IGNORED

Academy

Shuffle

With injuries piling up we are quickly becoming short of numbers.  Do any regular watchers of the academy hold out any hope that if pressed there are any who could step into the match day squad?  Could Opi Edwards cover RWB, could Towler/Harrison cover CB’s or is there anyone else that has the ability/potential to contribute now?   

Appreciate views from those that watch u23’s as they are just names to me. 

We’ve probably loaned out most of the players who might have been called into the first team squad in an emergency and I guess that’s the problem, we don’t have any real backup.

While those players will be getting valuable game time the first team squad is pretty depleted due to the injury situation, which of course no one would have expected to be so bad.

Don’t know what the injury situation is like with the other teams but it’s unlikely to get better given we  are playing 2 games a week for the foreseeable future, then the International break arrives and off go the likes of Nagy and O’Dowda on their travels.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

What surprised me yesterday was Sessegnon being not as quick as I thought he was.

Opi is very very quick. At any level that pace will be dangerous. He was our best player vs Watford in the FA cup 2-3 years ago which showed he could raise his levels. 

I think Opi being involved is a good shout. Probably not making the bench but if Hunt is to get injured then it could well be Opi in the side. Vyner needs to stay centre back with the lack of options, and he is doing well there.

I would say Weimann might be used at wing back, but now he is injured too.

Not so sure Towler will get any championship game time this season. I think Holden will look at the likes of Rowe, Brunt or Bakinson to play there if we get another injury there.

I watched Chippenham town play Torquay when opi was there on loan and he was awful, not saying he’s like that every game but from what I saw he struggled at conference south level 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

What surprised me yesterday was Sessegnon being not as quick as I thought he was.

Opi is very very quick. At any level that pace will be dangerous. He was our best player vs Watford in the FA cup 2-3 years ago which showed he could raise his levels. 

I think Opi being involved is a good shout. Probably not making the bench but if Hunt is to get injured then it could well be Opi in the side. Vyner needs to stay centre back with the lack of options, and he is doing well there.

I would say Weimann might be used at wing back, but now he is injured too.

Not so sure Towler will get any championship game time this season. I think Holden will look at the likes of Rowe, Brunt or Bakinson to play there if we get another injury there.

I thought he looked well out his depth against Watford. Was a while ago though so hopefully he has developed

10 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well right wing back. He has played right back in the under 23s in the past I think, but mainly been a winger like you say.

Has been playing wing back every game for a while now.

Well you never know, I remember thinking semenyo was awful last season now he’s looked pretty good whenever he’s played this season so fingers crossed

Archived