavin & Smith weren't the type you'd want in the trenches, great players on their day though 

Taking just 5 points out of a possible 15 in the last 5 games ultimately cost us, it's no coincidence 34 goalscorer Super Bob missed those 5 games, if I remember rightly we had far and away the highest average attendances that year which was hardly surprising considering the great football we played, in my top 3 of most enjoyable seasons ever

Archived