IGNORED

Alfie Mawson injury

phantom

13 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I don’t disagree with your point about Mawson’s absence affecting the confidence of the defence but I think lack of height and aggressive defending will be an issue for us. I wouldn’t say any of Vyner, Moore and Kalas are aggressive first ball winners in the air. Moore is the tallest and, whilst his aggression has improved, it has been a criticism of him in the past. Vyner and Kalas both look about 6ft to me and appear more suited to sweeping up behind a dominant partner. We also don’t have Diedhou starting so have lost his ability at attacking the ball when defending concerns. 

If you watch us at defensive corners this season, bar Vyner switching off at Barnsley we have defended them very well.  Chris Martin has done a good job as the man to attack the ball to the near post.  I can only think of one other switch off and that was Wednesday (h) when Lees got a run to the bear post and headed straight at Bents.

52 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I don’t disagree with your point about Mawson’s absence affecting the confidence of the defence but I think lack of height and aggressive defending will be an issue for us. I wouldn’t say any of Vyner, Moore and Kalas are aggressive first ball winners in the air. Moore is the tallest and, whilst his aggression has improved, it has been a criticism of him in the past. Vyner and Kalas both look about 6ft to me and appear more suited to sweeping up behind a dominant partner. We also don’t have Diedhou starting so have lost his ability at attacking the ball when defending concerns. 

Perhaps Diedhiou in defence could be a stopgap?

On 22/10/2020 at 16:38, Taz said:

The pessimist in me says the curse of the loan player has struck again.

Aka the curse of Irene's dirty knickers.

The list of crocks grows ever longer.

I'm sure someone can put together a team of our crocked loanees.

I reckon we've probably had enough to cover every position.

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

Perhaps Diedhiou in defence could be a stopgap?

Just because he heads a ball out from a corner doesn't mean he's a defender! Completely different ball game.

And could Mawson be this year's Afobe? Excellent for 5-6 games then injured and we struggle the rest of the season. Let's hope not.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Loved to be proved wrong, but be very surprised if he plays for us again before the January transfer window is open.

If Baker is back by then we can review but we do look one short otherwise.

Sadly have to agree with this. There is no guarantee that Baker will be back either.

Given his poor injury record at Fulham, we may have to go into the loan market again in January.

The biggest problem for me is that Moore will now be played as the left sided defender and that will unbalance things, to lose two left sided defenders is really bad news, and with the manager intent on playing three at the back we are one injury or suspension away from having to field a makeshift defence.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Description in the article to me implies his season isn't over

Maybe, maybe not.

Based on his injury history though I think we would be very foolish to plan on that being the case.

2 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Andrius Velička, Sam Vokes, George Elokobi, Benik Afobe and now Alfie Mawson. Another for the unfortunate list of season threatening injuries early doors in loan spells at Bristol City!

Didn’t Lewis Dunk also get injured on loan here? Managed only 2 games if I recall. 

4 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Didn’t Lewis Dunk also get injured on loan here? Managed only 2 games if I recall. 

No, couldn’t get in the team for much of the month he was here.

Seems odd now but lots was in that season..

17 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Andrius Velička, Sam Vokes, George Elokobi, Benik Afobe and now Alfie Mawson. Another for the unfortunate list of season threatening injuries early doors in loan spells at Bristol City!

Dani Rodrigues another. Horrible one as well.

26 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Dani Rodrigues another. Horrible one as well.

Beat me to it @Gazred. We could probably put together a full 11 of longterm injured loan players - although I can't think of a goalkeeper, but maybe if we include longterm contracted players then we could add Mercer. Go that route may as well throw in Matthews and Brooker as well for a few subs!!

Hope Ashton used his club credit card for the loan fees, then there is a chance we could get a refund from the card provider on the grounds of being "not fit for purpose".

In Joe Williams case, I assume Wigan would not take payment until Williams has played.

2 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

Just in an insight for others and obviously we have no idea of what the injury is but If you have under gone significant Knee surgery such as ACL's sometimes they like to do minor arthroscopy to make sure there is no graft or structural damage, even if the injury is not related directly. 

Mrs Downend is secretary to a Consultant Knee Surgeon. 

