IGNORED

Mark Van Bommel

Wolf Island

37 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

What evidence is there that he's a great motivator winning a few games in the Dutch league at one of the big three clubs is not an amazing feat he's done nothing , Mark Robbins at Coventry would be the choice knows the league and got the best out of the best player currently on Citys books but would he leave Coventry for Bristol City though at this time.

Need to get you on the interview panel! Forensic.

Robins just feels like Groundhog Day , Johnson/McInnes all over again. No more cheap up and coming punts please. 

22 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Tbf, he did fantastic last season (18-19); the issue he had this season is that PSV lacked depth having sold the likes of Lozano, Bergwijn, De Jong, and Angelino for a combined £70-80m. It was alway's going to be transitional and they've done no better since he left despite signing the likes of Ricardo Rodriguez on loan to fill in the vacant role Angelino left. Bergwijn had a fantastic season under Van Bommel, he also promoted other youth players who are now garnering firm interest in the forms of Donyell Mallen and Cody Gapko.

I'd much prefer him, based on his record, compared to LJ. His predecessor, is current Derby manager Cocu for comparison who considering their FFP situation has done a good job insofar since they lost Lampard and the Chelsea loanees in terms of steadying the ship.

Your first paragraph could easily describe LJ. Lost best players for good money and then struggled to hit the same mark. 

Your 2nd paragraph forgets the fact that Derby were awful until Rooney arrived. They are the embodiment of a one man team. Without Rooney they’d be bottom 6. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Your first paragraph could easily describe LJ. Lost best players for good money and then struggled to hit the same mark. 

Your 2nd paragraph forgets the fact that Derby were awful until Rooney arrived. They are the embodiment of a one man team. Without Rooney they’d be bottom 6. 

It can't all be Rooney surely though or can it. Squad looked deep and strong enough to kick on, was surely underachieving significantly.

Their run with Rooney has been outstanding though. Cocu is a decent manager in any case.

Those Chelsea loanees yet another example of just how nepotistic football can be.

Harry Redknapp helped steer Mel Morris (apparently) towards him, Morris and Lampard benefited significantly from Tomori and Mount. That in turn helped give him a better crack at Chelsea job. Laughable.

Hooe they get absolutely rinsed by FFP. Rooney and Derby in the third tier would be most amusing. Mel Morris too.

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interested in the reservations @phantom has about say Jokanovic given a) 2 promotions b)  A playoff season. Style of football also.

How many seasons is a minimal requirement? ?

A massive exception to the norm.....even LJ may fluke success somewhere someday 

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In general yes it's hard to judge Dutch managers in winning with the big 3.

Development of players,  perhaps to sell, and European runs or otherwise can be useful indicators however 

I hate to use a well worn phrase but I just feel we have to go back to basics 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

I don't get this point- what's a massive exception to the norm, two promotions and a playoff?

Foreign managers getting promoted or doing well at this level?

Fair chance two foreign managers will go up this season. Possibly three but possibly two- don't think experience at this level is a deal-breaker at all and Jokanovic and LJ absolutely don't seem comparable (to me anyway). Just checked, 5/9 of the last managers to take their sides to promotion were foreign. No I don't think it's a deal-breaker either but I think the experience thing can be overrated.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Correction, they got off to a slow start, and were bouyed by the Rooney signing, who wouldnt be? Now the size of that impact - only Cocu will know the extent.

My understanding is that this was always going to be a tough season for them; as losing the likes of Mount, Wilson, and Timori, on top of many seasoned campeigners being shipped off, the loss of Vydra the previous year.

Reviewing their season so far, FFP and the Keogh/Bennett situation, and the poor start is understandable, but in-spite of that, he's attempting to intergrate the likes of Jayden Bogle, Josh Knight, Morgan Whittaker, Louis Sibley, and Max Bird, into the first team while costcutting - no easy feet, all the while attempting to stamp his own style; and from a non-Derby perspective, I can only applaud the job he's done firefighting that situation.

Yet despite all of that, they'll finish above us. The 'stable' club.

In respect to being a one-man team (Rooney), how are we not with Eliasson? 16 Goals via assists or scoring himself is incredible (13, 3) ; especially when the only person coming close to him is Diedhiou (11 - 1, 10, respectively).

For context, below is every game (highlighted) where Eliasson, by virtue of assist or scoring himself, has single handedly won us points to an extent;

It equates to - 3 draws, 7 win. 24 points. Let's argue we could possibly recoup 2/3rds of those points had Eliasson not been playing (16)

17th; 47 Points, 5 Points above the relegation zone.

In other words, roughly the same as Derby, pre Rooney.

image.png

10 hours ago, David Brent said:

Definitely. But I keep reading Van Bommel on here without anything to really back up the suggestion. 

OTIB needs to get more ambitious with it’s suggestions.

Is Ronaldinho still in jail? Maybe SL can pay his bail money and he could manage us?

There’s my suggestion anyway! 

6 hours ago, marcofisher said:

OTIB needs to get more ambitious with it’s suggestions.

Is Ronaldinho still in jail? Maybe SL can pay his bail money and he could manage us?

There’s my suggestion anyway! 

Now you’re being ridiculous, why have Ronaldinho when we could have Maradona ? 

Now that would raise our profile a bit . 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Now you’re being ridiculous, why have Ronaldinho when we could have Maradona ? 

Now that would raise our profile a bit . 

To be fair, if you watch the Maradona in Mexico series on Netflix you'll see that as much as he's a ridiculous character, he inspires success as a coach. Spoiler alert: he gets a team of no hopers close to promotion twice.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I'd say LJ, longball and no plan B is about as basic as you can get.

I would love to see Jokanovic here, as he’s got a good record, plays some great football and I think he could do great things with our squad. Main concerns for me is Fulham always had a fragile defence under him and as we all know, that’s one of our difficulties already.  Would he be the man to sort that issue and also, could we afford him?

MVB sounds an interesting one, though he doesn’t have Jokanovic’s track record.  If he’s after a project with potential, could we interest him, or is he setting his sights far higher?  He sounds like he’d instill some grit and steel into our frankly limp mentality on the field and he would bring a wealth of experience of playing under great coaches.    Head says he’d be way too much of a blind punt for SL, even if he was interested in us.

Got a horrible feeling that the best we can hope for is Mark Robbins though. Got history with City, got a better management record than LJ and we know SL is an admirer of his and he would surely be seen by SL as a much safer bet.  Has the feeling of a Lee Johnson Mk2 about him really, so really depends if SL want’s to ‘go again’ in roughly the same, safer vein, or be more adventurous. 

Obviously Coventry are a bit of a mess, but still a club with a better history than us. Haven’t got a clue how much they will be investing in the team after promotion, but if he has money to spend there, would MR see a move to us an attractive one, or would he prefer to stay put and work with what he already has?

All academic at the moment, as it’s far from certain that SL is ready to call time on LJ yet.

Archived