IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Is anyone surprised? 

If we REALLY wanted him, and was convinced he was our man, I'm fairly sure we could have had him in place 2 weeks ago, before any other clubs even entered the mix. 

19 minutes ago, Cardy said:

To be fair to Hughton he is probably thinking - “hmmmm 3 months work at Watford for a 3 year contract - not a bad gig as I head towards retirement“.

If they aren’t top at Xmas he will he sacked but everyone will just see it as Watford being mercenaries again so his reputation will still be in tact.

Quite so. 

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Or is it just fantasy.....

Well, clearly, if there was a vote for a new gaffer Hughton would win by a landslide but there is simply no escaping reality; we are also rans compared to parachute watford.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just a quick thought. How do any of us really know that Hughton’s interest is any more genuine than Gerrard’s? Granted, he’s out of work and it makes sense, but who first claimed he was interested? 

Sky Sports first claimed he was interested a few weeks back. No one got particularly excited about Hughton before that point if I recall correctly but it was a name many wanted.

3 hours ago, Lez said:

You get their information wrong on hughton and now you get information wrong on me there is a common theme here.

Surprised you could be arsed to draw a comparison to be honest. You’re not one to talk about common themes, Lezzer.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

He said he didn't think so...

Not that I believe he has a scooby about it anyway.

But if there was a short list of 3 last week, why did we interview hughton on Friday,

Also said about managers who are in a job,

Confusing  

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

But if there was a short list of 3 last week, why did we interview hughton on Friday,

Also said about managers who are in a job,

Confusing  

Agree, the Hughton interview on Friday doesn’t fit if he was “not on the shortlist” last week.

If he’d interviewed and it had gone badly, I’d guess some leak would come out to lessen the enthusiasm.

I’d suspect the final three are Neil, Lowe and Hughton. I’d be happy with any of those, in the order of Hughton, Neil and Lowe.

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Agree, the Hughton interview on Friday doesn’t fit if he was “not on the shortlist” last week.

If he’d interviewed and it had gone badly, I’d guess some leak would come out to lessen the enthusiasm.

I’d suspect the final three are Neil, Lowe and Hughton. I’d be happy with any of those, in the order of Hughton, Neil and Lowe.

Its frustrating that's for sure,

But we just have to wait and see, whoever it is will get my support no matter how underwhelmed I'll be,

Just now, RedEyez said:

Here ya go 

94AA851D-1DE0-4D49-9681-2FEFF111623E.jpeg

yea but he said the shortlist of 3 was last week,

And we know hughton was interviewed on Friday, I wouldnt trust that tweet, and nihon doesn't have the best of track records with us,

We'll just have to wait and see

8 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Are we likely to be chasing Neil if, according to GMcG and others, there is a £3m release clause in his contract? Can't see that is good value compared to other options. 

This saga has all the hallmarks of employing someone completely off the radar.

Absolutely no clues from anywhere, just gossip and rumour doing the rounds among journos.

Or maybe its just a complete **** up :shocking:

3 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Here ya go 

94AA851D-1DE0-4D49-9681-2FEFF111623E.jpeg

Someone posted that earlier - he knows jack shite about City.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And we know hughton was interviewed on Friday, I wouldnt trust that tweet, and nihon doesn't have the best of track records with us,

Do we? 

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How do we “know” that? It’s a rumour, just like all the other rumours.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know... the more this goes on, the more I’d probably do an air punch if we appoint Paul Cook. 

Isn't there something a bit depressing about that?! 

Originally I wanted either Hughton or some exotic overseas master of gegenpress. Gerrard sounded risky but at least it was exciting.

But now...I feel like Alex Neil would be a huge relief. Ughh.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Isn't there something a bit depressing about that?! 

Originally I wanted either Hughton or some exotic overseas master of gegenpress. Gerrard sounded risky but at least it was exciting.

But now...I feel like Alex Neil would be a huge relief. Ughh.

Neil warnock would be a relief now!!