She say if an arthroscopy then return could be fairly  quick, but ACL recovery much longer - for “normal” patients up to 12 months rehab but pro footballer would be sooner as they are physically fit and have access to pro physics and dedicated rehab.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

She say if an arthroscopy then return could be fairly  quick, but ACL recovery much longer - for “normal” patients up to 12 months rehab but pro footballer would be sooner as they are physically fit and have access to pro physics and dedicated rehab.

I am aware of the recovery time for ACL I was merely pointing that we genuinely don't know and having surgery doesn't always mean worse case scenarios; others above were speculating 3 months minimum was more my point just didn't quote them

13 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

Just in an insight for others and obviously we have no idea of what the injury is but If you have under gone significant Knee surgery such as ACL's sometimes they like to do minor arthroscopy to make sure there is no graft or structural damage, even if the injury is not related directly. 

Yep, I’ve had 4 cartilage ops (2 on each knee) and an ACL.

My first cartilage op I was back playing inside 4 weeks.  That was on the NHS at Winford....that’s how long ago it was (early 90s).

All the others were private and were 6-8 weeks. ACL was very different!  That surgery sorted out cartilage damage done too!

There’s a fair chance Mawson has little cartilage left in his knee anyway.

Wish him the best and for a speedy recovery.

6 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

I am aware of the recovery time for ACL I was merely pointing that we genuinely don't know and having surgery doesn't always mean worse case scenarios; others above were speculating 3 months minimum was more my point just didn't quote them

?

Given AM’s history, have to say I fear the worst and it could well be we don’t see him back this season.  

Not just a concern as far as BCFC is concerned, but it is his career potentially at risk, so fingers crossed for the lad.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He won't be back this season

My thoughts too

We wondered why Fulham were so happy to let such a top quality player out on loan when they clearly needed back up in that position

Sadly seems those that warned about his injury record were correct

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Physics is different for pro footballers?

Bloody hell, no wonder I was so shit.

I know injuries are apart of the game but I’m getting peed off with it quite frankly. All of a sudden we’re looking light in some areas compared to a few weeks ago where we had a bloated squad. 

It just never seems to pan out the way we want it. We’re not a club filled with luck are we?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I’ve had 4 cartilage ops (2 on each knee) and an ACL.

My first cartilage op I was back playing inside 4 weeks.  That was on the NHS at Winford....that’s how long ago it was (early 90s).

All the others were private and were 6-8 weeks. ACL was very different!  That surgery sorted out cartilage damage done too!

There’s a fair chance Mawson has little cartilage left in his knee anyway.

Wish him the best and for a speedy recovery.

Your surgeon at Winford. Did he have blue overalls and carried a mop and bucket? If so, I know him, I had my big toe straightened by him in 1985, It's straight but, upside down.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Your surgeon at Winford. Did he have blue overalls and carried a mop and bucket? If so, I know him, I had my big toe straightened by him in 1985, It's straight but, upside down.

No, this one word black and a scythe!

Believe it or not, I walked out of the hospital as they didn’t have any crutches!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, this one word black and a scythe!

Believe it or not, I walked out of the hospital as they didn’t have any crutches!

They gave me his mop.        Should that read "wore"?

15 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Wish him the best. Nice to have such a quality player but we knew he had two glass knees and this was always a likely scenario. We are in trouble now I fear 

I do suspect that unless any U23 lads are deemed up to it we will need to find out of contract free agent player. 

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I do suspect that unless any U23 lads are deemed up to it we will need to find out of contract free agent player. 

Frankly, from age 19 onwards players should be pushing for a first team place and once selected, claim the shirt.

We need an Academy that has that DNA, we need to give the Academy players that incentive. Push ‘em hard and early. 

What is the problem with Alfie?  At Holden's press conference, our resident journo Gregor asked "Has Alfie had the exploratory op yet?"  "Yes" says DH   "Do we know when he will be back?" spake mighty Gregor "No we don't know how long" says DH.   So then Gregor asks ""Do you now know exactly what the problem is then?"   "Yes" says DH.   End Of!!   So WHAT is the Pheckin injury?  ..............Why didn't Gregor ask?   And why didn't DH expand on exactly what injury Alfie has ?  Is it too much to ask, and to be told what injury he has sustained?  Why all the secrecy?   Ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What is the problem with Alfie?  At Holden's press conference, our resident journo Gregor asked "Has Alfie had the exploratory op yet?"  "Yes" says DH   "Do we know when he will be back?" spake mighty Gregor "No we don't know how long" says DH.   So then Gregor asks ""Do you now know exactly what the problem is then?"   "Yes" says DH.   End Of!!   So WHAT is the Pheckin injury?  ..............Why didn't Gregor ask?   And why didn't DH expand on exactly what injury Alfie has ?  Is it too much to ask, and to be told what injury he has sustained?  Why all the secrecy?   Ridiculous.

