IGNORED

Crowd noise: on or off?

ChippenhamRed

Crowd noise: on or off?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've tried to enjoy the 'video game sounds' played into matches instead of 'anemic', soundless, practice match sounds, but it just doesn't work for me.

I will be listening to the radio commentary instead as they have already learnt how to fill in for the visual loss with more description and excitement.

The TV commentry just seems to be lazy and boring now, without the crowd response to play off of.

5 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Was really good in the german games, I had it on for all of them.

I put it on for the first 15 minutes in the Villa game & Arsenal game, had to turn it off in both though as it was done so poorly.

I'm assuming with practice the operators will get better at tailoring the crowd reaction noises to the actual game, well here's hoping anyway.

I always thought it would be just too cringeworthy and my natural instinct was that it would be just so wrong.  But the 1st time I watched a game with crowd noise was a Bundesliga game (I think Bayern Munich were involved) a couple of weeks ago, and must have been watching, and listening, for about 5 minutes before I clicked that an empty stadium was generating crowd noise.  The fact that it was not a generic wave of sound made me think it added something to watching the game made me warm to it.

I think that the German games have the crowd noise pumped into the stadium so that the players hear it anyway, whereas in the English games you, as a viewer, can clearly have a choice of listening with no noise, or noise provided by the TV channel (as on Sky Sports Main Event). 

I think it would be a great job to be a "crowd noise control operative", with licence to bring in a few of your own particular favourite chants to add a more ad-lib maverick type of feel to it!

12 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Was really good in the german games, I had it on for all of them.

I put it on for the first 15 minutes in the Villa game & Arsenal game, had to turn it off in both though as it was done so poorly.

The Germans doing something well, and England totally ballsing it up? Surely not.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm assuming with practice the operators will get better at tailoring the crowd reaction noises to the actual game, well here's hoping anyway.

think the problem is, in the german games it was someone in the ground doing them, unique to each game (as certain games they didn't have any crowd noises at all, and if they did then you didn't have the option to toggle it).

Whereas with Sky it's  probably someone in a studio 200 miles from the ground, overlaying noise with a half second delay from when it actually happens and when they see it.

25 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

think the problem is, in the german games it was someone in the ground doing them, unique to each game (as certain games they didn't have any crowd noises at all, and if they did then you didn't have the option to toggle it).

Whereas with Sky it's  probably someone in a studio 200 miles from the ground, overlaying noise with a half second delay from when it actually happens and when they see it.

Easy to solve the half a second crowd noise delay issue by simply delaying the video by half a second.

I've always thought that the crowd noise option was to drown out the players' cussing and blinding. A bit like the music you have in a public toilet to mask out the occasional trouser cough or elephant backfire that happens. No names...

I appreciate that it does add an important ingredient for some but it sounds so plastic to me. But then, I often trot along to a Toolstation game and the atmosphere is proper grass roots stuff. It's called reality.

4 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I've always thought that the crowd noise option was to drown out the players' cussing and blinding. A bit like the music you have in a public toilet to mask out the occasional trouser cough or elephant backfire that happens. No names...

I appreciate that it does add an important ingredient for some but it sounds so plastic to me. But then, I often trot along to a Toolstation game and the atmosphere is proper grass roots stuff. It's called reality.

You must have been to some interesting public toilets. I don't think I've ever been in one that has music or even muzak playing. 

It’s fake pure and simple.

When people go and watch Western League/County league games, do they need artificial crowd noise to enjoy the game then..... no.

I hate it, and it sums up modern 2020 football to me, sanitised rubbish, football is a live sport, not a tv programme that tv companies should be playing about with. No crowd is no crowd, deal with it.

The tv companies already turn down the sound when certain chants are sang during games, I can imagine they will now be working on 10,000 crowds making the noise of 50,000, they already add in crowd noise on the Football league Quest highlights, so don’t rule it out.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s fake pure and simple.

When people go and watch Western League/County league games, do they need artificial crowd noise to enjoy the game then..... no.

I hate it, and it sums up modern 2020 football to me, sanitised rubbish, football is a live sport, not a tv programme that tv companies should be playing about with. No crowd is no crowd, deal with it.

The tv companies already turn down the sound when certain chants are sang during games, I can imagine they will now be working on 10,000 crowds making the noise of 50,000, they already add in crowd noise on the Football league Quest highlights, so don’t rule it out.

This is a bit of an odd rant given that Sky are literally letting you choose between having a crowd and not - and 60% of the poll have said they prefer it on.

What’s the harm in providing it for those who consider it an enhancement, while also providing the honest sound for those that don’t?

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Didn’t watch the stream today - was there a crowd noise option?

There was some light background crowd noise coming out of the Blackburn PA so no option to turn it off (without going on mute completely).  Didn’t really interfere with the lack of entertainment though! 

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You must have been to some interesting public toilets. I don't think I've ever been in one that has music or even muzak playing. 

Don't they have music in toilets, then? Blimey, I must have left a bum cigar in very posh lift.

46 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is a bit of an odd rant given that Sky are literally letting you choose between having a crowd and not - and 60% of the poll have said they prefer it on.

What’s the harm in providing it for those who consider it an enhancement, while also providing the honest sound for those that don’t?

Not really. BT only offered it today on their non HD red button for Virgin customers and can’t see any options to drown it out on BBC either that keeps the HD option.  Fair enough if there is the option but when there isn’t it’s annoying if you don’t want it.  

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not just the Premier League, it’s the Spanish league and Australian NRL, they are all doing it. 

Yes it was a bit of a rant!!, it’s because I just don’t understand how anyone ‘needs’ fake crowd noise to watch a football match, I just can’t comprehend what sort of football fan needs it. There is NO crowd ?

Archived