IGNORED

40 years ago this weekend ......

headhunter

saw the end of an era.

Saturday 6th September 1980: City 0 Swansea 1

That defeat brought an end the 13 year reign of manager Alan Dicks.

I think it is a remarkable fact that 7 of the side who started that first game in the top flight against Arsenal four years earlier featured in that match: Cashley, Sweeney, Whitehead, Gow, Merrick, Tainton & Ritchie. Was Dicks to loyal to these players?

In the Forever Bristol City podcast today we discussed that point and the fact that there were only 3 additions of quality during that stay in the top flight: Hunter, Cormack & Royle.

Here's a link to the podcast and this discussion point is towards the end: https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-g2vn5-ea5385

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We also added Chris Garland to our ranks during those 4 years at the top level & had he not scored the goals he did in the latter part of our first season, there wouldn’t have been a second one.

Glaring oversight by me, the only excuse I can offer that as "one of our own" he was coming home rather than being an outsider. Scored the winner against Leeds and both goals versus Liverpool prior to that Coventry game at the end of 76/77 and therefore was the main reason we stayed up.

On 05/09/2020 at 22:06, headhunter said:

saw the end of an era.

City then had seven managers in the next fourteen years.

On 05/09/2020 at 22:06, headhunter said:

saw the end of an era.

I think it is a remarkable fact that 7 of the side who started that first game in the top flight against Arsenal four years earlier featured in that match: Cashley, Sweeney, Whitehead, Gow, Merrick, Tainton & Ritchie. Was Dicks to loyal to these players?

In the Forever Bristol City podcast today we discussed that point and the fact that there were only 3 additions of quality during that stay in the top flight: Hunter, Cormack & Royle.

Here's a link to the podcast and this discussion point is towards the end: https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-g2vn5-ea5385

also add the likes of jimmy mann david rodgers kevin mabbutt etc it still bewilders me to this day how we struggled so bad that season

Archived