IGNORED

Taking stock

Jerseybean

9 minutes ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

Glad the excitement is building for you. 
Uneducated punt… we are toytown, not deserving to be taken seriously.
Hope my view changes.

What's making you say that? The managerial appointment has been done and many of us have concerns, however since then... 

• We've beaten competition to sign a very capable Championship midfielder who'll improve our first 11
  • We are in the market for other first team players
  • It looks like Diedhiou may sign a new contract
  • Eliasson (as of yet) hasn't left and has featured in pre-season
  • Holden has said a lot of the right things in interviews that (hopefully) will carry through to the team

Not that much to measure us on just yet, but I'd argue he's had a good first couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What's making you say that? The managerial appointment has been done and many of us have concerns, however since then... 

• We've beaten competition to sign a very capable Championship midfielder who'll improve our first 11
  • Holden has said a lot of the right things in interviews that (hopefully) will carry through to the team

Not that much to measure us on just yet, but I'd argue he's had a good first couple of weeks.

I wish I had your optimism. We made one good signing. Apart from that we have the same team as last year weakened by the loss of  some of the loan signings. And a rookie manager. I think it will be a tough season ahead while Holden learns the job.

On 25/08/2020 at 11:03, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes, good, fair points. You are correct. I would not argue any point made.  My point is a personal view. I am finding it very difficult generate any interest at all in the forthcoming season. I've purchased a season ticket (season on season since 1987), but to be honest have got very little interest.

All the best. 

On 22/08/2020 at 15:35, Jerseybean said:

Just trying to take stock of things admittedly with limited evidence, it’s looking like.......

Dean Holden’s approach is refreshing both on and off the pitch. He seems focused on simplifying things, having a very fit squad, playing with more freedom and with a greater emphasis on going forward. He communicates well, says things like they are and shows pride and passion.

3-5-2 appears to be the preferred set up, which, given our abundance of midfielders, makes sense and provides the opportunity to adjust game-by-game and during a game without the need to make wholesale changes.

Our strongest starting 11 remains to be seen, however, (and I know this is a dodgy claim) I think most of us could agree upon the names of half a dozen, or so, of those who will be first on the team sheet.....I’d suggest Wells, Williams, Kalas, DaSilva and Bentley are all pretty much nailed-on. We will see departures and know what’s happening re FD and NE over the coming days/weeks and hopefully a couple of incomings. Hopefully, the incomers will be regular starters or at least strong squad players (rather than ones for the future).

Of course the closed-season is always a good time to be a City fan!

A few hunches / potential additional thoughts.....Ashley W is looking unlikely, Steven S is looking like an incoming loanee.

Think we will see quite a few departures in the next week or so, which likely will include Sam S, clarity re FD and NE will also emerge, having a feeling Fam will stay and Nic won’t.

Chris B and Nat P would imo be worthwhile and sensible additions and would add strength / options and in the case of CB bring experience. I’d like to see Nicki M given a deal for the season.

Fancy we will land a striker too, maybe a PL loanee. 

In fairness to Dean H he knows the squad and the personalities, he also will know very well where our strengths and weaknesses are. Given the way things are shaping up it looks to me that he is confident that we have cover and competition in most positions and will make additions where necessary and off-load (especially in midfield) where appropriate.

Archived