IGNORED

Ryan Giggs arrested on suspicion of assaulting his partner

Unan

8 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Interesting choice for a character witness, said individual was famous for threatening, bullying and intimidating match officials and indeed the odd player or two.. one received a cut eyebrow at half time.... Hardly Mother Theresa 

I don’t really get the point of character witnesses in this sort of trial. If someone is accused of assaulting their partner, surely how they behave around their work colleagues or their boss is completely irrelevant as it is an entirely different dynamic?

I struggle to imagine a murder trial where a defence team presented a number of people who were still alive to say they weren’t murdered by the accused and that be presented as some sort of defence and the logic feels similar…

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, downendcity said:

He could have done a musical version..

Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of Morecambe & Wise doing this with Angela Rippon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tSzTcBjNaw

If you have access to a VPN, then this has it at 1:45!

20 hours ago, downendcity said:

He could have done a musical version..

Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of Morecambe & Wise doing this with Angela Rippon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tSzTcBjNaw

If you have access to a VPN, then this has it at 1:45!

Former Manchester United footballer and ex-Wales manager Ryan Giggs will not face a retrial on an allegation he assaulted his ex-girlfriend.

It comes after charges were withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) at a hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

Mr Giggs, 48, denied assault and controlling or coercive behaviour towards Kate Greville, 38, and assaulting her sister Emma.

Judge Hilary Manley directed that he was not guilty on all three counts.

The retrial had been due to start at Manchester Crown Court on 31 July.

Jurors failed to reach verdicts following more than 20 hours of deliberations in his four-week trial in August last year.

He was not in court as the judge had agreed he need not attend.

His defence barrister, Chris Daw KC, said: "Mr Giggs is deeply relieved that the case has finally come to an end after almost three years of fighting to clear his name.

"He now intends to rebuild his life and career as an innocent man."

• Sad 1

I can't stand the bloke but his name has been dragged through the mud and his reputation ruined for accusations of which he has been found not guilty.

This trial reminds me of the Dave Lee Travis one.

Think he was a Yew Tree I love you? Think again.  He lost his house, his wealth and his career and the only crime of whch he was actually convicted was to walk up behind a researcher on The Mrs Merton Show and jiggle her tits.  Whilst that's not a good thing to do it hardly puts him into the Savile category.

In his own words after the original acquittals:

"I do not feel like there is a victory in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, I think you already know that I have been through a year-and-a-half of hell on this."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Lee_Travis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Former Manchester United footballer and ex-Wales manager Ryan Giggs will not face a retrial on an allegation he assaulted his ex-girlfriend.

It comes after charges were withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) at a hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

Mr Giggs, 48, denied assault and controlling or coercive behaviour towards Kate Greville, 38, and assaulting her sister Emma.

Judge Hilary Manley directed that he was not guilty on all three counts.

The retrial had been due to start at Manchester Crown Court on 31 July.

Jurors failed to reach verdicts following more than 20 hours of deliberations in his four-week trial in August last year.

He was not in court as the judge had agreed he need not attend.

His defence barrister, Chris Daw KC, said: "Mr Giggs is deeply relieved that the case has finally come to an end after almost three years of fighting to clear his name.

"He now intends to rebuild his life and career as an innocent man."

Surely if the first jury was split, then a significant number of jurors believed him to be guilty ?

That in itself should be reason for the second trial to proceed IMO

Edit : just read the notes above regarding his partner not wanting to submit evidence a second time.

Edited by The Gasbuster

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Doesn't mean he was found innocent.

I know.

Many times people are acquitted when they have committed the crime of which they are accused, far less frequently people are found guilty when they haven't done it.

He has not been found guilty of the offences so if you say that he has done them he could in theory sue you, but in reality wouldn't bother.

The UK criminal justice system is far from perfect, but it just about does the job.