IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Perhaps they did and the children ignored them?

What those who say "they could have leaked things via Gregor so people knew it might be Hughton" ignore is that.

1) Gregor MacGregor told everyone Gerrard, not Hughton was the favourite.

2) When some of the national press described Hughton as a done deal, MacGregor made clear no deal had been agreed. 

3) MacGregor has told the fans the club have a number of candidates they are choosing from and it won't just be Hughton.

4) MacGregor floated the idea that Cook, Neil and Holden were all in the fix, suggesting it might not be Hugthon.

It strikes me that REPEATEDLY during the last four weeks, MacGregor has reported in information he has been given suggesting Hughton will not be the manager. So perhaps the club were leaking via MacGregor the whole time to manage expectations and supporters have simply refused to allow their expectations to be managed?

Fair comment, hadn’t thought of that. You may well be right. 

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

You are doing it AGAIN. Why does everything have to get nasty?  Seriously?

i have my opinion, you have yours. Why go straight to insults?

you haven’t hurt my feelings, I am not precious, I just cannot understand why you think it is OK to immediately get salty - why?

I don't believe that I've insulted you, have I..? 

You were critising the clubs management of expectations. 

I was suggesting that they aren't responsible for creating those expectations, so why should they feel the need to manage them..? 

If my car packs up later today, I won't expect to replace it with a Bentley, just because there's a Bentley for sale up at Cribs. I'll have to get something that's within my budget. But I'll be sure to make that clear to the few people that I give lifts too, so they don't get to excited about cruising around in the Bentley, that I've never told them that I'm going to get...! 

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Why should the club communicate to us what’s going on? Doesn’t happen at any other club when they’re in the process of appointing a new manager so what makes us any different?

Nothing makes us different and the club have no obligation to tell us ‘what is going on’. My point was that, given the groundswell for Hughton, the club could have done more to manage expectations if it is not going to be him. @LondonBristolianmakes a good point that maybe they HAVE been doing just that but it was (evidently) too subtle for me. 

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Nothing makes us different and the club have no obligation to tell us ‘what is going on’. My point was that, given the groundswell for Hughton, the club could have done more to manage expectations if it is not going to be him. @LondonBristolianmakes a good point that maybe they HAVE been doing just that but it was (evidently) too subtle for me. 

What do you want them to do to ‘manage expectations’? Don’t quite understand how they do that or why they need to, especially at this stage where nothing is certain

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

But I'll be sure to make that clear to the few people that I give lifts too, so they don't get to excited about cruising around in the Bentley, that I've never told them that I'm going to get...! 

On Christmas morning, when the kids find second hand roller skates in their stocking rather than  brand new mountain bikes in the boot of their dad's new Bentley, they're going to be even more pissed off. Is that about right?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't believe that I've insulted you, have I..? 

You were critising the clubs management of expectations. 

I was suggesting that they aren't responsible for creating those expectations, so why should they feel the need to manage them..? 

If my car packs up later today, I won't expect to replace it with a Bentley, just because there's a Bentley for sale up at Cribs. I'll have to get something that's within my budget. But I'll be sure to make that clear to the few people that I give lifts too, so they don't get to excited about cruising around in the Bentley, that I've never told them that I'm going to get...! 

I was saying IF it isn’t Hughton, there will be a big chunk of supporters disappointed and it would have been a good idea to manage that. If you can see that you are likely going to disappoint customers, why wouldn't You try to mitigate that?  

And, whether or not any of us insults someone else it not our call. I don’t subscribe to the snowflake culture and if you DID insult me, so what!  That was my decision, not yours. My comments are that so many posts on here get attacked, we seem to have lost the art of saying “I disagree with you”. But FWIW,  I think “spoilt entitled brats”, “precious” etc aren’t especially helpful ways of debating. That is my position. I am not offended because, 

I think there is far too much of that sort of thing nowadays. If I was offended that is my problem, not yours. Just wish everything didn’t immediately get nasty, there is no need. 

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Perhaps they did and the children ignored them?

What those who say "they could have leaked things via Gregor so people knew it might be Hughton" ignore is that.

1) Gregor MacGregor told everyone Gerrard, not Hughton was the favourite.

2) When some of the national press described Hughton as a done deal, MacGregor made clear no deal had been agreed. 

3) MacGregor has told the fans the club have a number of candidates they are choosing from and it won't just be Hughton.

4) MacGregor floated the idea that Cook, Neil and Holden were all in the fix, suggesting it might not be Hugthon.

It strikes me that REPEATEDLY during the last four weeks, MacGregor has reported in information he has been given suggesting Hughton will not be the manager. So perhaps the club were leaking via MacGregor the whole time to manage expectations and supporters have simply refused to allow their expectations to be managed?

