IGNORED

"Just one more thing": Best winning start in tier 2 since Columbo was born

Curr Avon

"Just one more thing" was the famous catchphrase uttered by the shabby but loveable Detective Lieutenant Columbo, in the US tv crime drama-series, Columbo, which aired  between 1968 and 2003.

And it's relevance to Bristol City? Columbo star Peter Falk was born on 16th September 1927, a day prior to the final victory in our five-match winning streak at the start of the 1927/28 campaign in the old Division 2. Our best at this level - to date.

Watched by an Ashton Gate crowd of 22,480, recently promoted City, managed by Alex Raisbeck, hammered Reading 4-1, with goals from Gilhespy, Davey and a brace from Tommy 'Tot' Walsh (pictured, below)

WalshJamesTotBristolCity1927.jpg

Here's a match summary from David Woods' excellent book, Bristol City From War to War - 1915-1946

City chalked up their fifth successive win, with their most convincing display of the season so far. Gilhespy got the show on the road by following up after Duckworth had save his initial shot. Fine play by Neesam, Gilhespy and Martin set up Tot Walsh to net the second.

Sadly, City were thrashed 5-1 and 6-2 in the following fixtures, away at Port Vale and Blackpool, and ultimately failed to match their trailblazing start with a final position of twelfth.

Lets all enjoy this winning run while its lasts, because "Just one more thing...…..Bristol City are top of the Championship" is something I'd love to continue dropping into conversation. Columbo eat your heart out!

24 minutes ago, Down Town said:

I feel like I've just awoken in some parallel universe. 

I've seen some completely random posts on here before, but this is right up there with the worst. 

Absolutely hilarious how you have tried to post some random nonsense about Columbo and link it to Bristol City 

Let's just imagine I've made us both a nice cup of tea and I'm now explaining the background to this post. Have a deep sip. Tastes good doesn't it. Now, let's begin. 

City beating Reading 4-1 at Ashton Gate to crown a 5-match winning run at the start of the 1927-28 season is boring as hell, unless you link it to a random piece of trivia, like a tv character that some people may remember. In this case, Columbo, because that's all I could find, after trawling Wikipedia and several identikit 'On This Day' websites. Now you may say, I don't care because it's still boring as hell and this tea tastes like cat's piss. But, hey, nobody's perfect. Thanks for listening. Now go back to sleep.

22 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Erm, is now a good or bad time to point out we’re not currently top of the league. . . ?

Under the radar Dolls,keeping under the radar.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

,,,,,,,, just one more thing..  

Is Christopher Columbo the chap that discovered America? 

::)

I think the vikings got there first but none of them cared about discovering new lands. They were only interested in loot and pillage.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think the vikings got there first but none of them cared about discovering new lands. They were only interested in loot and pillage.

Has that been confirmed on the OS? :)

Just now, Robbored said:

I learnt that at school and have seen several historical documentaries on that topic since. 

Using the vikings in my original post would not have worked, even if it is historically accurate.

15 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

"Just one more thing" was the famous catchphrase uttered by the shabby but loveable Detective Lieutenant Columbo, in the US tv crime drama-series, Columbo, which aired  between 1968 and 2003.

And it's relevance to Bristol City? Columbo star Peter Falk was born on 16th September 1927, a day prior to the final victory in our five-match winning streak at the start of the 1927/28 campaign in the old Division 2. Our best at this level - to date.

Watched by an Ashton Gate crowd of 22,480, recently promoted City, managed by Alex Raisbeck, hammered Reading 4-1, with goals from Gilhespy, Davey and a brace from Tommy 'Tot' Walsh

You’re onto something here CA - and you’ve subconsciously linked this to another current prominent thread - because Alex Raisbeck played for Partick Thistle before going on to manage Bristol City - and ‘just one more thing’ - he only joined The Jags in the year that Bristol City reached the FA Cup Final for the only time in our history - spooky ... @Thistle58

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Aren't we all!

An interesting fact about Columbo is that you never find out what his first name is. Even his colleagues only ever address him as Lieutenant Columbo. Likewise you never find out the name of his wife or kids (although they are frequently mentioned). You do see his dog though. Its name is "dog".

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Aren't we all!

An interesting fact about Columbo is that you never find out what his first name is. Even his colleagues only ever address him as Lieutenant Columbo. Likewise you never find out the name of his wife or kids (although they are frequently mentioned). You do see his dog though. Its name is "dog".

Never seen his wife either.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

An interesting fact about Columbo is that you never find out what his first name is. Even his colleagues only ever address him as Lieutenant Columbo.

It was Frank.

Columbo's first name is notably never mentioned in the series, but "Frank Columbo" or "Lt. Frank Columbo" can often be seen on his police ID.

^ Correct. As a Columbo fan that's a known fact. He was called Frank.

Here's some more useless trivia for ya.

What IS correct is that his wife, mentioned in virtually every episode, was never seen on camera. The short-lived 1979 series "Mrs. Columbo", supposedly all about the sleuthing adventures of his wife, was disavowed by Falk and NBC. The character was never officially endorsed as the wife of Lt Columbo. The show also failed to capture the imagination of Columbo fans and was cancelled after 13 episodes.

8 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Yeas was gonna say the same thing.

For all you fellow Columbo fans do you know who played the murderer the most times?

Danger man?

Frampton beat me by a whisker!

15 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Just one more thing. We. Are. Top. Of. The. League.

Ha ha, Twentyman bamboozled by further Columbo reference at the start of your RB phone call, as well as being called Dave.

Hopefully you can get in an extended 3rd mention of Columbo later on in the podcast?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ha ha, Twentyman bamboozled by further Columbo reference at the start of your RB phone call, as well as being called Dave.

Hopefully you can get in an extended 3rd mention of Columbo later on in the podcast?

Just one more thing, Noggers; yes.

Archived