26 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

North west is his patch I believe. 

Correct. He knows several agents and managers based in the NW (note - based in, not necessarily employed in) very well and there will be certain deals and moves that he will genuinely be very clued up on. Anything outside of that scope and he probably knows about as much as most of us on here.

That's not to say he doesn't get stuff right, but he shouldn't be treated as some sort of oracle.

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know... the more this goes on, the more I’d probably do an air punch if we appoint Paul Cook. 

It was all a devious plan, sack the manager, pretend to struggle to recruit a replacement and then reappoint LJ on a lifetime contact.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Correct. He knows several agents and managers based in the NW (note - based in, not necessarily employed in) very well and there will be certain deals and moves that he will genuinely be very clued up on. Anything outside of that scope and he probably knows about as much as most of us on here.

That's not to say he doesn't get stuff right, but he shouldn't be treated as some sort of oracle.

Probably why he blocked me for asking . If he puts names out on behalf of agents .

59 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I wanted to laugh and like the post. Take a robin instead. 

Paul Cook probably top of my list if you take out the “best/biggest” names like Hughton, Jokanovic and Gerrard. So yea if we go through all this time and don’t get one of the big names we could do worse than Cook

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

He was not the right person for the job at the time, nobody on here had one thought that he would be our next manager at the time that Cotterill was sacked. We had 2-3 weeks ( like now) of name after name being put forward, his name wasn  on the lips of any City fan. His record was underwhelming to say the least, Barnsley and Oldham fans laughed at us for employing him. 

SL wanted someone who looked up to him, and LJ turned out to be that person. It’s comical in some respects. 

I’m not knocking SL for what he has done for this club, but his own choice of managers are not something he has done very well. Even when LJ was clearly struggling he gave him a new 4 year contract, the mind boggles.

I'll get me coat

9 hours ago, DC10 said:

This isn’t meant as a negative post towards CH but can anyone enlighten me as to what makes him the ideal candidate?? 

Is it just his two promotions with Newcastle and Brighton? 

CH hasn’t got experience in doing this! He took a Newcastle side up that Kevin Keegan built, admittedly he got them playing the way they did that season but he didn’t build the team. Similarly he did the same with Brighton, a lot of the players that are still at the club playing in the Premier League were already at the club when he arrived, he did bring in Sidwell and Murray who were great for them but he also spent millions on players who barely played for Brighton and were let go a loss. 

He may be the answer to City’s prayers but I’m not fully convinced he’s the right man, although if he is announced as head coach I would loved to be proven wrong! 

Not just his two promotions - how about when CH took Norwich to an 11th place finish in the premier league in his first season at Carrow Road? And it’s very harsh to say Hughton took Newcastle United into the premier league with Keegan’s team. Firstly Hughton was first team coach for a while at Newcastle under Keegan before Keegan left Newcastle in September 2008. So he probably had more influence than you think.

But Hughton wasn’t appointed as Newcastle’s permanent manager until November 2009 (over a year after Keegan left) after being caretaker for the first few months of the 2009/10 season. Furthermore Hughton brought in eleven new players at the start of that season and Newcastle’s promotion was confirmed on 5 April 2010 (a record) and they were crowned champions of the championship in mid-April 2010 - it wasn’t Keegan’s team.

A new manager needs to be appointed in the next week or so, how ch hasnt been apointed yet baffles me, theres only 6 weeks or so till the new season, thats not alot of time to set up a project, at this rate next season will just be another wasted year transitioning players and systems.

3 minutes ago, Lez said:

@Kid in the Riot has said this was going to happen any day 2 weeks ago....all the forum go mad on delight. Turns out he was full of shit just another chancer.

Flattery will get you everywhere sir. 
And Kid is a very handsome chap too. 
Don’t blow your chances Lez, sorry, Simon. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Flattery will get you everywhere sir. 
And Kid is a very handsome chap too. 
Don’t blow your chances Lez, sorry, Simon. 

