IGNORED

Any one else.............

slartibartfast

• Admin
33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

feel this is the most boring "pre-season" ever ?

I guess it isn't the same without having the long break before all the build up to players returning

After all the season only just finished with the Champions League final, and with Scotland already up and running it doesn't really feel like the season finished

Just now, Sturny said:

Because our expectation are so low. We got all our drama out of the way early. I feel we're in for the most "Meh" season ever with so far only one new face, which is a good signing but I don't think Williams will be getting me out of my seat. 

I don't think expectations are low. I'm expecting us to be right up there in the top 6. That was the club's expectation for LJ, he didn't achieve it so was sacked. The board haven't indicated expectations have changed so we should be in for an exciting season.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think expectations are low. I'm expecting us to be right up there in the top 6. That was the club's expectation for LJ, he didn't achieve it so was sacked. The board haven't indicated expectations have changed so we should be in for an exciting season.

I'm talking about the subjective expectations but everyone i've talked to has low expectation also. I'm not fussed what expectation the board have. 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

The board can't tell me how to think. I'm not convinced we have a top 6 side myself. 

Obviously, but the targets the club state should be a realistic expectation for fans. I'm not convinced we have a top 6 side either, but seeing as the board sacked LJ for not achieving top 6, they've now appointed someone they feel can push us to the top 6 and beyond.

I'll judge them on the targets they state so i'm expecting top 6.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Please , stop these clickbait thread titles . You have the place to write a proper theme .

Agree.

The OP should have given a properly detailed thread title.

So, “Anyone else think that we don’t have enough fish and bread puns on this forum?"

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Even though it is short, it is pretty dull.

Most of us appreciate that for a variety of reasons we won’t be making many signings but the club’s total lack of engagement over the last week or so is bizarre.

As for “top six” I’ll be happy with top half..

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously, but the targets the club state should be a realistic expectation for fans. I'm not convinced we have a top 6 side either, but seeing as the board sacked LJ for not achieving top 6, they've now appointed someone they feel can push us to the top 6 and beyond.

Like i've said, not for me. I see us in mid table. At the moment it feels a like a bigger ask for top 6 under DH than it did under LJ. New additions could change this. 

If DH gets us in the top 10 I personally would be content with that. He may even face a sacking for it, it would be delusional. 

24 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Because our expectations are so low. We got all our drama out of the way early. I feel we're in for the most "Meh" season ever with so far only one new face, which is a good signing but I don't think Williams will be getting me out of my seat. 

I wouldn't worry about getting into your seat any time soon, let alone getting back out of it.

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Like i've said, not for me. I see us in mid table. At the moment it feels a like a bigger ask for top 6 under DH than it did under LJ. New additions could change this. 

If DH gets us in the top 10 I personally would be content with that. He may even face a sacking for it, it would be delusional. 

I agree, if the board hadn't set fan expectations then I'd be content with that given the current situation and Holden's relative inexperience.

The issue is that they have set expectation - so i'll judge them on that. It's really unfair on Holden but this is the rod the board have made for their own backs.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I do think your being slightly pedantic. Yes LJ was sacked for not reaching the play offs but this was after 4 years and each year we progressed until this year which was to his demise, the board still have ambition to get promoted and have said top 6 is the target.

A target doesn't then mean if Dean for example gets us 7th and only a couple of points behind is going to get sacked under the same premise.

I think after the fans hysteria of supposedly losing out on the Messiah in Hughton (not my choice) and the current economic climate fans will have accounted for this reasonably with realistic expectations but also hopeful of reaching the top 6. Especially since we are clearly having a season of consolation with blooding in our youngsters with games and coaching.

To be honest, I think every year we forget how boring pre-season is.

We spend mid-May to late-July getting frustrated because nobody has signed and then about ten days getting our hopes up due to a couple of decent signings and encouraging friendly results before losing 3-0 on the opening day. The timing has shifted and it is shorter and we don't have going to the games to look forward to but, apart from that, it's pretty much standard pre-season monotony. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree, if the board hadn't set fan expectations then I'd be content with that given the current situation and Holden's relative inexperience.

The issue is that they have set expectation - so i'll judge them on that. It's really unfair on Holden but this is the rod the board have made for their own backs.

I don't think it's unfair on Holden. He's gone into this job with his eyes open and has been picked above other more experienced candidates. I like him and want him to do well but he doesn't strike me as the type to make excuses and I won't be doing it on his behalf. 

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I do think your being slightly pedantic. Yes LJ was sacked for not reaching the play offs but this was after 4 years and each year we progressed until this year which was to his demise, the board still have ambition to get promoted and have said top 6 is the target.

A target doesn't then mean if Dean for example gets us 7th and only a couple of points behind is going to get sacked under the same premise.

I think after the fans hysteria of supposedly losing out on the Messiah in Hughton (not my choice) and the current economic climate fans will have accounted for this reasonably with realistic expectations but also hopeful of reaching the top 6. Especially since we are clearly having a season of consolation with blooding in our youngsters with games and coaching.

The board have indicated quite clearly he was sacked for not making the playoffs. By their own standards, Holden should be sacked if he doesn't make the playoffs. This is the board's problem.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If any fans jump on DH's back (Not saying you will) for listening to the board about top 6 they need to have a look at themselves 

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Not half as bad as 1939..............when Nazi Germany invaded Poland and instigated World War 2..........I remember the pheckin pre season lasted 6 pheckin years, fortunately, however, Sky coverage was just a mere 46 years away ?

Shame. Chris Kamara's updates from the frontline would have been something to behold...

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

It certainly doesn’t feel like pre season. It wasn’t so far back that the last one finished so I guess it’s not absolutely necessary to undergo a full pre season as we have in ‘normal’ seasons. The squad can’t have lost masses of fitness in such a short time.

Its clearly necessary for Deano to assess the current squad and try  out different formations. So far it’s looks like 5 across the middle but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Just now, Robbored said:

It certainly doesn’t feel like pre season. It wasn’t so far back that the last one finished so I guess it’s not absolutely necessary to undergo a full pre season as we have in ‘normal’ seasons. The squad can’t have lost masses of fitness in such a short time.

Its clearly necessary for Deano to assess the current squad and try  out different formations. So far it’s looks like 5 across the middle but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Reckon Lee Tomlin would have managed back in the day...

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If any fans jump on DH's back (Not saying you will) for listening to the board about top 6 they need to have a look at themselves 

I'd be more annoyed with the board than Holden but ultimately it depends on how well Holden's teams play, whether it's entertaining, whether he plays young players etc. 

If we don't get top 6 though the board should be scrutinised for the appointment. 

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

My expectation is more Bottom 6 than Top 6. So it should either mean I'll be pleasantly surprised or my expectations will be met. Either way I can't be too disappointed.

I'm thinking mid table

19 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

My expectation is more Bottom 6 than Top 6. So it should either mean I'll be pleasantly surprised or my expectations will be met. Either way I can't be too disappointed.

I read somewhere our squad value is the 7th largest in the Champ. Bottom 6 would seem unlikely therefore but you never know

Archived