IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Afobe on the left wing hasn't actually been bad.

He's been used as a wide target man, and done a good job at holding the ball up.

Once he releases it he immediately moves more central.

Whilst you are fawning over a “wide target man” doing a good job holding the ball up  it’s worth noting we have created one chance from a set piece in 45 minutes. That’s literally it and I don’t care if we had Pep in charge, that just isn’t good enough.

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

You must be watching a different game mate . Shocking decision to have him playing there 

What I'm saying is it is clearly being done to target Sheffield Wednesday's right hand side.

The bigger issue with it is that there is rarely anyone close enough to him for him to lay it off effectively.

Their CBs are decent in the air, so playing the balls to Afobe in a wider position avoids them and can be used to force them to get dragged out of position, as Afobe has the beating of their right sided defender in the air every time.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Too many aimless long balls from defenders and baffled by Afobe on the wing. Afobe looking good but surely better up front. Get O’Dowda off, bring on Eliasson - move to 4-4-2 with Afobe up front.

If that’s not working, take off Weimann and get Palmer on. Somethings got to change though.

Manager?

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Whilst you are fawning over a “wide target man” doing a good job holding the ball up  it’s worth noting we have created one chance from a set piece in 45 minutes. That’s literally it and I don’t care if we had Pep in charge, that just isn’t good enough.

A wide target man can work with Diedhiou, but Afobe is an excellent goal scorer and should bring the best out of Wells. Not the game to try it. Just play our forwards (who I feel are good at this level) to their strengths.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

The goal aside (and the last minute) we’ve defended very well and not let them attack us at all. 
Afobe has been excellent. Just in the wrong areas. 
But, we’ve created absolutely nothing. 

Afobe, Wells and Weimann started quite close to each other, but as the half drifted on, they got further apart.

Start narrow, in touch with each other, bend runs in to out.

A header early on, and that’s it. Regardless of the score today it’s clear LJ does not have a system in his mind he wants to play or know his best players to fit that system. He is flailing around making loads of changes just hoping something just clicks...which it’s not. Players are trying but it’s difficult trying to build new partnerships every week.

We are in relegation form at the moment, and teams on paper with decent squads have struggled in the past when it all falls apart. Really worried about next season with no change at the top frankly. Nothing against LJ, sometimes you just need a change.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I wasnt fawning over it.

I was suggesting it wasnt as bad as being made out and explained some reasoning behind it.

You are literally proving my point about the toxic fanbase though, so well done. I'll make sure I agree with everything you say in future if you have to insult any dissenting opinion. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A wide target man can work with Diedhiou, but Afobe is an excellent goal scorer and should bring the best out of Wells. Not the game to try it. Just play our forwards (who I feel are good at this level) to their strengths.

Interesting. So we should put square pegs in the square holes?

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Looks to me to be Liverpool kind of 433 with Wells being false 9 making it like a 41212 diamond. 

I've seen Weimann, Massengo and Afobe line up as a three behind Wells, which would then make it a peculiar 4-2-3-1.

Archived