Wheres Hughton. Signing on the dotted line according to mr "in the know" hasnt happened has it.

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

@Kid in the Riot has said this was going to happen any day 2 weeks ago....all the forum go mad on delight. Turns out he was full of shit just another chancer.

What’s happened to that Spanish chap you said had been interviewed. 
I mean, that was...like....about 4 days ago. Did this happen or were you a full of shit chancer! 

Just now, Harry said:

What’s happened to that Spanish chap you said had been interviewed. 
I mean, that was...like....about 4 days ago. Did this happen or were you a full of shit chancer! 

I said that he had been interviewed....maybe he has do you know otherwise? That chancer said Hughton was signing on the dotted line 2 weeks ago cough cough do you know otherwise? Yes you do!!!

1 minute ago, Henry said:

You make me miss @Up the City 

That's Simon.

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

I said that he had been interviewed....maybe he has do you know otherwise? That chancer said Hughton was signing on the dotted line 2 weeks ago cough cough do you know otherwise? Yes you do!!!

That's Simon.

So has he been interviewed? This Spaniard? Or are you a chancer? 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

So has he been interviewed? This Spaniard? Or are you a chancer? 

So I been told but going to Brazil now I think tbc must have been too slow...btw @Harry have we signed up hughton yet as was told this would happen 2 weeks ago. Is and ts and all that by the "ITKs"....

I’ve been told there could be an announcement this week, I know that’s pretty vague but I’m aware of discussions about how the appointment is to be announced (eg on the roof) have happened. Not very juicy sorry, but I will try to find out more once known. I asked if Hughton, but they don’t know..... yet.

I guess what im trying to say is there may be closure on this soon

7 minutes ago, Lez said:

He can't answer it

He won't (and doesn't) get everything right, but he's generally in credit with most people on here I'd think.

Either way, it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day. The speculation, and some "ITK" posts just add to that whether they come off or not. It's not the end of the world, and as an "academic" I'd have thought you could tell apart the jokers who are on a wind up, and those who are actually sharing what they've heard - even if they turn out to be wrong.

Just now, barrington said:

I’ve been told there could be an announcement this week, I know that’s pretty vague but I’m aware of discussions about how the appointment is to be announced (eg on the roof) have happened. Not very juicy sorry, but I will try to find out more once known. I asked if Hughton, but they don’t know..... yet.

Let's hope so unfortunately @Kid in the Riot got people excited not just because he said any day now but also all the lead up.....he hasnt just made up the actual signing of hughton but all the lead up to. Shocking. 

Just now, IAmNick said:

He won't (and doesn't) get everything right, but he's generally in credit with most people on here I'd think.

Either way, it's just a bit of fun on here at the end of the day. The speculation, and some "ITK" posts just add to that whether they come off or not. It's not the end of the world, and as an "academic" I'd have thought you could tell apart the jokers who are on a wind up, and those who are actually sharing what they've heard - even if they turn out to be wrong.

No academic can answer that unless they are in the know themselves and I know 2 bits of information from an agent in my life that's it.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

No academic can answer that unless they are in the know themselves and I know 2 bits of information from an agent in my life that's it.

It's generally not too tricky to tell apart people just sharing something in good faith, and people having a complete guess hoping to get right or just taking the piss. I'm sure using the excellent social skills you've been demonstrating recently you can make that distinction.

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Regina Hall Popcorn GIF

That looks like my Mrs

Just now, IAmNick said:

It's generally not too tricky to tell apart people just sharing something in good faith, and people having a complete guess hoping to get right or just taking the piss. I'm sure using the excellent social skills you've been demonstrating recently you can make that distinction.

Well clearly @Kid in the Riot has mugged off a lot of people the charlatan.

12 minutes ago, Nugget said:

I’ve been told **** all, but I think there will be an appointment by the end of this week, too.

Not because I know anything but because it is highly likely, based on how long it has been since LJ was sacked & we have out of contract players’ futures to resolve.

Can anyone play this pointless game?

Archived