IGNORED

Paul Simpson - Coaches Voice and 1st Interview

Davefevs

45 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Who do we think identified these two? Presumably Holden wanted to work with them. I'd be very impressed if Holden's pitch was as thorough as picking these 2 specifically, and then that pitch was put to them like you say convinced them to leave their England jobs

Holden said (at the press conference I think it was) that he enjoyed playing under Simpson. He also said he knew Downing through football being a small world - think he said he had had discussions with him at coaches gatherings/courses etc. I suspect it started with Holden outlining the type of assistant he required with a number of suggestions and quickly narrowed down to those two. I say quickly as Downing said it was very quick and that makes sense as clearly it couldn’t happen until the decision had been made by City that they wanted Holden which seems to have been last week. 

10 hours ago, pride of the west said:

I'm sure I heard Moore say in a video chat during lockdown that he was told he wasn't good enough and they wanted to go in a different direction. I'm sure he also said that with hindsight he now understands but was tough at the time being captain all throughout the age groups. 

I believe that was at club level in France.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

In my heart of hearts, I want to hear Holden say something along the lines that he asked Paul Simpson as he’d been his manager at Shrewsbury, and between them they thought Downing would be a good addition.

But there’s a part of me that says it was nothing like that ?

Even if MA did play a leading role in it....if LJ had gone out this summer and attracted these two, I reckon a lot of fans would see it as a coup.

Mark Ashton’s face totally lit up into a huge smile when asked about them on the official site interview. Was very dour and straight until then. 

One of them said they had ‘heard good things about Dean’ so clearly hardly know each other. 

All points toward a bit of influence!

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Mark Ashton’s face totally lit up into a huge smile when asked about them on the official site interview. Was very dour and straight until then. 

One of them said they had ‘heard good things about Dean’ so clearly hardly know each other.

That was Downing.....

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I'm convinced that what really happened is that the board were concerned that Holden/Macca/Williams would be too inexperienced, so they came up with a plan B.

They probably brainstormed some ideas, with experience of coaching young players top of the list, and that led them naturally to the England set up. There may have been other coaches that weren't interested before Downing and Simpson negotiations started. 

The board arranged for them to meet Holden and they all shook hands. I'm sure if Gregor pressed him on it, Holden would evade the question. He was certainly very woolly when he was asked about it on the pitch.

25 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Pass it forward, win it back, don’t be frightened to make a mistake words this group won’t have heard for some time. 

its only talk but the 3 of them seem capable of giving clear messages not waffle. 

Yet last summer we had video of LJ trying to coach the players to do a “Marlon no look pass”.  As a pro at this level, you’ve either got that in your locker and do it naturally or you haven’t!

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I'm convinced that what really happened is that the board were concerned that Holden/Macca/Williams would be too inexperienced, so they came up with a plan B.

They probably brainstormed some ideas, with experience of coaching young players top of the list, and that led them naturally to the England set up. There may have been other coaches that weren't interested before Downing and Simpson negotiations started. 

The board arranged for them to meet Holden and they all shook hands. I'm sure if Gregor pressed him on it, Holden would evade the question. He was certainly very woolly when he was asked about it on the pitch.

That’s pretty plausible.  When looking at the list, Holden might see Simpson’s name and say “he was my boss at Shrewsbury, we got on well”, etc.

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Paul Simpson interview on the website is very good apart from one bit where he says the fans won’t mind players making a mistake if they are working hard.  Obviously hasn’t read city fans on OTIB, Twitter or Facebook!

Yeh very impressive interview, he talks well I think, if he can give me confidence as a fan then hopefully he can do the same with the players!

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Reading between the lines regarding Downing I wouldn't be surprised if Holden first spoke / requested Simpson as he'd been impressed with his management as a player and maybe had heard of the potential redundancies at FA level so fancied that he'd be available. There will be a lot of cross working between Simpson and Downing as England U19 and U20 bosses so it wouldn't surprise me if Simpson had then recommended Downing to Holden as an additional option. As Holden said in his interview he'd met and been impressed by Downing when they'd met a couple of times at St George's park so he became a logical appointment. Then listening to one of Ashton's interviews it was apparent that it then became his job to liaise with the FA and potentially the two of them themselves to get them released from their current roles and sort out contracts.

As per Downing's 'heard good things about Dean' comments, I think it's completely consistent to have met someone a couple of times and been impressed by them but before you move half way across the country to go and work for them to do your due diligence and ask around to make sure he's the sort of character you'd want to work for.

I agree with others re-Simpson's first interview earlier in the thread, very impressive (as I thought Downing's on radio Bristol was too tbf). I can't help thinking this trio of coaches will be a big upgrade on the old one with LJ (always seemed from a far to try to overcoach and make things too complicated), JMc (I love the guy but he did have very limited first team coaching experience) and Holden.

Exciting times ahead hopefully!

12 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Or there's no point hanging around the England set up when internationals could be few and far between over the next year or two depending on Covid 

Those were my same thoughts when I heard the announcement. Cant imagine they took much persuading.

8 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Comes across well (as do Holden and Downing), but we can all come across well just 3 days into pre-season. I'll reserve judgement until we've encounter some 'bumps in the road'.

I'm 100% with you on that. In a 2 minute chat on BCTV camera Simpson seemed like a good coach, but that's not anywhere near enough to judge him on.

Archived