IGNORED

FC United of Manchester.

Southport Red

Saw a mate of mine recently who is one of the 4 friends that founded FC United. They were all lifelong Man U season ticket holders, who were disgusted at what the Glaziers were doing to the blue they loved. 

The four of them were out for a pint and, after two pints it was “I’m not going again while the Glaziers are in charge”. After 6 pints it was “we should start our own supporter owned team. Two more pints and they had a business plan scrawled across several beermats. Now they have a lovely ground and are only a couple of promotions away from the football league. They have lost some supporters when Salford City got trendy, but still doing very well with 10,000+ Owners. 

If I lived Bristol right now...

19 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Saw a mate of mine recently who is one of the 4 friends that founded FC United. They were all lifelong Man U season ticket holders, who were disgusted at what the Glaziers were doing to the blue they loved. 

The four of them were out for a pint and, after two pints it was “I’m not going again while the Glaziers are in charge”. After 6 pints it was “we should start our own supporter owned team. Two more pints and they had a business plan scrawled across several beermats. Now they have a lovely ground and are only a couple of promotions away from the football league. They have lost some supporters when Salford City got trendy, but still doing very well with 10,000+ Owners. 

Great story and I hope they make it into the football league sooner rather than later. Great fans too as I can remember them taking lots to Torquay in 2015 and really getting behind their team 

13 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

So you are comparing someone who bought a club to saddle it with debt and use it to pay his interest off with an owner who continues to fund the club? 

Are you for real?

When my mate was chairman, they were away somewhere and the opposing Chairman said to him “we would like to offer you and your club’s owner hospitality after the game” my mate said “that is very kind but we have 10,000 owners” ?

Never really understood their motivation for starting the team, until yesterday. 

17 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

We're probably 1% the size of man u so that would give us 100 owners!

18 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

So rather than give Holden a chance you’d rather abandon your team and set up a whole new club? Count me out 

5 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

No I was comparing some lifelong loyal fans who felt so disenfranchised by their team’s owners starting their own team. I never understood why, until yesterday. 

And yes, I am ‘for real’, thanks for checking though. 

“City till I die (unless I don’t like the next manager)”

This is from their club website stating why they started a new club:

’The club set up in protest to Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United' is a statement often used to describe FC United. But while there is no doubt that FC would not have happened without the American invasion, it was the catalyst, the final straw, but not the sole reason.

The material theft of a Manchester institution, forcibly taken from the people of Manchester, was the tip of a pyramid of destruction, with changing kick off times for the benefit of television, soulless all-seater stadia full of 'new' supporters intent to sit back and watch rather than partake in the occasion, heavy handed stewarding and ridiculously priced tickets propping it all up.’

Let’s be honest, none of that is similar to what we’re facing. So much like the earlier thread about protests, it’s a ridiculous overreaction to an appointment, that although it may not be popular, certainly isn’t a reason for throwing toys out of the pram

Just now, Bobbie said:

So rather than give Holden a chance you’d rather abandon your team and set up a whole new club? Count me out 

Fine. You are welcome to your opinion, just as I am welcome to mine. I have followed City for 55 years, from Division 1 to Division 4 and the point of extinction. I have never felt so removed from the team as I have in recent times. 

Never said we should start our own team, merely that, for the first time, I could understand the motivations for it. 

Just an opinion, that is all, this is not a China so I believe I am entitled to it. 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

This is from their club website stating why they started a new club:

’The club set up in protest to Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United' is a statement often used to describe FC United. But while there is no doubt that FC would not have happened without the American invasion, it was the catalyst, the final straw, but not the sole reason.

The material theft of a Manchester institution, forcibly taken from the people of Manchester, was the tip of a pyramid of destruction, with changing kick off times for the benefit of television, soulless all-seater stadia full of 'new' supporters intent to sit back and watch rather than partake in the occasion, heavy handed stewarding and ridiculously priced tickets propping it all up.’

Let’s be honest, none of that is similar to what we’re facing. So much like the earlier thread about protests, it’s a ridiculous overreaction to an appointment, that although it may not be popular, certainly isn’t a reason for throwing toys out of the pram

Right, this is the last time I’m saying this. I said for the first time I understand their motivation. The circumstances are entirely different but when the leadership allows disconnects with supporters it is never good. 

That is all. I am not throwing anything out of anywhere and as to another poster’s comment about ‘bailing’ on the club, they have certainly lost some of their hold on me recently. Home games are a 600 mile round trip for me, you really need to feel a connection to do that, right now I don’t feel it. 

I’m sure this will trigger a pile of “if you don’t like it **** off” posts, but, last time I looked this was a forum, your not liking my comments doesn’t make them invalid. 

Just now, Southport Red said:

Right, this is the last time I’m saying this. I said for the first time I understand their motivation. The circumstances are entirely different but when the leadership allows disconnects with supporters it is never good. 

That is all. I am not throwing anything out of anywhere and as to another poster’s comment about ‘bailing’ on the club, they have certainly lost some of their hold on me recently. Home games are a 600 mile round trip for me, you really need to feel a connection to do that, right now I don’t feel it. 

I’m sure this will trigger a pile of “if you don’t like it **** off” posts, but, last time I looked this was a forum, your not liking my comments doesn’t make them invalid. 

What was the point of the post if it has nothing to do with our club? If you aren’t drawing links between the situation Man United found themselves in 15 years ago with the glaziers and us now, then what exactly are you trying to say? Fair enough ‘understanding their motivation’ but there must be more to this post than just that if you’ve decided to put it up now with all that’s going on...

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Fine. You are welcome to your opinion, just as I am welcome to mine. I have followed City for 55 years, from Division 1 to Division 4 and the point of extinction. I have never felt so removed from the team as I have in recent times. 

