IGNORED

The Ugly, the Bad and the Good

old_eastender

The Ugly, a pat on the back for Holden for finally showing he can do Ugly and dropping Pato after 5 poor displays on the run. A 'coasting' Pato is no good for our team, a Pato needing to play well to keep his place is a good asset.

The Bad, having already seen Rowe look all at sea at left centre back against Villa reserves in the cup Holden tries it again, Bad idea. Similarly he started Brunt against Norwich as the holding CM and he was awful, so again Bad idea to persist with trying that again.

The Good, bringing on Pato and Semenyo and playing 4-3-3, completely changed the game, poor for 70 mins and then looking Good for 20mins and getting the much needed win.

Let's hope lessons have been learned from last night's game and we go into the Cardiff game set-up 4-3-3 without Rowe at CB, Brunt back on the bench, both Bakinson and Nagy starting in CM and Semenyo starting in the front 3.

• The title was changed to The Ugly, the Bad and the Good
7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The Ugly, a pat on the back for Holden for finally showing he can do Ugly and dropping Pato after 5 poor displays on the run. A 'coasting' Pato is no good for our team, a Pato needing to play well to keep his place is a good asset.

The Bad, having already seen Rowe look all at sea at left centre back against Villa reserves in the cup Holden tries it again, Bad idea. Similarly he started Brunt against Norwich as the holding CM and he was awful, so again Bad idea to persist with trying that again.

The Good, bringing on Pato and Semenyo and playing 4-3-3, completely changed the game, poor for 70 mins and then looking Good for 20mins and getting the much needed win.

Let's hope lessons have been learned from last night's game and we go into the Cardiff game set-up 4-3-3 without Rowe at CB, Brunt back on the bench, both Bakinson and Nagy starting in CM and Semenyo starting in the front 3.

Yes some good points and like your possible line up tips for the Cardiff game. I feel the thing with formation is the manager and team have to be able to switch formation as the game requires on the field. There has to the flexibility to see the need, switch the formation and players able to see this them selves and be fluid in the game. One formation is not going to work in all games against differnt teams. 

Been a big critic of Pato, but that just seen that finish for the second. It was sublime. Well done that man.

Biggest plus for me is that, after quite a bit of fumbling around, we seem to now have a viable Plan B. Whether that means Pato and Semenyo are used as (big) impact subs in future games is Holden’s call. I think given where we’re at with the squad and injuries it’s probably same again on Friday. 

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Been a big critic of Pato, but that just seen that finish for the second. It was sublime. Well done that man.

Biggest plus for me is that, after quite a bit of fumbling around, we seem to now have a viable Plan B. Whether that means Pato and Semenyo are used as (big) impact subs in future games is Holden’s call. I think given where we’re at with the squad and injuries it’s probably same again on Friday. 

Yes big improvement on LJ as in we do have a plan B

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Semenyo is familiar with being on the bench hoping to impress if he gets a chance as he did last night. That’s not the case with Pato who has been a regular starter and I daresay he was a little miffed to find himself warming the bench at Huddersfield - it obviously worked tho!

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really get people thinking Paterson doesn't give his all. He runs around non stop every game, 3 games a week every week. He creates chances (most in all of the championship) and scores goals.

He's not the strongest and he isn't super quick, but not slow either. If let's say he had O'Dowda's physical attributes then he'd be a prem player. No player at their prime age at this level will be great at everything. 

What he can do and often does do shows he's a bloody good player at this level imo. I'm not against not playing him though as we have so many options, especially when Williams and Walsh are back. But he's really not been bad at all imo and always gives everything.

Agreed, the OP reckons 5 poor displays on the run from him, what absolute bollocks.

Paterson has played more minutes than anyone except Vyner, it is no surprise he is shattered. He isn’t coasting, he’s knackered.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really get people thinking Paterson doesn't give his all. He runs around non stop every game, 3 games a week every week. He creates chances (most in all of the championship) and scores goals.

He's not the strongest and he isn't super quick, but not slow either. If let's say he had O'Dowda's physical attributes then he'd be a prem player. No player at their prime age at this level will be great at everything. 

What he can do and often does do shows he's a bloody good player at this level imo. I'm not against not playing him though as we have so many options, especially when Williams and Walsh are back. But he's really not been bad at all imo and always gives everything.

My issue with Pato this season isn't about a lack of ability or work-rate, it's with him being played in central midfield. Being further forward, without the defensive duties, gets the best out of him, IMO. He took his goal superbly last night. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed, the OP reckons 5 poor displays on the run from him, what absolute bollocks.

Paterson has played more minutes than anyone except Vyner, it is no surprise he is shattered. He isn’t coasting, he’s knackered.

The fact that Pato has played a lot of minutes proves nowt, he has contributed very little in previous 5 games and was overdue being dropped. He has then come and played really well. Like I said a Pato who knows he has to be 'on it' to keep his place is good for us.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think he’s often “hands on hips” during a game.  He’s a bit of a “pointer” to other people to do his running.

As for output....no arguments there at all.  He does enough work-rate wise....but he’s quite happy for someone to do his bit ???

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think he’s naturally fit....not seen any real drop off through tiredness - although maybe he’d just tipped the balance ahead of last night, just as a “creative type” he’ll have in and out games.  But for that type of player he’s currently as consistent as you get.

I think he’s been generally really good this season.

20 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

The fact that Pato has played a lot of minutes proves nowt, he has contributed very little in previous 5 games and was overdue being dropped. He has then come and played really well. Like I said a Pato who knows he has to be 'on it' to keep his place is good for us.

Arghhhhh, he wasn’t dropped, he was rested ??? Downing told us that pre- match, e.g. he can’t play every game.  Worked a treat....although I’d rather we’d not been so crap for 68 mins.

Archived