IGNORED

Semenyo not good enough at this level

Better Red

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That what talented youngsters do....they improve as they go. Great to see.

What he’s clearly done though Numero is work hard on the aspects of his game that were the rawes / weakest

Credit to him and the coaching staff , a lot of young players would prefer to work on their tricks and skills , he’s jumped levels in the less glamorous aspects

It strongly suggests a good attitude and the willingness and ability to listen , absorb , and work on and that’s a very encouraging sign

His natural ability and strength was always going to give him a chance , Id suggest developing his all round game will ensure he forged a very decent career

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

What he’s clearly done though Numero is work hard on the aspects of his game that were the rawes / weakest

Credit to him and the coaching staff , a lot of young players would prefer to work on their tricks and skills , he’s jumped levels in the less glamorous aspects

It strongly suggests a good attitude and the willingness and ability to listen , absorb , and work on and that’s a very encouraging sign

His natural ability and strength was always going to give him a chance , Id suggest developing his all round game will ensure he forged a very decent career

You’ve hit the nail on the head on why Dean Holden kept him here rather than why he’s on loan as many suggested he should be. He’s seeing what you are suggesting every single day.

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did I hear the commentator say he had picked up an injury in the first half and he was surprised he came back on?

I thought he showed he was learning though, as Dave said he got caught a couple of times, but then later on he was covering well.

After half hour he went down according to my notes...so he had another 15 minutes in the first half to run off whatever it was.

34 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’m sure you picked up in CM’s interview that there seems to be a bit of mentoring going on.

Your post before that....Wells worked really hard up and down first half.  Not his natural game, but he gave us a good shift.  Loved how he looked at Pack and thought I’m running this guy.

Ran out of steam again, this isn't going to change over night so have to put up with this while he gets his conditioning up.

He should 100% be one of the players able to carry the ball and offer relief to the defence but he can't because he doesn't have the fitness. This isn't me calling him lazy or unprofessional.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Ran out of steam again, this isn't going to change over night so have to put up with this while he gets his conditioning up.

He should 100% be one of the players able to carry the ball and offer relief to the defence but he can't because he doesn't have the fitness. This isn't me calling him lazy or unprofessional.

In fairness to him his power and frame , which is an asset , is not the frame for wanting to do 90 mins doggies

What he has learnt is to when to run and when to keep his shape and / or conserve energy and that will serve him well 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

His game has improved so much , a massive kick on for me

Not in a case of suddenly beating three players and dipping one in the top corner but what I would say in game awareness and good basics - Game awareness , when to drop , when to make a run , positional discipline

Reviewing the game last night , both he and Wells did a admirable amount of work as we dropped into a 4-1-4-1 and there were a number of occasions where they were hand in hand with Hunt / Jay helping them out - That can easily go unnoticed 

He has a lot of obvious qualities and potential in the final third but his all round game is where the progression and development is quite stark and impressive

He has developed into a player that can and will contribute to a performance even if he has a game where he’s not having success in the final third

He's not even dribbling or doing the flash stuff that much. He's been very controlled and only taking his man on at the right time. If there are skills still to come out we could be in for a treat.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

He's not even dribbling or doing the flash stuff that much. He's been very controlled and only taking his man on at the right time. If there are skills still to come out we could be in for a treat.

Think that’s a very good point 

I saw him live a few times for U23s when he first came back from Newport 

Im not sure he is full of outrageous tricks but he is strong with decent feet and the ability to roll defenders or drop a shoulder and create a yard - Not struck me as a heavy Goalscorer yet but when I’ve seen him in U23s he has a hammer strike on him and more likely to score the odd great goal atm rather than a quantity

The goal poaching instinct and awareness could easily burst through with him at any point - he’s definitely a very interesting work in progress

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness to him his power and frame , which is an asset , is not the frame for wanting to do 90 mins doggies

What he has learnt is to when to run and when to keep his shape and / or conserve energy and that will serve him well 

Yeah, still “growing into his body” I presume.  You can imagine him playing a lower level and him bullying the opposition based on this season.  But the Champ is physical and quick....and he’s just trying to get those in sync.  Not 21 until January!

30 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I disagree, he can definitely get fitter and be able to do more.

We're not talking doing it for 90. We're talking doing it for more than 30.

He basically quit as an attacking threat later in the game.

He can do more IMO. He WILL do more.

I NEVER expect him to do it for 90, he's not Nagy or O'Dowda, there's no way he can, but we can get more out of him as he develops.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, still “growing into his body” I presume.  You can imagine him playing a lower level and him bullying the opposition based on this season.  But the Champ is physical and quick....and he’s just trying to get those in sync.  Not 21 until January!

And he worked hard last night Dave , (As we’ve both said Wells did) often away from the ball , making regular 20-30:yard runs backwards to get us into that 4-1-4-1 shape

Fans criticise players at times for making an error in possession or losing the ball , without realising or recognising they’ve just made 2 or 3 substantial runs / sprints in a short period to help the shape and the side , without interacting with the ball.