He is Fulham’s player at the end of the day.

He will have any post operation treatment there.

I think we probably have a very good indication of how long he will be out & our interest in free agent defenders won’t be unconnected to that.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He is Fulham’s player at the end of the day.

He will have any post operation treatment there.

I think we probably have a very good indication of how long he will be out & our interest in free agent defenders won’t be unconnected to that.

Even so.......if they know exactly what injury he has sustained..........why not say?..........as the old cliche goes....."It's not rocket science"?

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I guess Dean doesn't want to give specific details out to the media as it gives opposition teams weeks/months away tactical knowledge that helps their plans and thats an advantage we don't want to give. At this stage it keeps the opposition guessing when we might have our best defender back and therefore makes their planning a little bit more tricky. Every little tactical advantage helps - and we need lots of help at the moment.

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

I guess Dean doesn't want to give specific details out to the media as it gives opposition teams weeks/months away tactical knowledge that helps their plans and thats an advantage we don't want to give. At this stage it keeps the opposition guessing when we might have our best defender back and therefore makes their planning a little bit more tricky. Every little tactical advantage helps - and we need lots of help at the moment.

Mmmmmm!  Sounds a bit excessively James Bond to me?  Us knowing what injury he has sustained is not gonna change the promotion and relegation in this league.  IMHO it is unnecessarily secretive ??

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Even so.......if they know exactly what injury he has sustained..........why not say?..........as the old cliche goes....."It's not rocket science"?

What if for whatever reason Mawson himself doesn’t want details of the injury publicised

What If his career is in the balance ?

Has he no right to confidentiality because he’s a footballer ?

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I suspect it’s because he’s Fulham’s player, and sensitivity to Alfie due to his previous injuries.  What if it’s his career over....not Holden’s place to tell the world is it.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

What if for whatever reason Mawson himself doesn’t want details of the injury publicised

What If his career is in the balance ?

Has he no right to confidentiality because he’s a footballer ?

Haha, great minds.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect it’s because he’s Fulham’s player, and sensitivity to Alfie due to his previous injuries.  What if it’s his career over....not Holden’s place to tell the world is it.

Haha, great minds.

You are both, of course absolutely right.  How stupid am I, not to consider all the angles?  I sincerely hope Alfie is ok, and recovers quickly.

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You are both, of course absolutely right.  How stupid am I, not to consider all the angles?  I sincerely hope Alfie is ok, and recovers quickly.

You are not  stupid , it is unusual for more detail not to come out 

That itself , actually makes me fear for Mawson going forward

Gregor reporting today that Mawson could be back next month which is great news as I expected him to be out for the season. If we can get Baker and Mawson both fit for the second half of the season this would help our chances massively.

“Nathan Baker is expected back towards the end of December, which is only next month, while there is still no timescale on Alfie Mawson coming back into the first team. However, Bristol Live understands that Mawson could be back at Ashton Gate next month too and even playing again then if all goes well.“

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's excellent news and would be a real unexpected bonus!

Key thing is let's not rush him back unduly- we were often prone to this under LJ and that could extend the injury, exacerbate it- make sure it's the right time not the quickest time.

Wouldn’t Fulham have  big say in when he can return?

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wouldn’t Fulham have  bog say in when he can return?

Might well do- they definitely wouldn't want it extended, exacerbated through returning too soon- would with Sessegnon too though he's got no estimated return date from his injury? I'd have thought Fulham would err on the side of caution.

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wouldn’t Fulham have  bog say in when he can return?

Depends on how serious the injury was, it clearly wasn’t his ACL that he did, so looks like it’s probably his cartilage which is a very simple procedure nowadays  (especially compared to an ACL) but as he’s under contract with us, I would say it’s our decision. 
If Fulham aren’t happy then they would be well within their rights to let City know so but I’m not sure how much they could do about it. But it obviously wouldn’t do City any favours in the long run to upset another club as it could prove detrimental in the future as not only Fulham but other clubs may not trust us with their players.

Archived