IGNORED

Last chance saloon for Nagy and Massengo?

Bassomylord

Just now, GrahamC said:

Yep, it has to be binary, if someone is good then someone else must be bad.

It is a tough time for Massengo in terms of being on the bench at present & not playing.

I get that he is still only 19 but in comparison with the Towlers and Bells who will be just grateful to be there, he played 25 times last season so it is an adjustment.

If we were a side that scored a few more then I’m sure we would be looking to give him the last 10 minutes every now & then to keep him involved, perversely the only other time we could do so at present is in a game that has already gone from us.

I certainly won’t be writing him off, look at Nagy now & then read some of the posts on him.

On that note @Ivorguy fair play to you..

The obvious player in terms of being "written off" is Semenyo. Go back and read the comments about him a few months back.........some of them are so embarrassing it is literally beyond belief. People GENUINELY talking about loaning him out to League 2. It's so laughable you couldn't make it up. This is what I mean when I say people can only see what is right in front of them.........they literally judged Semenyo on a few less than inspiring performances and made no allowance whatsoever that good young players improve and increase in confidence as they can see it happening for themselves...........just like Massengo will.

We have an all too large minority of fans that seem to enjoy condemning young players as soon as they put in three or four average to poor performances. As a poster above alluded to it is mental and it also shows a very poor grasp of player development that anyone who has played/watched football for any period of time really ought to have an understanding of tbh.

For those that remember Fulham away last season when we won 2-1, Nagy and Massengo played together in central midfield that day with Brownhill and they were both outstanding. I was there that day in the Fulham end (eeek) and they really were giving as good as they got in amongst Johansen and Cairney (2 quality players at this level). 

Would definitely be interesting to see them both in midfield together again this season with perhaps Pato in front of them or a Walsh etc. 

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The obvious player in terms of being "written off" is Semenyo. Go back and read the comments about him a few months back.........some of them are so embarrassing it is literally beyond belief. People GENUINELY talking about loaning him out to League 2. It's so laughable you couldn't make it up. This is what I mean when I say people can only see what is right in front of them.........they literally judged Semenyo on a few less than inspiring performances and made no allowance whatsoever that good young players improve and increase in confidence as they can see it happening for themselves...........just like Massengo will.

We have an all too large minority of fans that seem to enjoy condemning young players as soon as they put in three or four average to poor performances. As a poster above alluded to it is mental and it also shows a very poor grasp of player development that anyone who has played/watched football for any period of time really ought to have an understanding of tbh.

There are people still writing Semenyo off because his finishing has been poor so far.

Give it time and it'll happen to Bakinson as well if he has a few quiet games, probably would have happened already if he hadn't been out for the last month.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

There are people still writing Semenyo off because his finishing has been poor so far.

Give it time and it'll happen to Bakinson as well if he has a few quiet games, probably would have happened already if he hadn't been out for the last month.

I would love to be able to say "that's a bit cynical"....................you literally only have to look at a post in the last 10 minutes or so that says there is nothing to suggest that Semenyo's finishing will get better.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Do agree, although Semenyo hasn't really done much for us. Looked threatening and got a couple assists. However, he also has 16 appearances in the league and 0 goals ... not great for our starting forward?

6 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Do agree, although Semenyo hasn't really done much for us. Looked threatening and got a couple assists. However, he also has 16 appearances in the league and 0 goals ... not great for our starting forward?

4 assists in the league which I believe is the highest of any player in our squad so I would argue it's a bit harsh to say he hasn't really done much for us. In terms of minutes played (903) he's made 10 appearances, in effect, not 17. That said zero goals is a poor return for a wide forward (three or four would be acceptable in his position I think) and so clearly goal scoring is an area he really must improve on. The first thing I look at is "is he getting into goal scoring positions?" and the fact we are moaning about his finishing tells you the answer to that. I would be more concerned if he was never anywhere close to getting a chance at goal. That suggests to me that further improvement can be made with Semenyo and that he hasn't hit some kind of ceiling in his game. Unlike a number of people on here with their backward attitude to the development of younger players I'm not going to write the kid off right now and I certainly wouldn't put him in the useless category that a few "experts" were claiming a few short months ago. 

Archived