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think that’s a very good point 

I saw him live a few times for U23s when he first came back from Newport 

Im not sure he is full of outrageous tricks but he is strong with decent feet and the ability to roll defenders or drop a shoulder and create a yard - Not struck me as a heavy Goalscorer yet but when I’ve seen him in U23s he has a hammer strike on him and more likely to score the odd great goal atm rather than a quantity

The goal poaching instinct and awareness could easily burst through with him at any point - he’s definitely a very interesting work in progress

He might not yet be a heavy goalscorer, but what he does seem to have is an awareness of teammates when he creates room in the box and using that awareness to create opportunities of others.

Most young strikers tend to be overly selfish when they get a sniff of a chance  and are much less inclined to see the chance to set up a teammate.

Just now, Prinny said:

I disagree, he can definitely get fitter and be able to do more.

We're not talking doing it for 90. We're talking doing it for more than 30.

He basically quit as an attacking threat later in the game.

He can do more IMO. He WILL do more.

I’d suggest that he ‘basically quit as an attacking threat later in the game’ as he spent most of the second half doing a lot of good and thankless work tracking and running backwards , to get us into a solid 4-1-4-1 , which appeared to be a Deans wish as Wells, Pato, COD , also worked their asses off to get and retain that shape

I thought it worked excellently and was executed with real effort , concentration and discipline by those four in particular

Wells likewise received criticism but I lost count the number of times he could be seen , off the ball making a run backwards , to help out 

A thankless task for the team and totally unglamorous and unnatural role for them both , with I thought them both performing admirably

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’d suggest that he ‘basically quit as an attacking threat later in the game’ as he spent most of the second half doing a lot of good and thankless work tracking and running backwards , to get us into a solid 4-1-4-1 , which appeared to be a Deans wish as Wells, Pato, COD , also worked their asses off to get and retain that shape

I thought it worked excellently and was executed with real effort , concentration and discipline by those four in particular

Wells likewise received criticism but I lost count the number of times he could be seen , off the ball making a run backwards , to help out 

A thankless task for the team and totally unglamorous and unnatural role for them both , with I thought them both performing admirably

I’m sure you picked up Wells runs forward (off the ball) too - to drag Bacuna deep and give O’Dowda lots of room to move forward.  Unselfish, but showed good aptitude.  He was quite good at bringing Bacuna short early in the phase when we had no chance of getting the ball to CoD, but then take him deep to create space for Callum.  

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He might not yet be a heavy goalscorer, but what he does seem to have is an awareness of teammates when he creates room in the box and using that awareness to create opportunities of others.

Most young strikers tend to be overly selfish when they get a sniff of a chance  and are much less inclined to see the chance to set up a teammate.

Totally agree 

Wasn’t knocking his goal return , not an issue for me, and the point you make about his awareness and unselfishness is excellent

53 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Head. Nail.

For me Semenyo put in a mega-shift last night and pushing for my City MOM. Just never stopped working and grafting. That's what we all want to see from a team, as we can accept loses as long as the team puts in every ounce of energy/effort they've got. Great result and well deserved I think.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Bit out of shape & carrying a bit too much timber imo.. cumbersome.

Need's to whittle it down & 'sharpen up generally....

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Bit out of shape & carrying a bit too much timber imo.. cumbersome.

Need's to whittle it down & 'sharpen up generally....

I think it's more, body type, not growing up in the academy system. Not playing regularly for years. But yes, if he puts in a lot of effort he will see the rewards as will we.

The lad clearly has talent which Chris Martin pointed out in his interview last night. Like any player he needs time to establish himself in the side. His direct approach worries defences, he is still young and will only get better. So give him a break 

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

His game has improved so much , a massive kick on for me

Not in a case of suddenly beating three players and dipping one in the top corner but what I would say in game awareness and good basics - Game awareness , when to drop , when to make a run , positional discipline

Reviewing the game last night , both he and Wells did a admirable amount of work as we dropped into a 4-1-4-1 and there were a number of occasions where they were hand in hand with Hunt / Jay helping them out - That can easily go unnoticed 

He has a lot of obvious qualities and potential in the final third but his all round game is where the progression and development is quite stark and impressive

He has developed into a player that can and will contribute to a performance even if he has a game where he’s not having success in the final third

Spot on,he’s one of those if you saw him play against us he would cause havoc and people would say why haven’t we got players like this,luckily he’s ours 

Might be more appropriate to change the title to:  'Semenyo is too good for this level.'

Tongue in cheek of course as he's still learning and the Championship is the perfect level for him.  But if he continues his development he has all the attributes to be a premier league player (hopefully with City) and Chelsea obviously saw that too.    Players like Sterling have been taught the art of goal scoring and, especially if Antoine adds goals to his game, then he is going to have a top-level career.   It sounds like he is a grounded young player with a good attitude too.

Archived