Yes yes, but apart from that kind of managing expectations, what have they done to appease those who want Hughton, think it should be Hughton and will slag the club off for not getting Hughton (IF we don't get Hughton!) 

These people saw a couple of random reports from various unconnected source, on the usually reliable platform of social media, and its the clubs' fault that this has led to the rather awkward stains in the front of their Y-fronts and now I think the club should foot the laundry bill for rectifying these. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

I was saying IF it isn’t Hughton, there will be a big chunk of supporters disappointed and it would have been a good idea to manage that. If you can see that you are likely going to disappoint customers, why wouldn't You try to mitigate that?  

And, whether or not any of us insults someone else it not our call. I don’t subscribe to the snowflake culture and if you DID insult me, so what!  That was my decision, not yours. My comments are that so many posts on here get attacked, we seem to have lost the art of saying “I disagree with you”. But FWIW,  I think “spoilt entitled brats”, “precious” etc aren’t especially helpful ways of debating. That is my position. I am not offended because, 

I think there is far too much of that sort of thing nowadays. If I was offended that is my problem, not yours. Just wish everything didn’t immediately get nasty, there is no need. 

The managing expectations point is an interesting one. Suppose we've been trying for Hughton as number 1, and then Bournemouth swoop in and get him so we go for Cook. Is it then appropriate to manage fan expectation? Cook is lower profile than Hughton, but a successful manager in his own right. He might be a bit put out if we released a video or some sort of statement implying he was our second choice. The club also has to manage the professional pride/ego of other candidates.

The only time I think this would be a bit different is if we appointed someone like Holden. Even Holden himself would know he wasn't first choice and there'd be genuine outrage if he got the nod considering the names we've been looking at. 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

What do you want them to do to ‘manage expectations’? Don’t quite understand how they do that or why they need to, especially at this stage where nothing is certain

Stories emerged that Hughton had ‘agreed’ to take over and national outlets reported it as a fair accompli two weeks ago. When I was working in those situations (which happened three times so far in my career), we did some media to correct the imbalance. Maybe City have and .i missed it, but if I did, 

I don’t think 

I’m alone. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

People want them to 'manage expectations' as you put it as the constant line from the club is that we want to be in the Premier League, yet so often the club has completely amateur hours like this.

I appreciate you're probably about 18 years old (have gathered that from reading your posts over the last few weeks) so your season ticket isn't worth much but for those of us who spend a large chunk of our disposable income on our season tickets I think it's fair for people to be desperate for an update of manager over a month after sacking the last one that few people liked either.

Just now, Southport Red said:

Stories emerged that Hughton had ‘agreed’ to take over and national outlets reported it as a fair accompli two weeks ago. When I was working in those situations (which happened three times so far in my career), we did some media to correct the imbalance. Maybe City have and .i missed it, but if I did, 

I don’t think 

I’m alone. 

They did report that, but the media report all sorts of things based off of sources that may not always be true. So I don’t quite understand why the club should ‘manage expectations’ based off of a story that may or may not be true? 

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Again, I don't think I was being nasty... 

But I also don't think that the club need to worry about disappointing people, if they genuinely appoint the person they feel is best for the job, having done what you'd hope is a rigorous selection process. 

Why would they deem the RIGHT appointment to be one that needs apologising for, or even managing...?

Whether it's Hughton, Cook, or Holden - why would they expect disappointment, if they belive its the best choice..? 

Just now, JBFC II said:

They did report that, but the media report all sorts of things based off of sources that may not always be true. So I don’t quite understand why the club should ‘manage expectations’ based off of a story that may or may not be true? 

That is one of the primary functions of a Public Relations department. Journos write all kinds of stuff about companies up and down the country and the PR departments deal with it. 

1 minute ago, JollyestOli said:

People want them to 'manage expectations' as you put it as the constant line from the club is that we want to be in the Premier League, yet so often the club has completely amateur hours like this.

I appreciate you're probably about 18 years old (have gathered that from reading your posts over the last few weeks) so your season ticket isn't worth much but for those of us who spend a large chunk of our disposable income on our season tickets I think it's fair for people to be desperate for an update of manager over a month after sacking the last one that few people liked either.

What update do you want ? An itinerary of who’ve they’ve they interviewed on what days? 

Bristol City Football Club is a business and will employ who they feel is the most appropriate candidate. Tesco’s don’t ask their customers for views on their next CEO because they have a club card 

That is one of the primary functions of a Public Relations department. Journos write all kinds of stuff about companies up and down the country and the PR departments deal with it. 

Thinking about it, we've definitely managed fan expectation when it's come to transfers in the past. I remember in 13/14 when we were relegated, there was plenty of messaging about austerity and needing to sell. This came from club officials and SO'D'.