Never said we should start our own team, merely that, for the first time, I could understand the motivations for it. 

Just an opinion, that is all, this is not a China so I believe I am entitled to it. 

So you’ll know we’ve had it much much worse than this in the past. We’ve got a great stadium, top class training facilities on the way, most expensive squad we’ve ever had, highest average attendances, genuine hopes to get into the premier league but everything in your mind is beyond repair because we’ve taken 5 weeks to name a new manager, and you think that named manager might not do well even though in the games he was in temporary charge he did well. He hasn’t even been announced ffs but yes, let’s sack it all off and never support City again. 

Steve Lansdown should get a knighthood for everything he’s done for Bristol. He has put Bristol on the map more than anyone else in recent times, not just in Sport but also within the Business world, and we should be so thankful we have him. Not comparing him with a bunch of greedy yanks who took over a club to saddle it with debt and make a fortune. The comparison is an absolute joke. 

2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

So you’ll know we’ve had it much much worse than this in the past. We’ve got a great stadium, top class training facilities on the way, most expensive squad we’ve ever had, highest average attendances, genuine hopes to get into the premier league but everything in your mind is beyond repair because we’ve taken 5 weeks to name a new manager, and you think that named manager might not do well even though in the games he was in temporary charge he did well. He hasn’t even been announced ffs but yes, let’s sack it all off and never support City again. 

Steve Lansdown should get a knighthood for everything he’s done for Bristol. He has put Bristol on the map more than anyone else in recent times, not just in Sport but also within the Business world, and we should be so thankful we have him. Not comparing him with a bunch of greedy yanks who took over a club to saddle it with debt and make a fortune. The comparison is an absolute joke. 

If only there were more chairman like yours!

Just now, JBFC II said:

What was the point of the post if it has nothing to do with our club? If you aren’t drawing links between the situation Man United found themselves in 15 years ago with the glaziers and us now, then what exactly are you trying to say? Fair enough ‘understanding their motivation’ but there must be more to this post than just that if you’ve decided to put it up now with all that’s going on...

This is now a football forum, not just City. But, the link is that clubs lose touch with the fan base and in the FCUM case it resulted in a whole new supporter owned team forming. The City board have been ignoring its supporters for some time now. The reason for posting now is because now is the time I realise that I am totally insignificant to Bristol City, that my relationship with the club is entirely lop sided and after years of trying to understand why my mate would do what he did I understand now. 

Of course the Lansdown’s aren’t the Glaziers, but there is the whiff of “Its my team and I’ll do what I like with it”, which is the sentiment that set my mate off on his course of action. Our circumstances are very different but I now understand what drove them as I do feel disconnected from City and, after 55 years, it’s kinda sad. 

4 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Wasn’t comparing him to the Glaziers, other than to make the point of the dangers of ignoring the support. The rest of your post I agree with. 

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

The facilities will be an upgrade but tens of millions of pounds short of top class. 

6 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Wasn’t comparing him to the Glaziers, other than to make the point of the dangers of ignoring the support. The rest of your post I agree with. 

Fair enough. Tbh I think my reaction wasn’t really against you but I’m just sick of reading people slag of Lansdown. What he’s done for this club is unbelievable and we would be in a deep hole without him. People on here seemed to think we’re entitled to success without being grateful for what we have already achieved. I misinterpreted your point 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The facilities will be an upgrade but tens of millions of pounds short of top class. 

Get your cheque book out then 

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Still good enough for the Premiership and better than a lot of clubs and if you get there and can always be improved later on

The poster stated top class. That is a Cobham, Colney, Enfield training centre, the Etihad Campus or a Staplewood. What Bristol City are upgrading to is moderate in comparison to Premiership standards. 

32 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Just think though, those 10,000 owners would have to finance the player budget that SL pays for now, if everyone put in £1000 that would give you £10m , enough to pay about 1/2 the players wages, each owner would have to put in £5k every year to get anywhere near the sum required

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The poster stated top class. That is a Cobham, Colney, Enfield training centre, the Etihad Campus or a Staplewood. What Bristol City are upgrading to is moderate in comparison to Premiership standards. 

I agree never top class compaired to the Ethiad campus but probaly a good standard and comparable to the likes of Norwich, Fulham, Southampton etc  

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Can I just say...I understood the point you were making!

A 600 mile round trip is very impressive - makes 120 miles seem nothing.

Just now, Shaun Taylor said:

I agree never top class compared to the Ethiad campus but probably a good standard and comparable to the likes of Norwich, Fulham, Southampton etc  

Southampton and Staplewood. Staplewoood cost a similar sum to the redevelopment of Ashton Gate. It is a flagship training facility. Its academy is one of the best in Europe. 

If we want to compare community use and intent to Norwich it will not be matched. Norwich use their facility to run networks of coaches and the facility acting as a regional coaching hub. That again is top class. Bristol City won't be. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Southampton and Staplewood. Staplewoood cost a similar sum to the redevelopment of Ashton Gate. It is a flagship training facility. Its academy is one of the best in Europe. 

If we want to compare community use and intent to Norwich it will not be matched. Norwich use their facility to run networks of coaches and the facility acting as a regional coaching hub. That again is top class. Bristol City won't be. 

That's the bit I don't understand as your location is perfect, a billionaire owner, big fanbase yet there's still something holding you back when you should be competing with the Southamptons on and off the pitch 

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Me too.

I've been on holiday for a week and have come back thinking I must have missed something!! What is this mass hysteria? Are people really spitting out their dummies because the board (might) have chosen a manager who was not their preferred choice???

Get a grip people! I know it's hot today but it's clearly turning people's brains to mush!

Archived