IGNORED

How Long --formation

potbelly

How long do you think we will stick with the new formation? (whatever it ends up as)

4-1-3-2, 5-2-3, 4-3-3.

If nothing else, i suppose it has kept us busy and i am sure that Tins must have nearly finished reading the "Haynes football management manual for beginners" by now.

We will start the season with either a diamond or a christmas tree(whatever) but wouldn`t it be nice to settle back into a good old fashioned 4-4-2.?

With the players we have on the books, 4-4-2 could easily win the league this year.

I hope that we don`t lose too many points early doors trying to be too clever.

Guest hairyshamrock

I'm thinking similar... although i'm up for a little experimenting for the first couple of games. The key would be for tins to try stuff but admit if it's not working and not take another 10-15 games to change it.

We've got the personel to play 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and a lot of other systems but wouldn't it be better if we played a 4-4-2 with players having a little license to improvise??!!

The alledged problem with 4-4-2 is its inflexibility which is why hardly any top teams use it.Two banks of four gives you more security at the back but less options going forward and BT,worried by last seasons lack of goals wants to try and improve the goals for talley.

Personally, I agree with 4-4-2 being too rigid and would much prefer to see a different system.That said,I'm not a convert of 4-3-3 either.Its too open on the flanks and vunerable to counter attacks.

My option would be 3-5-2.City have used it before under Ward and Wilson and its a flexible formation which can accomodate a player "in the hole" behind the front two without leaving the flanks exposed.

But we'll just have to wait at see waht formation BT goes on Saturday.

The alledged problem with 4-4-2 is its inflexibility which is why hardly any top teams use it.Two banks of four gives you more security at the back but less options going forward and BT,worried by last seasons lack of goals wants to try and improve the goals for talley.

Personally, I agree with 4-4-2 being too rigid and would much prefer to see a different system.That said,I'm not a convert of 4-3-3 either.Its too open on the flanks and vunerable to counter attacks.

My option would be 3-5-2.City have used it before under Ward and Wilson and its a flexible formation which can accomodate a player "in the hole" behind the front two without leaving the flanks exposed.

But we'll just have to wait at see waht formation BT goes on Saturday.

In a way I don't think the formation we play is too important. The main thing I want to see change is playing to our strengths and with some degree of flair. Too many times last year you felt the team was playing in a straightjacket because Danny had become so defensive - not just in style, but the general attitude they went out with. It came to a head in Cardiff where you didn't really recognise the team we had out on the pitch.

Archived