Ashton, with his statement about the candidates, also raised fan expectation talking about the amount of applications and calibre of applicants a few weeks back.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Again, I don't think I was being nasty... 

But I also don't think that the club need to worry about disappointing people, if they genuinely appoint the person they feel is best for the job, having done what you'd hope is a rigorous selection process. 

Why would they deem the RIGHT appointment to be one that needs apologising for, or even managing...?

Whether it's Hughton, Cook, or Holden - why would they expect disappointment, if they belive its the best choice..? 

Good point. However,  we know whoever it is, there will be some fans who will need ‘selling’. They MAY decide Holden is the best man for the job. They are far closer to it than me, so I would have to assume they had made what they genuinely believe us the best call for the club. It would need some rather deft media management though. 

8 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

What’s amateur about this situation? The club are choosing the next manager, which is perhaps taking longer than we expected, and will announce something, you’d presume, in the next few days. That’s not amateur in the slightest, that’s just how things work in football. Any ‘update’ would just tell us what we know already, that the club are working towards appointing a new manager, so that would be pointless. 

Sorry to say I’m not 18, and haven’t been for a fair while. Although what that has to do with this I’ve got no idea. We’re all paying customers of the club, and have all put lots of time and money into supporting the club over the years. That doesn’t mean we’re entitled to something that doesn’t happen at any other club when they’re appointing a new manager. No point throwing your toys out of the pram over something you can’t control 

Good point. However,  we know whoever it is, there will be some fans who will need ‘selling’. They MAY decide Holden is the best man for the job. They are far closer to it than me, so I would have to assume they had made what they genuinely believe us the best call for the club. It would need some rather deft media management though. 

Yes, for some, that are behaving like spoit, entitled brats...! ?

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

When have you ever seen the club responding to media speculation? It happens incredibly rarely and there’s little point doing it now I’d say, considering where we’re at in the process of appointing a new manager

2 minutes ago, daored said:

What update do you want ? An itinerary of who’ve they’ve they interviewed on what days? 

Bristol City Football Club is a business and will employ who they feel is the most appropriate candidate. Tesco’s don’t ask their customers for views on their next CEO because they have a club card 

Tell us why on earth there seems to be no actual plan as to who we want and why other clubs have sacked managers after LJ yet have appointed a manager sooner than us? It's a shambles this process, pre-season starts in a week and we don't even have a manager let alone any new players.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Thinking about it, we've definitely managed fan expectation when it's come to transfers in the past. I remember in 13/14 when we were relegated, there was plenty of messaging about austerity and needing to sell. This came from club officials and SO'D'.

Ashton, with his statement about the candidates, also raised fan expectation talking about the amount of applications and calibre of applicants a few weeks back.

This is what puzzles me too Phileas. The club are usually so good at this sort of thing. Just find it curious why not this time. . At the start, Ashton did fan the flames a bit, but gone very quiet since. Just curious as to why. 

Just now, JollyestOli said:

Tell us why on earth there seems to be no actual plan as to who we want and why other clubs have sacked managers after LJ yet have appointed a manager sooner than us? It's a shambles this process, pre-season starts in a week and we don't even have a manager let alone any new players.

Who said we have no plan ? I agree the process appears to be slow but simply we don’t know. Delay may be due to contractual issues , payment , bonuses. As long as we get the right person , Hughton , Cook or another surely that is most important?

4 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Well I'm 31 and have the same opinion so you can't try that 'I pay more than you so in turn have more value to my opinion rubbish' you do understand our season ticket money is a piss in the ocean in respect of what is subsidized already by SL each year?

I believe we do have genuine aspirations of getting to the Premier League but in the a similar way that Brentford or Sheffield United have approached it not just doing an Aston Villa and throwing all our money at it and risking abject failure, FFP deductions and the club in general.

Doesn't mean the club isn't ambitious, most clubs are ambitious but are all working out their way of doing it.

25 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The point I’m making Dave is more about hints to the media that they aren’t chasing someone, not that they are.

With the vast majority of fans on here listing Hughton as their choice, it would be very easy to get word to GMG that he isn’t a front runner, if the club aren’t seriously going for him, otherwise, aren’t they mismanaging expectations?

When the final appointment is made, we should know the answer to that one, but I really hope it doesn’t come out later that he was never a serious contender.

But we know / gleaned they’ve interviewed Hughton....⬇️⬇️⬇️

10 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

....we seem to be jumping to conclusions that because we’ve not announced him that he’s no longer in the running.

Basically posters on here want a communication from the club to suit a scenario they’ve concocted themselves...one that might be completely false.  Why would the club do that?

Archived